LOTR Voted 'Best Movie Adaptation'

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Sunsilver

LOTR Voted 'Best Movie Adaptation'

Post by Sunsilver »

Wow, I can't believe we missed this! (Okay, I have to start visiting 'that other site's' front page more often!)

http://www.theonering.com/The-Lord-of-t ... es/20136/1

Text of the article:
Posted by Jonathan

Visitors at Amazon.com have voted The Lord of the Rings films "The Greatest Adaptation of all Time". Considering the competition, I'd say it would've definitely been the best one for me too (when it comes to pure entertainment value). Here's the list:

1)The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
2) To Kill a Mockingbird
3) The Princess Bride
4) The Silence of the Lambs
5) L.A. Confidential
6) Apocalypse Now
7) The Shining
8 ) Pride and Prejudice (A&E, 1996)
9) A Christmas Story
10) The Maltese Falcon
11) Sense and Sensibility
12) The Hunt for Red October
13) Rebecca
14) The English Patient
15) Little Women
16) The World According to Garp
17) A Room with a View
18 ) The Unbearable Lightness of Being
19) Howards End
20) The Dead

Comments? Discussion? Or has the horse been finally beaten to death?

(Thinks she sees a Purist lurking in the shadows, stringing his bow...)
Last edited by Sunsilver on Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wasn't Godfather an adaptation?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Yes, it was, Yov. The book by Mario Puzo was pretty darn good, too.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Something's wrong with that list if Godfather's not even in the top 20. :scratch:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Yes, I know, that is a bit strange. I was going to say maybe it was too long ago, but then I saw the Maltese Falcon and Lilies of the Fields listed.
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

I am very suprised that LOTR topped To Kill a Mockingbird. It's been a long time since I read the latter, but that was a brilliant movie and it has Gregory Peck. LOTR was great and I won't argue that it wasn't well adapted, but I do think it could have been better. I'm also suprised to see Princess Bride up there and have to wonder if people voted for it as a movie, not as an adaptation. I haven't seen all of the 1996 P&P, but that also seems sort of low on the list. I'm not really a fan of the book but even I sort of enjoyed the series and it seemed a very faithful adaptation.
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Re: LOTR Voted 'Best Movie Adaptation'

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Sunsilver wrote:Or has the horse been finally beaten to death?
Or in the case of The Godfather, had its head lopped off and put in our bed. :shock:
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Best movie adaptation?

Now this is the kind of discussion I used to love having at TORC. :D

PJ's LOTR is a very good adaptation, in the sense that PJ took a much beloved book and translated it to screen extremely effectively, satisfying both hardcore devotees and people who wouldn't know Tolkien from, well, their elbow. :)

Of course I think his adaptation could have been even better in places ... I'm a Tolkienista, for goodness sake. PJ sometimes does the most infuriating things with the material (e.g. Frodo sending Sam away, :rage: ) But his film trilogy really does deserve to be seen as magnificent. He captures so many iconic moments, and the films often achieve the sublime. :love: And for the luvva pete, it's still our beloved LOTR up there on the screen, when all is said and done. :)

As for the other films on the list, I can only comment on those in which I have both read the book and seen the film adaptation:

8 ) Pride and Prejudice (A&E, 1996)
Ahem, BBC 1995. :P Yes, this is a delightful and faithful adaptation, IMO. Low points: shrieking Alison Steadman as Mrs Bennet. High points: the sexing up of Jane Austen. :P

11) Sense and Sensibility
I love Ang Lee's film version. Very good adaptation indeed. Quibbles: Emma Thompson is too old for Marianne, but her performance is lovely. I adore Kate Winslet as Marianne - perfectly cast, perfectly played. Low point: Hugh Grant as Edward. Grant's dopey Englishman act really irritates me. The way he dithers about drives me CRACKERS.

13) Rebecca (Hitchcock, 1940)
Now we're talking. This is probably one of the most PERFECT adaptations of a book EVER. Srsly. Fabulous, fabulous film.

14) The English Patient
Hmmmm. Not sure. I read the book after I saw the film and my opinion of the film changed. Granted, this is a very, very difficult book to translate to screen. Best thing in the film was Juliet Binoche.

15) Little Women (1995)
Yeah, I like this. Good casting: Claire Danes as Beth is perfect. Susan Sarandon as Marmee is rather more palatable than Marmee in the book.

17) A Room with a View
Gorgeous film version. Very true to the book. Helena Bonham Carter is rather annoying as Lucy though. I liked Lucy better in the book.

