Cast Speculation

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The queen of the appropriate emoticoms strikes again!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It was like this with Ian McKellen, IIRC—lots of "Oh, I would love to play the role, if it's offered" and lots of friendly praise but no specifics from PJ et al. That drove me nuts. I'd be happy to see Weaving back, but anyone other than Iain McKellen playing Gandalf would have been a disaster in my view.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Ethelwynn

Post by Ethelwynn »

OTOH, think of the excuse we've got to use all the chocolate, prozac, and alcohol we want. We have to do something to combat the stress, after all . . . ;)
Bite off more than you can chew. Then, chew it. Ask for seconds.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

We're supposed to have an excuse? :shock:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Looks like it's a done deal for Itaril...
Saoirse Ronan is looking forward to her first ever music festival. She’s already booked her ticket for Oxegen in County Kildare and is very excited about a line-up that features some of her favourite bands (Arctic Monkeys, Black Eyed Peas) and the chance to sleep in a caravan with three of her best friends. ‘That will be so cool,’ she giggles. ‘I wouldn’t even mind a tent in the mud, I so want to go!’

Like most 17-year-olds she’s music-mad, and is all set for an adventure that has become a rite of passage for teenagers across Europe. That is, if work doesn’t get in the way....

...She’s about to play Itaril the Elf in Peter Jackson’s film based on Tolkien’s The Hobbit, which has begun shooting in New Zealand. Peter also chose her for the highly coveted role of Susie Salmon in his 2009 movie The Lovely Bones (for which she got a Bafta nomination), so he’s clearly a fan. But of course it would mean missing Oxegen. ‘I know! It’s crazy, but I’m going to see if I can fly back for it – that’s how much I want to go!’
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Did HoF just get a Hobbit scoop before TORN? :D
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Hehe, yes looks like it...but I should admit I spotted it in a post on The Barrow Downs! :3face:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

Martin Freeman just won a BAFTA award and in his speech he said that Benedict Cumberbach has been cast for The Hobbit.

http://news.scotsman.com/pa-entertainme ... 6772602.jp
How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Interesting. It must be fun to cast a set of films that many really good actors want to be in. If this is PJ doing a favor for Martin Freeman, he's hardly hurting the films by doing it.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

OOh! He could play a great Elf Lord from Rivendell, or possibly Bard?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm guessing Bard, just because it doesn't make sense for him to come for a lesser part. Of course, the Elf Lord could be a big part, though I hope not.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Steadfast wrote:I'm guessing Bard, just because it doesn't make sense for him to come for a lesser part.
That does seem like the most likely explanation, but unfortunate. My idea of Bard is much older than that. I joked on TORC that with Stephen Fry in, they'd need to get Hugh Laurie for Bard. I wasn't serious, but Laurie does have the age and the type of face I picture.

I'm going to hold out hope that Cumberbach is an elf in the b-plot. He looks elvish.
Voronwë the Faithful

He is a little young for Bard (he's about 35), but I think they could make it work, if they grim him up. They certainly could do worse.

(Please, not Hugh Laurie; that would be awful.)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think Hugh Laurie is an excellent actor, but if he appears on screen anywhere near Stephen Fry, the mood would be shattered for a lot of people.

By himself I don't think he would be awful at all. I no longer watch House, but I think he's very effective in that dramatic and often grim role.

Edit: "warch"? Gah.
Last edited by Primula Baggins on Mon May 23, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Exactly. Pairing him with Fry would be too cute, but in an alternate universe where he was a virtual unknown who'd only done bit parts, I think he'd be a good choice.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Bard seems to be the obvious role considering his dark looks, but he most definitely would make a great slightly aloof High Elf - dare one hope he might be cast as Glorfindel? Surely the White Council business would provide a decent-sized role for him...
~Diana Cortes
eborr

Post by eborr »

I think Hugh Laurie would be great in either a Kingly role please see Blackadder 3 or alternatively as a brave heroic warrior type see Blackadder goes Forth

On the subject of Mr Cumberbatch, although I recognise that Sherlock Holmes was very well recieved, I personally did not find enough in it to watch seriously, to my mind you cannot replace Jermey Brett, however he is an actor of talent, who will add to the films.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Apparently he was once asked for a favourite role and answered "Smaug in The Hobbit".

Now, that I can really see!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Here's the interview (or at least one interview) in which he said that:

http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/londonth ... rbatch.htm

It's from July of 2010, so it is reasonable to think that he might have auditioned for the role by then. Very, very interesting.

And if it is true, than it is an indication that the Reddit guy (who insisted that the Voice of Smaug was someone who had been heard twice in LOTR) was full of it.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Who is Bret McKenzie playing? He was listed in the article that Voronwë posted in the other thread. Is he playing Lindir for sure?