MTV Interview with Guillermo

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

If there is a merciful Eru in the universe, we won't get any more of Viggo or Liv. =:) But that's just me. :D

The more movies the better, AFAIC.
Dig deeper.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

NO! Must have Viggo. Liv I could do without. :D In fact, I'd there was any way to include Sean Bean... :love:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Frelga wrote:NO! Must have Viggo. Liv I could do without. :D In fact, I'd there was any way to include Sean Bean... :love:
Holy cats, I'd rather have Viggo than Sean Bean.

However, I have read somewhere that someone is planning to show Boromir and Faramir growing up off there in Minas Tirith. Sorta fan ficcy, but might add interest.

Well. Really FANFICCY, I guess. Prolly wishful thinking. :D
Dig deeper.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Sean Bean. Sigh. :love: But that wouldn't fit.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

WampusCat wrote:Sean Bean. Sigh. :love: But that wouldn't fit.
There must be a way. He fit very nicely into TTT and ROTK, even though his character was dead.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Oh I am sure there will be poncey elves flitting about, though I would be pleasantly surprised if Liv were one of them. We need some eye candy and Viggo, Sean and the rest of them hardly qualify in my book.
Doubtful that any of them will make more than a cameo though.

Whatever happens, I doubt I will be surprised. I seen the first set of movies. =:)
kams

Post by kams »

Still not convinced. End the first movie at the death of Smaug? If I remember correctly, wasn't Bilbo feeling guilty that Smaug traced their company back to Laketown? That adds in to Bilbo's decision to give Bard the Arkenstone as a bargaining chip.

What about the parallel between Smaug's greed and Thorin's? Flashbacks? When reading the book, I got the sense that Smaug's death was out of the frying pan into the fire for Bilbo and the dwarves. Why split that in two?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

For Tension? Cliffhanger? Money :twisted:

For me it comes down to the simple fact that the more of F2 thats based on canon, the less that will need to be manufactured. And that is an encouraging thought....
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Whatever the details are, I feel confident in saying that the film Hobbit will parallel PJ's LOTR, far more than Tolkien's. Of all the news I have heard so far about this project, the most telling is GDT saying the Hobbit will in fact be the first two parts of LOTR as opposed to two separate entities.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Perhaps we'll see Aragorn as a precocious 6-year-old who has amazing reflexes and uncanny abilities in sword swinging. So Elrond tests his midichlorian count and ...

:scarey:

kams

Post by kams »

YAHHHHHH! NOOOOOO!!!!

Alatar, didn't you already have a write-up about that nightmare?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:bow: I must have wiped that from my memory. Brilliant but scary.

kams

Post by kams »

Inspired, I'd say! :D :D :D

For me it comes down to the simple fact that the more of F2 thats based on canon, the less that will need to be manufactured. And that is an encouraging thought....
Well..... you have a point about canon. However, the Hobbit is not that long of a story. I think we would be best served by making the best movie out of the Hobbit material than making the best double-feature-because-we-have-the-money-for-it-and-only-so-much-canon.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Just because there is canon doesn't mean it will be used. There was plenty of invention in LOTR, and I doubt the Hobbit will be any different.