Independent film - The Hunt for Gollum

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Is it really illegal to distribute fan faction? :scratch:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Publishing on the web is "distributing" but no one yet sued a fangirl for doing disgusting things to Legolas. It should be illegal, though. =:)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Speak for yourself, Frelga. :whistle:

I haven't read fanfic in a long time—life is too busy these days—but some of what I did read is excellent by any standard. The trick is finding it, because most of it is not excellent by any standard.

That may be one reason it gets left alone—there's just so darn much of it, and it's clear nobody's making any money from it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

LATEST UPDATE:

THE HUNT FOR GOLLUM fan movie is scheduled for release as a FREE DOWNLOAD on May 3rd 2009.

More details on TORn:
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2009/02 ... more-31077
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Thanks, Elen! I look forward to seeing it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sorry to bump this when there's another thread already active, but the discussion was here so I figured the answer should be too:
We got in touch with Tolkien Enterprises and reached an understanding with them that as long as we are completely non-profit then we're okay. We have to be careful not to disrespect their ownership of the intellectual property. They are supportive of the way fans wish to express their enthusiasm.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Great - that's a relief! :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I watched the first 10 minutes. Nothing wrong with it, so far. Not a "real" movie, obviously made on the cheap, but still pretty good.
Dig deeper.