Bilbo in Film 2?

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I don't either, but tens of millions of pre-teen and teen girls would disagree. :P

vison, here's hoping the films don't disappoint either of us. Or any of us.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Primula Baggins wrote:here's hoping the films don't disappoint either of us. Or any of us.
The chances of that are approximately 0%.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

If I am not the one making what I deem to be the interpretation of Tolkien's story then I will be disappointed in the film at some point or another. Tolkien speaks to all of us in different ways and there is no way to satisfy everyone.

IMO there were so many liberties taken with LOTR, that these movies can hardly help but failing less in that respect anyway. Of course these movies can also miss capturing some moments like the LOTR films did for me.

I may find them flat or unappealing, but I hardly think I will be as angry upon exiting the theater.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oh, I know that's impossible. Like shooting one arrow through ten thousand widely spaced targets. Can't happen.

Nevertheless, I would be happy if at least some of the fine and estimable people who were bitterly disappointed in PJ's LotR can find a little joy in GdT's Hobbit.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

kams wrote:Still having doubts about taking the simpler, direct story of the Hobbit and puffing it out into two movies.
I honestly prefer that to the idea they were mooting about a second 'bridge' film.

That all seemed far too hasty a concept to me, far too hasty indeed.

Two Bilbo films ... you know, it could be worse. :D

And I keenly anticipate GDT's Smaug. 8)

Also want a hot Bard. =:)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Primula Baggins wrote:He has a reason to be there in that his presence fits the history of Middle-earth. He does not have a story reason to be there. He, Legolas, doesn't do anything in the story and is not a named presence in the book. So unless something like that is invented for him in the film, he would literally just be "a pretty face" in the background, and a distracting one.
What I could see him do in The Hobbit would be, for example, leading the patrol of Elves who arrest the Dwarves. Though, I'd rather see that done by the Captain of the Guard who later gets drunk with Galion the butler.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu