Who Plays an Instrument?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: accordians and men

Post by Alatar »

samwarg wrote: I meant wierd Al Yankovic, who sometimes plays an accordion, not you Alatar. Besides, you're "formidible good-looking Al", right? You play a guitar. :music:
I knew that, but good recovery ;)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
samwarg

the truth comes out

Post by samwarg »

The truth about these things does have a way of coming to light, huh Primula? Things that once existed can sometimes still be found floating around in the void, like Captain Kirk's scattered atoms through a sabotaged transporter, so you shouldn't be so sure about those negatives.

The little trio of which you dream sounds terrific, but I believe it would be even better if you had the Geico duck on vocals and Squidward on clarinet. "Is that a flock of geese in labor I hear?", "No darling, it's just a polka band".

Don't take me too seriously, Primula. I like to joke around.
still trying to get it right
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: the truth comes out

Post by yovargas »

samwarg wrote:The little trio of which you dream sounds terrific, but I believe it would be even better if you had the Geico duck on vocals and Squidward on clarinet. "Is that a flock of geese in labor I hear?", "No darling, it's just a polka band".
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Boy, you're fitting in here rather nicely. :D

I used the say that the bagpipe was the only instrument that it was impossible to make sound good (hope that doesn't offend the Irish!!) but then I heard a song (one of my all-time favs, actually) that uses a bagpipe to marvelous effect. So now, I declare that all instruments are 8) .
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm getting that feeling. :D

I too (now this may shock you) have been known to be less than entirely serious.

On occasion.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
samwarg

me, fitting in?

Post by samwarg »

I'm fitting in? Why, thankyou, Yov. If you like silly people, I'm your guy. I also get serious, though.

I like the sound of a bagpipe. That reminds me of a joke about a fellow who brings an octopus into a bar and is taking bets that his octopus can play any kind of musical instrument. (I can tell this here because it's about musical intruments, right?) First someone hands it a guitar and, with tentacles plucking away, it sounds like Eric Clapton. A trumpet, a violin, same thing. Then someone gives it a bagpipe. The octopus starts flailing about as if it's having some kind of fit. "We've stumped it!" cries one of the bystanders. "No you haven't, sir. He's just confused, that's all. He thinks it's a female octopus and is trying to make love to it. Give him a minute."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: the truth comes out

Post by Alatar »

yovargas wrote: I used the say that the bagpipe was the only instrument that it was impossible to make sound good (hope that doesn't offend the Irish!!)
I think the Scots might have something to say about that. The Irish equivalent are the Uileann Pipes:

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Ooooh, puuurty. The tone in that vid is much sweeter, less shrill, then the tone I associate with bagpipes.
-The Decemberists

samwarg

pipes

Post by samwarg »

That guy is great, Al! His hands are definately the hands of an artist. I know I'm ignorant of these things, but it sounded like a bagpipe to my untrained ear. What's the difference between them, do you know?

I guess my favorite Irish musician of all time would be the late great Rory Gallagher. He was such an incredible guitar player and singer, but he never got very popular here in the states.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The main difference is that bagbipes are played with a bag under the arm and filled by mouth. The uileann pipes use two bellows, one onder each arm to provide the continuous flow of air.

As for Rory Gallagher, I'm a huge fan and have mentioned him on this and other boards to a chorus of deafening silence. A truly gifted musician, but hugely underappreciated. Still, at least with the advent of internet sales much of his previously unreleased material is becoming available. Tony Palmers acclaimed Rockumentary "Irish Tour '74" is back in print with a commentary by Donal Gallagher, as are Live in Cork, Live at Montreaux and the recently release Live at Rockplatz Definitive Collection, 3 DVDs recorded from Rorys performances in Germany over 20 years.

