It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:10 am 
Feeling grateful

Well, Big Brown made history today. He became the first horse going for the triple crown to finish dead last. A disappointing finish, for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:36 am 
Fëanoriondil

My dad says it's because they cut him off his steroids before the race. If so, it would be shocking if his wins at the other two hinged that much on his drugs!

My mom says it's fixed, because all horse-racing and boxing is fixed. Her father told her so ;).

But yes, very disappointing. I felt bad for the winners, though - all anyone could think to ask them about was how Big Brown lost! It's like, hello, no I'm not sad he didn't get the Triple Crown - I'm happy my jockey won the race! It was a very backhanded congratulations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:45 am 
Best friends forever

Steroids are legal in horseracing, at least right now. There is talk of banning them later this year.

According to what I've read, steroids don't affect horses the way they affect men, but I wouldn't know for sure.

I missed the race due to a series of unfortunate events - you guyz would either weep with laughter or weep FOR me if I spent the time to write it all down - but I daresay I will see a rerun at some point.

My horseracing friends are all bummed out.

As for finishing dead last, his jockey eased him up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:03 pm 
Daydream Believer.

The jockey eased him up. Could have been the broken hoof issue, or it could have been the steriod issue. Steroids do affect horses different than they do humans. Anyway the jockey must have felt something was wrong, I would rather BB came in last than gave it his all won and then had to be put down.

There was talk about the length of time between races not being quite enough time, the age of the horses being too young, and the problems with throughbred breeding because of too much cross-breeding with in family lines.