The new LOTR MMORPG

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Amphiaraus

The new LOTR MMORPG

Post by Amphiaraus »

I really hesitate to bring this up, especially as my second post, and although I think this is the right forum for it (the word "play" being my excuse), obviously games are not explicitly mentioned in the description.

At any rate, there's a new online role-playing game that claims to be based on the text of LOTR, and early reports from critics I've found to be reasonably intelligent are that they may have succeeded in at least a few things.

I've pre-ordered the game (apparently it's above-board to do this, with the intention of cancelling if I don't enjoy the game) to get a key for the Beta trial that's starting today, and I'm wondering whether anyone else here at HOF is inclined to see what they've done. If this game hits big, it could end up having a profound effect on the way popular culture deals with Tolkien, for good or ill.

Apologies if the topic of such games is avoided here. I've started doing some literary-type research on narrative video-games as a kind of epic storytelling, and so I'm acutely conscious of their reputation, and, although I'm engaged in trying to raise that reputation, I know some people, especially devoted readers, have strong reactions to the subject.
ou gar dokein aristos, all' einai thelei
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

There's a few threads on this in the Shibboleth forum Amphiarus!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Amphiaraus

Post by Amphiaraus »

Oops! I didn't think to look there! Sorry!
ou gar dokein aristos, all' einai thelei
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

That's OK, the person who put them there didn't know if they belonged there either *cough*Alatar*cough*. ;)