Here's a nice clip of Rory jamming with Jack Bruce on Creams Politician. He obviously has no clue of the songe as he heads out on stage but what he produces is better than Clapton at his best.

samwarg

Yea Rory

Post by samwarg »

I had a gut feeling that you might be a Rory fan, Al. I've been a big rock n roll fan my whole life, and I've known about RG since about 1975. My brother introduced me to him----he had the "Irish Tour '74" album. The song "Walk on hot coals" was a minor hit here, and a few of the radio stations would play it if you called and requested it. (Which I did, repeatedly) He was certainly way under-rated, and I would place him in top twelve best guitar players ever list. I've watched the "Politician" clip before. Actually, I've watched a lot of RG clips on youtube. The man was a spectacular performer and really, really poured himself into those live performances. I'm not a rock-style guitar player at all, (My younger brother is) but I've been working on RG's "pistol slapper blues" some. I've found that I need younger hands for that one.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

sam, maybe you'd like to participate in this thread:

http://www.thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=309
-The Decemberists

samwarg

I'm there now

Post by samwarg »

Thanks for the tip, Yov, I'm there now.
samwarg

terrible jokes and latent desires

Post by samwarg »

I told my brother about those accordion jokes yesterday, and he added some more of his own. "What's the sweetest sound in the world?" he asked. "The sound of a banjo falling down a mineshaft and landing on an accordion". Oooo, that's bad. I own a banjo.
Although my brother and I started trying to learn the guitar about the same time, we went totally different directions. He learned to play rock-style, electric music, and I went for the CSN, Neil Young, Don McLean, etc Wooden guitar styles. He just turned 56 and still plays in a band from time to time. He still has his 1960 Les Paul junior (that he acidentally ran over with his car while stoned back in the seventies) and his old Fender tube amp.
I've never played in a band in front of people, but now in my old age, I find myself desiring to do so. I've got arthritis, blood circulation problems and nerve problems that make my hands cramp and tingle, but I'd still like to just see if me and a couple of others could find an audience and get through a few old songs without getting hit with tomatoes.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Go for it, Sam. :D It's never too late.

My main instrument is a 35-string Celtic harp made by Robert Cunningham in the late '80s.

I also play keyboards. The old upright piano is out of tune and unfixable, so I'm more likely to play the Kurzweill 2000 synthesizer, which has a very sweet piano tone. Although I'll occasionally pick up one of our assortment of Irish whistles or a wooden flute, I've never mastered them.

Our house is full of other instruments, mostly my husband's. We have several fiddles (his main instrument), a mandolin, and possibly a four-string banjo (I think he might have traded it in when buying a guitar, though). He dearly loves his Martin six-string acoustic and a Fender strat that is an exact replica of the 1957 model that Buddy Holly played. My son also has a Fender electric, a Martin acoustic and a Squire bass. We have other electric guitars in various states of disrepair because my son is repainting or rebuilding them.

In the percussion department: three djembes, an Irish bodhran, bones, a Native American drum, conga drums and bongos.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Ooooh. That's awesome, Wampuskitty. :)
There is a singer/songwriter by the name of Joanna Newsom who has been getting lots of attention and critical acclaim in certain circles for her eccentric style. Her last album, Ys, was on a bunch of Best Album 2006 year end lists. Her primary instrument is a harp (she is classically trained) and it is her only accompaniment on many of her songs. I think it's ultra-cool that a girl with just a harp is making music that's getting attention from people who traditionally listen to rock. :)
-The Decemberists

WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

That is cool! I'll have to look for her. I am not classically trained on harp; I just play traditional or original music, using my own arrangements rather than sheet music.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Here's a video from her first album. Beautiful song, imo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E61ARpIK-T4

(Warning: She has a VERY unusual voice which many find irritating.)
-The Decemberists

samwarg

precious

Post by samwarg »

Your family is musical, like mine, Wampuskitty. I also have a Martin six-string, along with about 18 others. Cursed Ebay!
A harp is a wonderful instrument, so I think.

That Joanna Newsom is great, yov. I love that video, too. Her singing style reminds me of "Melanie", but more child-like. (Anyone remember the Bicycle song?) Yes, she is now precious to me.
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

I liked that song by Joanna Newsom. Her voice somehow reminded me of the Canadian singer Jane Siberry (now apparently known as Issa), although Siberry's style is more rocking.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
samwarg

youtube

Post by samwarg »

I have been having a great time looking up different musicians and groups on "Youtube". There's a lot of really obscure and rarely seen stuff on there like early Genesis, Rory Gallagher, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, etc. Yesterday I found several with Israel K.................... unpronounceable Hawaiian name. I guess he was famous in Hawaii, but most of us will only know him for one song, which is a combination of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" and "It's a wonderful world". He was very overweight and I think he died of heart failure. If you've never heard the song, I highly recommend it, but be ready to shed some tears. I can't do links, but if you will go to youtube and search in music for "ukulele, Israel, and rainbow", I'm pretty sure you'll find several clips of him.