Film 2 - The Attack of the Returning Phantom Ranger

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Film 2 - The Attack of the Returning Phantom Ranger

Post by Alatar »

I believe this screenplay outline will work perfectly to tie together the disparate strands of storyline into a cohesive whole! All the names and concepts are copyright me, cause I said so, and if Guillermo uses any of the names or plot points I demand 27% of the Gross.

We first meet Aragorn as a young boy living with his mother in Eriador, when Gandalf and Radagast find themselves stranded there after trade negotiations that went badly wrong. Then young Estel, who is a slave of an Easterling named Brodda, enters a race to win them the gold to buy new horses. The Wizards are impressed and wonder at the youngsters ability. Gandalf realises that the blood of the Numenoreans flows strongly in his veins, and wonders if this is the child the prophecy spoke of, who would bring unity to Gondor. He brings young Estel to Rivendell (conveniently leaving his mother behind in captivity) to be trained by Elrond, who shows his now characteristic grumpiness.

Young Estel, as he grows, chafes under the restrictions placed on him by Elrond. During this time he meets and falls in love with a princess, called Arwen, but he thinks its hopeless cause she's a bit older than he is. Meanwhile, he hears that his Mother has been taken captive by Orcs. He hunts them down and finds her just before she dies, when she tells him of his true heritage. Her dying words are "Onen i-Estel Edain, ú-chebin estel anim - I gave Hope to the Dúnedain, I have kept no hope for myself." Enraged, young Aragorn, slaughters all the orcs, even the cute baby ones. This plagues his conscience and he begins to wonder if the weakness of Isildur also flows in his veins. He begins to have dreams about Arwen, (no not that kind) and see's her dying in childbirth, so he begins a search to find a way to save her.

He sets off on an epic quest, disguising himself as Thorongil and serving under Thengel and Ecthelion. During this time he discovers that Ecthelion has a palantír and thinks that perhaps with this he can see the unimaginable hand of Fëanor, the Master Healer at work, and perhaps find a way to save Arwen. However, Denethor, Ecthelions son, is jealous of Thorongil and thwarts his plans. Aragorn returns to Rivendell, his bitterness mounting.

Meanwhile the Necromancer has been raising an army of Orcs in Dol Guldor and Gandalf summons the White Council to face the rising threat. The head of the council, Saruman, takes particular interest in young Aragorn, seeing in him a tool who can be shaped to his own needs. He reveals to Aragorn his own palantír and beins to instruct him in the use of it. Gandalf sets off on the quest for Erebor, leaving Aragorn under Saramuns influence. Aragorn easily falls under the sway of the seemingly kindly old Wizard. He starts to believe that Elrond has been deliberately holding him back from his full potential because he does not want Aragorn to be powerful enough to win his daughter Arwen. Aragorn becomes embittered and whiny. Gandalf returns to force the White Council to action. Gandalf cannot understand the change in Aragorn, and fears for him. He warns Aragorn against trusting too much in the palantír, but Aragorn refuses to listen.

They attack Dol Goldur with the full force of the Elves, but Aragorn is led to believe that the secret to saving Arwen is contained in Dol Guldor. He butchers hundreds of Elves, including the younglings, before realising his mistake. In shame, he renounces the kingship and chooses exile...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

:help:

Will Aragorn also be blond and pouty? ;)

Needless to say, I'll be giving this one a miss. :P
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Brilliant, Al! :rofl:

(At least I think that is the right word. :help: )
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

If GdT steals any of these ideas for his script, by all means go ahead and sue him—but personally I'll buy a ticket to New Zealand and kick his . . . rear.

:help:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

I'm looking forward to Aragorn's swordfight with Gandalf in the fires of the Sammath Naur......
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Scary, scary, scary, scary!!!! :shock:

especially the cute little younglings, orcs or otherwise -- :help:

I mean, orcs and elves as Muppet Babies?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh, the Escher-like irony of a Tolkien-based movie ripping off a Tolkien rip-off.
:rofl:
Well done, Alatar. I do believe you covered all the bases. Did you forget the ending? The one where Aragorn travels bring him to the peaceful Shire, where he witnesses a boating accident. He is too late to save the two hobbit parents, but does rescue a child. He brings the boy to Bilbo to be raised, but not before the revelation of the child's destiny awakens his better feelings and sets him on the path of redemption.

You read it here first.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Al, you did leave out one important character:

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Nooooooo!!

Help me Jebus!
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
kams

Post by kams »

Padme
Nooooooo!!
You would say that, Padme!! :)

Great synopsis, Alatar! :clap:

Do we get our first glimpse of Mt. Doom where there is a showdown fight between Gandalf and Aragorn?
Or perhaps we'll get all sorts of slams over the ol' noggin during the White Council sessions (Hmm... which side of the Saruman/Palpatine really on? Gee, I can't tell, except for the voice, the overly long close ups, the dialog)
Folca

Post by Folca »

Bwa-ha-ha-ha! Thanks for the entertainment.
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
"Those who commit honorable acts need no forgiveness"
http://killology.com/sheep_dog.htm