GdT and Spoilers

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

GdT and Spoilers

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

We've already seen how willing del Toro is to share information, or at least some information. In an article in EW, he makes his intentions pretty explicit:
Pan's Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro plans on being pretty transparent as he embarks on The Hobbit. ''It's easier to protect the 20 percent of a project that's really sensitive if you're open about the other 80 percent,'' he says. ''I think that's the way to go, especially with a project like The Hobbit, which is a holy book for so many people. People should know the path you're walking.''
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20203864_3,00.html

What do you think of this? Is this a good thing, or a bad thing. Too much information? And if so, why not just avoid it?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, I'm of the opinion that I really can't be overly spoiled for the Hobbit. The Sprequel is another matter though.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Al, would you, for instance, want to see full pictures of Smaug before seeing the film?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My attitude during the LotR films will be my attitude with these: spoil me rotten.

With LotR, the book was so important to me that I couldn't bear not to know the worst of what was done to it. If I hadn't known about the changes beforehand, I would have been unpleasantly apprehensive while watching the films and probably more unhappy about PJ's "liberties" than I ended up being.

The Hobbit is less important to me, but I still feel the same way.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Regarding The Hobbit, I agree, Prim, although I don't think that I would want to see what Smaug looks like before hand. But I see Al's point regarding Film2 (sorry, but I don't think "Sprequel" is quite accurate). Since we have so little idea what is going to be in it, it might be fun to be surprised. On the other hand, the need to be "prepared" for the liberties that the filmmakers take may actually be even greater with that film. ;)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I think Sprequel is pretty much perfectly accurate! Its half sequel to the Hobbit and Half prequel to LotR. At least, based on what they've suggested it will be about, its accurate. If it ends up being anything else, then hooray, but right now, thats what they've described!.

No, I don't want to see pics of Smaug, but I think that's in the 10%. I'm talking more about things like, say, Bilbo escapes the Elves a different way than in the book or something. I don't mind knowing things like that.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

I think 'spoilers', in other words indications of what the production team is up to, can be very useful in a practical sense: after all, it was leaked news of Xenarwen at Helm's Deep that led to fan outcry and the scrubbing of that Very Bad idea.
Folca

Post by Folca »

Primula Baggins wrote:My attitude during the LotR films will be my attitude with these: spoil me rotten.

With LotR, the book was so important to me that I couldn't bear not to know the worst of what was done to it. If I hadn't known about the changes beforehand, I would have been unpleasantly apprehensive while watching the films and probably more unhappy about PJ's "liberties" than I ended up being.

The Hobbit is less important to me, but I still feel the same way.
I agree a hundred percent with you on this. I didn't have any warnings for PJ's liberties and was quite upset with several of them, including the assassination of Faramir's noble character in the movie as opposed to the character presented in the book and the petty trickery to get the Ents to go to war in the film whereas they were active participants originally.
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
"Those who commit honorable acts need no forgiveness"
http://killology.com/sheep_dog.htm