An Unexpected Party - live chat with PJ and Del Toro May 24

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Q: Age target?

A: intense PG13
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Q: Will Hobbit get an extended edition?

PJ: Not anticipated at this time

GdT: too early to answer
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Q: same FX team?

GdT: many the same ... stick to as many original elements as possible. I will supplement the team with others

Q: talking animals - trolls, eagles, etc. ... speech was absent in LotR ... how about Hobbit?

GdT: definitely Smaug will talk. Re talking beasts, will do it exactly as in the book.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Q: casting yet for dwarfs?

A: no casting yet. Can't really do it until personalities emerge from script. Have talked to a few actors about it, but no decisions.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Q: light children's tale or darker?

GdT: darker ... references loss of innocence in England after WWI ... will try to reflect this in camera style, color palette, choice of voices, etc.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Peter: Hobbit should have different tone (from LotR), the shadow is not so dark, however reality should stay the same as ME

Q: movies shot at same time?

GdT: back to back ... driven by locations/actors in use at any given time. Basically simultaneous whenever this is efficient
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Q: was 10 year anniversary of FotR chosen deliberately as release date?

GdT: No, didn't realize it

Q: will there be assistant directors? Will PJ direct some of the movie?

PJ: most don't like asst directors - I wanted to do it all myself but couldn't. G. likes to do his own. I'd be happy to do some second unit stuff, anytime G. asked me to. But let's see how it goes.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Q: more prosthetics a la Hellboy and PL? Or will WETA still do most by CGI?

GdT: Must have a mix, not let one take over. WETA is lead house, but we'll beef up with creature teams and prosthetics teams. Imagine a physical creature with radio controlled muscle/facial systems but with partial CGI for head or mouth, etc. and you'll start to get the idea ...

Q: when did you guys meet the first time?

PJ: At Bob Shay's house during the LotR movie party

GdT: we had a tray of shrimps together and agreed that New Line should keep hiring round, bearded directors with funny accents

editing speed-typing typos
Last edited by Jnyusa on Sun May 25, 2008 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Q: Lee and Howe in on it again?

GdT: Most definitely

Q: Title of second movie?

GdT: Too early ... "H2 Electric Boogaloo" has been discarded

PJ: won't have title until we write the script
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Tsk ... digruntled chatter called PJ and GdT "Buggers" for not answering her questions. I think she meant to hit the comment button but hit the chat button by mistake. Both directors asked for her patience. LOL
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Q: Peter, what's your role? What does an executive producer do?

Do you plan on writing the script again with F and P?

P: EP's do lots of things, from everything to nothing ....all four of us will be writing, will create the blueprint .... help G construct the moves

Q: wargs in Hobbit are different from wargs in LotR. Will it be so on film?

GdT: yes, will be faithful to talking wargs of the book
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Q: video diaries ... oh wait, darn, GdT just posted a long entry from his notes on the movie. I'll have to read this, summarize and post it later

editing this in:

Emphasized the "need to own" as the major theme of the book; Thorin's greed as a thematic extension of Smaug's greed; moral difficulty of Bilbo's decision to 'betray' Thorin.

Talked about the creation of Smaug ... how all movie dragons are modeled after a few basic successful ideas, and he wants to do something groundbreaking ... considered the presentation of Smaug before he considered anything else about the movie. The way Smaug is scaled, his movement, the lighting on him, how he is revealed to the audience, his "arrogance, intelligence, sophistication."

This was a lengthy treatise ... and there was another long entry by GdT regarding his view of fantasy literature. Probably best to read the whole transcript for these passages. Quite interesting to hear him talk about his ideas.
Last edited by Jnyusa on Sun May 25, 2008 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Q: will PJ direct Hellboy III?

GdT: talks begun, too soon to say

Q: will White Council be in the Hobbit?

PJ: too early to say but under consideration

Q: How important is overall consistency with LotR?

GdT: the world must feel the same, aspect ratio etc. but I would love to bring a lot of new flavours to the table. The Hobbit is an overture to a symphonic work ...

PJ: I love G's syphonic allusion. The overture can have a different flavour and yet be a carefully crafted introduction .... Film two is perfect to dramatize the shift in ME that propels us into LotR ....
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Q: is the Hobbit easier to adapt?

PJ: both equally difficult in different ways

GdT: I am trying to preserve every idiosyncracy the novel has. Things that make it 'unfilmable' are what will make it thrilling ... want a living breathing narrative unfolding right then and there
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Q: Gollum arc?

A: there can't be too much Andy

Q: Production challenges?

A: both elaborated a bit on the usual challenges; this film not different from others in that respect

Q: From whence the material for the second film?

GdT: Idea is to enhance all five films visually and in cosmology. Enough licensed material available

PJ: really looking forward to film two... 60 year gap, lots going on for Gandalf .. may choose one short section of time to zoom in on and dramatize
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Q: big visual difference from Hobbit to LotR because of GdT's differing aesthetics?

GdT: basic pre-established designs will only be updated .. but think how much our world has changed from 2001 to now ... there will be room for stylistic differences

Oh dear, another long excerpt from pre-written stuff by GdT. Can't get all this, folks, and I'm afraid my screen will go away once the chat ends.

Tolkien channels an entire world, he says ... that is the sense he wants to capture

The long speech was in response to someone who said that GdT doesn't like Tolkien enough to do the movie. Wants PJ back.
Last edited by Jnyusa on Sun May 25, 2008 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Q: actors reprising their roles in Hobbit?

A: no, the film where this might be relevant would be film 2. They won't recast same actors playing different roles in Hobbit, but might reprise some characters done by their original actors in f2
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Goodbye's from both directors. Transcript WILL be available at WETA website in a few hours.

http://www.wetanz.com
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Thank you for doing this, Jn! There are some very encouraging nuggets of news in there.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Your welcome, Prim. WETA has not yet posted the transcript, but TORN has:

LIVE CHAT.