Take me out to the ballgame!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I'll never understand people that don't know when baseball season is over and football season begins.
Honestly!

:P

I think the A's are a big story. I just think that the rivalry between the A's and any team on the East Coast has dissipated over the last number of years, and that the Orioles, Rangers and Nationals are bigger stories.

I am happy to see the upstart A's back in the thick of things though, and I hope they upset the apple cart enough to make the postseason more fun.

I was hoping that the Sox could pull something together for one series and deal the Yanks a serious blow, but it isn't going to happen. Thankfully, I don't see the Yanks going too far, so no matter what the postseason should be fun! :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I thought the same thing! :D (edit: as Voronwë. X-posted with Holby).

Apparently, no tean EVER won the division after trailing by five games with nine games to go. NEVER!

And this is with a rotation of 5 rookies. This just doesn't happen.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I find myself caring more and more about what happens to the SF Giants. I'm not sure I like it. I'm a Cubs fan, and any other team should be a distant mild interest.

But I was quite upset at the Giants performance tonight.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I wasn't. I would love another bridge series, but if they did better than Oakland, their fans would be insufferable. Again. =:)

Still, they made it interesting at the end, in the face of 100mph pitches. :scarey:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Unbelievable! Both the Giants and the A's have come back from 2-0 deficits to tie their series at 2-2, with the A's doing their typical walk-off heroics. Two winner-takes-all game fives tomorrow!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I lost my voice.

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:
:woohoo: :woohoo:

What an indomitable, clutch team, the A's.

Giants did great, too, winning two on the road.

Voronwë the Faithful

What really impressed me is that even when the A's were down 3-1 the Coloseum was absolutely rocking. So often, you see a stadium go quiet when the home team is losing, but not last night.

And on the Giants side, it was great to see Timmy being Timmy*. It will be really interesting to see, if (when!) the Giants win today, if Bochy puts him back in the rotation.

*Tim Lincecum, two time Cy Young award winner, who had a horrendous year this year and pitched out of the bullpen.

Edited to add: And as much as I hate the Yankees, Raul Ibanez's home run in the bottom of the ninth to send their game against in the Orioles into extra innings, and then another one in the bottom of the 12th to win it, is probably one of the greatest individual performances in the history of the game. Somewhere, I hope that Sassy is smiling.
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I am totally rooting for the Reds to beat the Giants today. :horse:

(I am an Indians fan, but I'll root for the Reds whenever it doesn't conflict with the Indians.)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

What really impressed me is that even when the A's were down 3-1 the Coloseum was absolutely rocking. So often, you see a stadium go quiet when the home team is losing, but not last night.
Literally, rocking. I could see the glass windows of the boxes shake.

Seth Smith, who tied the game with a double in the ninth, said his ears were hurting as he stood on second base. :D

I'm the one who always scoffs at the attention lavished on "guys hitting balls with sticks," and I confess to being totally caught in the moment.. I spent more time on my feet than I did in my seat. In the ninth, while logic suggested that they were done, I felt sure that they were not. I had the same feeling last Monday when they clinched the playoffs. It didn't matter how good Rangers were, they were not going to win in the face of that emotional surge.

You couldn't script it better if you were writing a script for a sentimental sports movie.

Voronwë the Faithful

You were there, Frelga?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Both days. :) Perks of being an A's fan - Mr. Frelga got postseason tickets back in September when the A's were still 5 behind and the tickets were the price of regular games. :D

Probably won't go today, I finally caught a cold that my son has been carrying around, and hubby has to be at work early on Friday.

But it's tempting. It's a potent drug, being one of the thirty-thousand-strong tribe.

Logic dictates that the A's can't win three in a row, especially against Verlander. OTOH, they have told logic it can go whistle so many times this season, what's one more.

Voronwë the Faithful

Well logic suggested that there was no way the Giants could win three straight in Cincy, particularly since the Reds hadn't lost three straight home games all year. But here they are, nine outs away, with a three run lead.
Voronwë the Faithful

NLCS here we come! (Sorry, Lali.)
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Well, that was an exciting game, I can't wait to see the highlights. I just saw the Nats win against the Cards, which I'm happy with, as I hate the Cards, but then again, they would not be as scary as the Nationals for the Giants.

but another game 5 is always fun. If the Orioles win tonight, there will be 4 game fives in the first round... not sure that's ever happened.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:(

Sadness.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, logic wins this time. Ah well.

Didn't go today, which my son thinks is the sole reason the A's lost.

Orioles go to game 5. I do believe it's the first time ever all 4 series went to game 5.

Voronwë the Faithful

It is in fact the first time in the 18 year history of the division series that all four have gone the distance.

Go O's! I'm hoping for an all orange and black World Series, now that the Bay Bridge series hopes are over. But what a season for the A's! They have no reason to hang their heads, and a lot of good reason to hope for good things in the future.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I was 0-2 tonight. I was pulling for the Nationals and of course the Orioles and they both lost. The Nationals went down in a particularly sad fashion.
Go anyone but the Yankees and to a lesser degree the Cards.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I wanted the Cards to lose as well... but I can't say I'm unhappy to see the Nats out. If the Cards beat the Giants, it will be tragic... but I'm not worried about that at the moment.

As always, I hate the yankees, so that sucked.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Hmmm, I have no horse in this game, so now I don't care who wins.

I guess I will root for the underdog. Who is that? Tigers?