Quick puzzle

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Quick puzzle

Post by Alatar »

I got this in mail today. I have the answers also, for those who want them.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters " dw" and they are all common words. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S."
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Strawberries?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters " dw" and they are all common words. Name two of them.
dwell and dwimmer

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?
. ; , ? ! - ' " ( )
(that one seems unfair with a keyboard in front of me :P)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Hm...I'll give some of them a go...
?
3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?
Asparagus and onions?
Strawberries/
5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?
They put the bottle over the pear while it is still small and on the tree.
Dwarf is one. Dwelling another. Hm. Dweeb?
Off the top of my head: period, question mark, colon, semi-colon, exclamation point, quotation marks, comma, elipsis, dash, parenthesis, apostrophe
8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.
Lettuce?
9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S."
Socks. Shoes. Stockings. Slippers. Slides? Silly faces?

Still thinking about the other ones...
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: Quick puzzle

Post by Primula Baggins »

Fun, Alatar!

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

:scratch: Ya got me.

Niagara Falls.

Asparagus and artichokes? I don't know if either is technically a vegetable, though.

Yov's right.

They make this in Oregon. The bottle is put over the fruit on the tree when the fruit is still tiny. The fruit grows inside the bottle; when it's ripe, they take the bottle off the tree and add the brandy. This is why this kind of brandy costs sixty bucks a bottle.

Dwarf, too

Period, comma, colon, semicolon, quotation mark, apostrophe, exclamation point, question mark, hyphen, en dash, em dash, solidus, parenthesis, bracket. Some of those probably don't count as punctuation, though.

Cucumber

Shoes, socks, slippers, sandals, spikes, snowshoes?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Cucumber
What about pickles?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Faramond

Post by Faramond »

6. dwindle

9. sneakers

hey, I have a cat named sneakers.

I'm most interested in the first question.

edit: isn't the ellipses considered a punctuation?
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I'll go with Artichokes and Asparagus. But there is a kind of Zen gardening in which you plant, say, Carrots, and you use some but you let some go to seed and then they grow and you use a few, etc. Sounds like BS to me, but I've never tried it.

Lettuce would be my guess about the "only vegetable always sold fresh".

dwarf, dwindle, dwell.

sandals, sneakers, slippers, slides, socks, spikes, snowshoes, skiboots, skis, skates . . . .
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Ooo, ya got me, yov. I don't know how I forgot about pickles. I love pickles. And those cucumber slices you brine in cider vinegar, sugar, and salt and keep in the fridge. Yummm. :love:

Lettuce, as Jewel said, then.

Faramond, I'm really curious about question 1, too.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Chess?
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Except there's a visible "score" in the number of pieces taken on both sides. (My son was captain of the chess team for three years. . . .)
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

If chess counted as an answer, then checkers also qualified, and that's two sports right there, which contradicts the questions assertion that it's just "one sport". Except neither is a sport, so chess is doubly eliminated.

Connect four would also work, if living room games count. In that case you really can't tell who is ahead.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

#3 is definitely rhubarb and asparagus.
Definitely.
I'm an excellent driver.
Uh oh, fifteen minutes to Judge Wapner.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

boxing?

Golden Gate Bridge?

mushrooms and ? -- oh, right, mushrooms don't count as vegetables, probably

Strawberry

It's put on the tree when the pear is still just a flower.

4, actually: dweeb :D, dwarf, dwindle, AND dwell.

yes

I think there are several tender lettuces that would qualify here.

slippers, socks, stockings, shoes, sandals, stickers, smudges, scratches, suntans :)
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Excellent, boxing is certainly the correct answer to the first one. It's true, they judges who keep score don't show the scores to anyone until the fight is over. That's my understanding, anyway.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I refrained from answering #1 specifically, because I had heard the question before. Boxing is indeed the answer.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

1) Boxing
2) Niagara Falls
3) Asparagus and rhubarb, I think!
4) Strawberries, blackberries and raspberries
5) I dont know, unless they form the molten glass around the pear!
6) Dweeb, dwimmerlak and....um....(well, dwimmerlak IS a common word for us Tolkien fans, is it not?? :D:D:D:D
7) comma, colon, semicolon, period, exclamation mark, question mark, hyphen, ampersand (&) asterix (*) single quotations marks, double quotation marks, dash, brackets, apostrophe.
8 ) Hmmm....bananas?
9) spats, skates, shoes, socks, sandals, stockings
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
The Watcher

Post by The Watcher »

Hmm, I can think of at least two answers for question 8 - the common red radish and lettuce ( lettuce is never sold in any other form but fresh, and things like horseradish do not count!! :D)

Fun quiz!!

I know the pear brandy answer, I saw some show where they were tying the bottles onto the trees once. Niagara Falls is indeed moving backwards, by a few inches a year I believe - there is the huge gorge where one can see the erosion from the waterfall over the last several thousand years. Strawberries of course are the only fruit with their seeds on the outside, raspberries and blackberries are considered drupes, and the seeds are still contained within the little individual juicy bits.

As far as reproducing vegetables, asparagus is a definite, we grew it for years, and rhubarb would be the same, but don't some other things keep reproducing in the same manner? Things like bamboo shoots, oregano, sage, thyme, chives, etc? What makes something technically a "vegetable" as opposed to an herb or a shrub or whatever else?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I think all the right answers are here, just not in the same post :)

I'll put them up tomorrow.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

The fronts of all the glaciers in Glacier Bay National Monument are receeding. The glaciers are still going forward, but melting and calving faster than they proceed, so it looks like they are moving backwards.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends . . .Boxing

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward . . .Niagara Falls (The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.)

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons . . .. Asparagus and rhubarb.

4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside . . .Strawberry.

5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle? It grew inside the bottle. (The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.)

6. Three English words beginning with dw . . .Dwarf, dwell and dwindle.

7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar . . ..Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh . . . Lettuce.

9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with "s" . .
Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.