19) Howards End
I liked the film. I can't remember whether I've read the book or not. :scratch: :shock: That's not very flattering to EM Forster, is it? :rofl: I've read his other books and liked them though.

I will add some others to the list, not mentioned in the Amazon list:

Cold Mountain (Anthony Minghella)
I loved the book, couldn't put it down. I thought Jude Law was well cast as Inman. But Nicole Kidman is totally miscast as Ada and so the film failed for me. I would have liked to have seen Julianne Moore in that role.

Great Expectations (BBC, 1999)
I just watched this, a friend lent it to me. Ioan Gruffud as Pip, Bernard Hill as Magwitch, Charlotte Rampling as Miss Havisham. I liked this a lot: very dark, atmospheric and moody, and the humour was dark too. A faithful adaptation, although a major plot point was changed in the final episode. It was handled well though and didn't impinge on the main storyline, which of course is the Pip/Magwitch/Estella narrative. The Pip/Estella relationship was brilliantly portrayed in this BBC version - very poignant, very convincing. David Lean's 1946 film version of 'Great Expectations' is generally regarded as one of the very finest film adaptations of all time. Regrettably I've never seen it.

Black Narcissus (Powell & Pressburger, 1946)
Fabulous British film version of Rumer Godden's novel. Very faithful to the story. Nuns get disturbed by their eerie outposting in the Himalayas and erotic tensions rise to the surface. Mad Sister Ruth is one of the scariest characters ever portrayed on film.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

They left off High Fidelity. :D
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I remember Kelennar praising the film adaptation of High Fidelity to the skies, as a fine example of a 'purist' adaptation. :P

I've not read the book or seen the film but personally it annoys me when a British story gets transplanted to the US.

Yes, Alfonzo Cuaron's 'A Little Princess', I'm looking at you. :x

Cuaron also covered the story with the icing sugar of political correctness. Puke.

The original story is edgier. It is, I think, Frances Hodgson Burnett's darkest story. She was a wonderful Edwardian writer of children's classics. :love: The Secret Garden, A Little Princess.

Oh well, at least Cuaron did a pretty good job with HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban. :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I remember Kelennar praising the film adaptation of High Fidelity to the skies, as a fine example of a 'purist' adaptation.
There was that thought in my reference, yes. :D But I also think, despite its transplantation, it hit all the right notes. There are some stories in which setting is inviolable, and some which could (and in a way do) take place anywhere. I would mention Shakespeare, but his stuff was written for performance AND for a stage dressed primarily by the imagination of his audience, so it's not a fair comparison.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

axordil wrote:But I also think, despite its transplantation, it hit all the right notes. There are some stories in which setting is inviolable, and some which could (and in a way do) take place anywhere.
Oh yes, of course. :)

And I can think you can do ANYTHING with Shakespeare, he is so timeless and universal. 8) :)
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

No mention of the 70s Three and Four Musketeers, which I think is the best adapatation of the book I've seen.

It was done by George Macdonald Fraser, one of my favourite authors.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Good catch, Aravar! Those two movies (filmed as one long movie and split into two by the studio, if memory serves) are in my collection, and they are great.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

One of the movie adaptations which I think is EXCELLENT is "Everything is illuminated".

They made changes from the book (which was needed, the book being the way it was), and made some I disagreed with - but on the whole they made a lovely movie out of a slightly .... off book - i mean not your usual fiction.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Pearly Di wrote:The original story is edgier. It is, I think, Frances Hodgson Burnett's darkest story. She was a wonderful Edwardian writer of children's classics. :love: The Secret Garden, A Little Princess.
And, Agnieszka Holland's 1993 movie version of The Secret Garden is on my list of good adaptations.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Anduril

Post by Anduril »

To repeat myself at TORC, I wonder if the voters actually read LOTR; and I wonder how they read it.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It isn't impossible to read and treasure LotR the book and still also greatly enjoy PJ's films. As you hint in another thread, not everyone reads the books in the same way, and I believe that can affect their reaction to the films.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

To add another, Miazaki's adaptation of Howls Moving Castle.

And I thought that To Kill A Mocking Bird should have topped it.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

2 Points of astonishment:

A Clockwork Orange isn't on the list.

The Hunt for Red October is.

Not to mention the absence of Ran, which is after all an 'adaptation' of King Lear- and certainly closer to the original than Apaocalypse Now.