Favorite/Least favorite non-purists scenes

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I rewatched the Amon Sûl scene. The wraiths screech a bit as they approach the hill, and during the fight with Aragorn. During the actual attack on the hobbits and Frodo, though, they are silent. I think that's the part I was thinking of.
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Well, this thread has been osgiliated anyway...
solicitr wrote:PJ blew it big-time by including that gratuitous hobbit-head-lopping, and equipping them with steel gauntlets and sollerets and swords, and (mistakenly) having the RW attack the Prancing Pony.
In a manuscript quoted in Hammond and Scull's The LOTR: A Reader's Companion, it turns out that it really was two of the Ringwraiths that attacked the PP.

The Black Riders' gear may look a bit heavy for an immaterial being, but I don't find it quite as wrong as you obviously do - in the book, at Weathertop, Aragorn finds the footprints made by "many booted feet" just a couple of days earlier.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The wraiths are not so much immaterial or intangible as they are faded, I think, out of our world and into the shadow. They have bodies, which can be damaged, or dissipated (note the empty cloaks found after the flood of the Bruinen), and then reformed, so long as the Ring exists that binds theirs.