West African Music (and/or "World Music")

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Teremia
Reads while walking

West African Music (and/or "World Music")

Post by Teremia »

I just got back from Chicago, where I stayed for part of the weekend with some friends, who shared not only their time and their food, but also some excellent CDs with me.

One I really liked was called "In the Heart of the Moon," these amazing meditative duets by two Malian musicians, Ali Farka Touré (guitar) and Toumani Diabaté (on the kora, which is always described as a cross between harp and lute).

I'd like to send my friends some music as a "thank you" gift, and thought this might be one of the best places around to ask about West African music (V, I'm looking at you, of course! :)) -- what would someone who liked "In the Heart of the Moon" also probably like?

Any other favorite "world music" CDs you (not just V, this time!) can recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:D

I'm not going to go too crazy. I won't list any drumming CDs, because I don't think that is what you are looking for, and anyway we would be here all day. ;) I'm just going to list a few of my favorite West African recordings that I think that someone who likes "In the Heart of the Moon" (a great CD!) would like.

First of all, I have to mention the great kora duet album, New Ancient Strings, with Toumani Diabate and Ballake Sissoko. So lovely. Also, Toumani's recording "Djelika" with Keletigue Diabate on the Balafon and Baekou Kouyate on Ngoni (a sort of West African guitar).

Probably my favorite singer in the world is Oumou Sangare, from Mali. Any of her CDs, but probably "ko sira" is my favorite. Beautiful music, beautiful singing.

Another of my favorites is another Malian singer, Ami Koita. The only CD of hers that I have heard is "Songs of Praise" but it is very wonderful.

And on that note, I also have to mention Salif Keita. Anything by Salif Keita. :love:

For guitar, beyond Ali Farka Toure, there is Habib Koite and his band, Bamaka. Great, great stuff. But my two favorite West African guitarists are from the older generation. First, Boubacar Traore (who actually wrote Mali's national anthem). He almost makes an acoustic guitar sound like a kora. His style is unique. I would recommend the album "sa golo" which is just him on acoustic guitar accompanied by one percussionist playing a simple calabash. Simply beautiful. On the other side of the coin, is Sekou "Diamond Fingers" Diabate from Guinea, who leads the great group Bembaya Jazz National. Bembeya's recordings are incredibly dense with up to five guitars, a large horn section, percussion, etc. While they are amazing, I would also recommend his solo album, "Guitar Fo".

Finally, an amazing cross-over recording made by the great jazz pianist Hank Jones with Cheick Tidiane Seck and the Mandinkas calle "Sarala". I can't recommend it enough.

There are many others, of course (one I particularly love is Ismael Lo's "Iso"), but I'll stop there, at least for now. Happy listening!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

Ain't West African but South, but I'm desperately trying to find some translations or at least explanations of Miriam Makeba's songs. Specifically, Milélé. It's so beautiful, and I have no idea what it's about! :cry:

Help?