LOTR DVD vs. HD

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

LOTR DVD vs. HD

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html

Move your cursor over the pictures to see the difference.

HD is clearly superior, but is the difference sufficiently noticeable?

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Oh, yes, very noticeable to me! Vastly superior in detail!

But...I don't understand enough about the way the shots were taken to understand whether it is due to inherent superiority of the technology (I read through the explanation twice, but I still don't really understand it).
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

My goodness, extremely noticable. Though I'm not sure how much I would care watching the film that I could see every hair in Gandalf's beard. ;) But the picture of Rivendell really makes a big difference.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Having seen HD on my parents' 60-inch plasma set, I have to say that the difference is even more noticeable at full size. I haven't seen this exact comparison, as they don't have an HD-DVD player, but programs shown in HD have an astonishing level of detail.

Someday. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

We just bought a 46" HD-compatible TV and then watched ROTK using one of those HD-upsclaed DVD players. And it was awesome. And watching normal TV now, that "feel" is just not there. And the larger the TV, the more evident the difference.

Though did anyone notice how the DVD and HD were not from the same shot but consecutive ones? Its fun to see Aragorn's head moving. tick-tock, tick-tock. ;)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The detail looks astonishinh but is it just me or are the colors duller?
It could just be the way he transferred or something but I wouldn't trade color for detail.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I thought the colors were duller in the DVD sample... look at the Bag End one.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

:scratch:
The HD shots were a lot darker. More focussed, yes, but at the expense of brightness.
Not sure where the improvement is.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, brightness is adjustable on any TV set. I don't think HD is inherently dark, and it is certainly not less colorful, based on the HD broadcasts I've seen.

The increased sharpness and realism is especially striking in natural landscapes. I find it makes a huge difference in my appreciation; regular television now seems blurry, as if I need to clean my lenses!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The shot in the Emyn Muil is strikingly better in HD.
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Mahima wrote:Though did anyone notice how the DVD and HD were not from the same shot but consecutive ones? Its fun to see Aragorn's head moving. tick-tock, tick-tock. ;)
Yes, and Gimli jumping to and fro... :P

But, there's a clear difference in the quality.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

When did the HD version come out? Is it just on TV or was it released on Blu-Ray or HDef?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:scratch: I thought I had read either an actual announcement, or a rumor so convincing I accepted it as fact, that New Line would be releasing the theatrical (!) versions in HD, with minimal extras. And everyone was disappointed—who wants to buy the theatrical editions again? I remember posting that they weren't getting my money with this one.

Sorry—I must have dreamed it.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

But who gets the Extended Edition? Find out…

It’s not something I’d normally blog on, but I’m a huge Lord of the Rings fan, and would naturally prefer the Blu-Ray version to be the best having just bought a PS3 (and don’t own a HD-DVD player).

Well, yay for me:

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will be released on both Blu-ray and HD-DVD on November 23, 2007.

As a gesture of good faith over the Matrix release, New Line/WB will be releasing only the Extended Editions on Blu-ray at this time, while HD-DVD will get only the Theatrical Versions.

The Blu-ray version will be on a BD50 in VC-1 with PCM. It will also showcase a lot of the neat features of BD-J.

I’m hoping this is a credible source. It’s certainly not a press release, but the source (link below) seems fairly sure…
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Thanks, Alatar. I hope it works out.

But I was leaning toward HD-DVD, not Blu-Ray. Not that it matters; I won't be buying an HDTV anytime soon, so I can afford to sit out this format war.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

HD is better, sort of. A friend of mine moved and left me a HD plasma TV, it’s a small 42 inch one, so it’s not all the bells and whistles. Anyway I was watching RoTK on TNT and was sort of wowed by the big stuff, but the close up shots where you can see the pores on peoples faces kind of is not a bonus in my opinion. I have noticed that with other stuff too, I am fine with everything but close ups, I guess if I wanted to see bad pores I could look in the mirror.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Only in America could someone describe a 42" plasma as "small".

:)
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Well it is the smallest plasma around, I think. I would perfer the 50 or 60 inch job, but I ain't complain' too much as it was given to me because moving it to San Antonio could ruin it. ;)
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.