If Arwen had been cut from the films

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Mrs.Underhill, I just wanted you to know that I will respond to your fabulous post (with a far less fabulous one) as soon as I can give it the time it deserves. Voronwë has been called away for a few days, or I feel sure he would already have done so.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Mrs.Underhill wrote:TTT was my favorite movie of the three and it's even more so now
:shock: :shock: I am not alone! :bow:

Hello. You're my new favorite person. :D
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I love FOTR more, but I enjoy TTT most of the three movies. It's got the Rohirrim! And the wargs. :P
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I loved TTT most as well. It's got lots of Saruman, and that's always good. The battle at Helms Deep was surprisingly good, even if it did have some silly bits (Legols making a skateboard out of a shield etc.) It's my favorite book too, come to think of it.

But the music in FOTR was the best, even if it doesn't have Eowyns theme.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Mrs.Underhill

Post by Mrs.Underhill »

yovargas wrote: :shock: :shock: I am not alone! :bow:

Hello. You're my new favorite person. :D
Why, thanks. :) But we are not that few!
We had a poll once on our forum about which of the 3 movies is a favorite. TTT came in last but with healthy 20% of the votes. Not that bad! :)

But I must say that my favorite EE additions are for FOTR. My favorite TTT would be something in the middle between theatrical and EE, as lots of extra scenes weren't that good.
Still I love it for the epic majesty, all those plot threads, great treatment of Rohirrim, and last but not least, the Frodo-Sam-Gollum triangle. I loved Gollum and the way they managed to convey Frodo's terrible burden.
And Helm's Deep battle was awesome! And Ents' battle too! And I even came to appreciate Osgiliath as a pinnacle of despair and horror of that war, and of Frodo's plight. And I even understood and accepted and felt for Filmamir - even though he's a totally different, and lesser, guy than in the book.
And Arwen and her EvenStar - they shined in TTT.

But it's my least favorite book. So go figure. Maybe I liked movie so much because it made me appreciate that book more, especially the Rohan part.
Last edited by Mrs.Underhill on Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Mrs.Underhill wrote:We had a poll once on our forum about which of the 3 movies is a favorite. TTT came in last but with healthy 20% of the votes. Not that bad! :)
Oh? That's not that bad. I thought I'd seen other polls about that had much lower numbers, something closer to single-digits. Certainly the number of people on the sites who I've heard say it's their favorite is in the single-digits!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Mrs.Underhill

Post by Mrs.Underhill »

I moved this post to "Why the TTT is the least liked movie" thread, to prevent Osgiliating of this thread. :)
Last edited by Mrs.Underhill on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Far from it.

RoTK is my favorite despite its flaws, but I would probably have chosen "It's all one big movie." I haven't seen it in many months, but we're setting up our new plasma TV in a week or so—I've been saving this for that! :D

I think TTT's score is my favorite. And Helm's Deep has an undeniable power because it is made personal. Seeing the young boys being armed (pathetically) to help fight ten thousand Orcs . . . it gets me every time. PJ gets criticism from some for making the stakes of the battle so explicit—the boys, the babies in the caves—but for me it works very well. I don't think I'm a sentimentalist, but I approve, in general, of emotion.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King