The Last King of Scotland

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

The Last King of Scotland

Post by Pearly Di »

I saw this last night with Jewelsong. 8)

Powerful movie. Well worth seeing.

It got the BAFTA for Best British Film and Forest Whitaker won Best Actor. Very well deserved, he gives an absolutely stupendous performance as Idi Amin. Charming one second, terrifying the next. Forest for the Oscar!

James McAvoy (Mr Tumnus from Narnia!) also impresses as Nicholas Garrigan, the gullible young Scottish doctor who is flattered by Amin’s invitation to him to become his personal physician and then becomes embroiled in the injustices and atrocities that follow.

McAvoy is cute (very). He is also a very good actor and makes Garrigan believable. Garrigan is not a very sympathetic character – although he’s not a bad person, he is almost criminally naïve in his dealings with Amin.

I won't say any more 'cause of spoilers. ;)

One of my former co-workers is getting married in Uganda in April – she’s English and her fiance is Ugandan. She told us in a recent email that the film appears to have been well received in Uganda.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

A very intense and gripping movie...there was violence in parts, but it wasn't gratuitous. Plenty disturbing, though.

And I agree that Whitaker put in a terrfic performance. I read that he gained 50 lbs for the role, learned Swahili and how to speak English with an East African accent and did tons of research on Amin.

Highly recommended!
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame