Who Plays an Instrument?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Here you go Samwarg. Its nice, but I have to admit his mixing up the words bugged me a bit. :)

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
samwarg

thanks

Post by samwarg »

Yes, Al, I know he flubbed some of the words, but I have forgiven him for that. I have "fixed" the lyrics on my own sheet music. I have tried to sing this song while accompanying myself on banjo with fair results. I can't sing as well as he does, but I try. I hope some of the others will listen to him. Thanks for the link.

Oh, I knew a few Hawaiians when I was in the Navy, and they seem to have a knack for beautiful melodies and playing the uke, of course.
Last edited by samwarg on Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
still trying to get it right
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Glad you liked Joanna, sam and Rowan. :)
It please me greatly to show people that they didn't stop making good music the day I was born. ;) (That was 1980, btw).
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Nobody ever suggested that yova, but neither did musical creativity begin in the 90's :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Hey, check out my Best Songs list - you don't have to tell me that!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

samwarg

you're so young!

Post by samwarg »

I didn't know you were such a youngling, Yov. You seem much wiser than your years, but then I'm coming to expect that of Tolkien fans.
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

I know how to play guitar and piano, but I have not kept up at it, and am extremely rusty on both.

However, I can pretty easily pick out a melody that I've heard on a keyboard.

Someday, I'll get back to playing.

Maybe I need to try writing lyrics and write music for them. I've been writing poetry of late, but most of it is generally not suited to a musical interpretation.

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
samwarg

lyrics, music

Post by samwarg »

You sound like me, BrianIsSmilingAtYou. I've written poems, but none I could set to music.
That beautiful child's smile will cause me to sleep peacefully tonight.
samwarg

ukulele

Post by samwarg »

I forgot to tell y'all about it, but I got a new ukulele for my birthday a while back. It's an "Applause" and it plays really great. It's tiny little neck makes me appreciate how the late Iz could've played his so well with his huge fingers.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Cool!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kams

Post by kams »

I can play the vocal chords. ;)
And so can everyone else, though to varying degrees of satisfaction.

I find if I am accompanied by a dishpan of hot soapy water, I can warble out definitely the first verse of a song and odd bits of second and third verses, sometimes combined. What else am I to do while washing dishes? The kitchen window in front of me doesn't seem to mind.
samwarg

play the vocal chords

Post by samwarg »

That's great that you play the vocal chords, Kam, because not everyone can. I say that because my wife can't match pitch or carry a tune.
I have a relative (my late first cousin's grandson, whatever that makes him) who plays a kitchen sink. No kidding, I'm serious. He's a kind of nomadic wanderer (Some might use the word "bum") that hitch-hikes around the country carrying his instrument on his shoulder and playing it where ever he can find an audience. A white porcelen double sink, really. He uses it like those carribean drum barrels by finding different areas that create different pitches and banging on them real fast with his hands. He's really very good at it and it sounds much better than one would expect. My family, including me, is wierd, yes.
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

The kitchen sink?? How clever! And I thought my brother-in-law was nifty when he played his teeth! :D

I can play a bunch of instraments, but I am master of none. I have a piano, a guitar, a ukelele, a mandolin (tuned as a uke...i can't play a mandolin :P) and a clarinet. I also have a little ocerina and can play the first couple bars of "Concerning Hobbits". :D

I really should practice more, especially my piano. I read music, but I can't sight read very well. I enjoyed reading this thread, maybe it will motivate me. (I'm SO not self motivated...:roll:) I do play the vocal chords pretty good (especially in the shower, I'm awesome in the shower! :blackeye:). I also play the lips...... :whistle:
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed:
samwarg

piano

Post by samwarg »

I wish I could play a piano, Traz. My youngest son took lessons for about four years and claims he hated it. I'm hoping that someday he'll change his mind and go back to it.
I play several stringed instruments too, but the only one that I'm very good at is the guitar, and playing it is getting harder for me because of pain in my hands. Arthritis, I guess.
I see that you're just next door in Texas. I live in Arkansas. Howdy neighbor!
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

Howdy neighbor! :D

I love the piano. I took lessons for 4 or 5 months when I was about 11 until we moved, so I just have the basics. A friend of mine took lessons for years and she says she hated it too, but enjoys it now. I hope your son will find again the enjoyment of it.

It's too bad about your hands. I'm starting to get arthritis in my right hand and it's painful. So far it doesn't affect my piano playing (so no excuses for me :P). Maybe you could get your son to give you lessons?
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed:
PrinceAlarming
Interferes With Natural Selection

Post by PrinceAlarming »

I play the guitar. I've never had lessons, but I like it. I'm more into the simple folky sound than anything else... I too prefer acoustic over electric. When you get down to it, they are almost completely different instruments.

I have two guitars. One Takamine Electric Acoustic that needs a little work, and some no name brand acoustic I got for $25 at a yard sale. It sounds great and I like the crappy action.

My baseball coach always used to say, "If you practice under the worse conditions, game day seems that much easier." He would drill us on the most filthy, pitted, bumpy field in Boston... And when we played games on the nice manicured fields of the local schools, we were always ready for anything.

Playing on a guitar with high action makes playing a good guitar even easier on the fingers.

I have a couple of my songs up on MySpace...

http://www.myspace.com/commoners
samwarg

guitars

Post by samwarg »

You've got a nice sound PrinceAlarming. I like a lot of different kinds of music but am only somewhat competent at playing acoustic guitar. As for that high action, you know that can often be easily fixed. Even expensive guitars can come with bad action and require shaving down of the saddle or truss-rod adjustment. You can do it yourself if you get a little training first, and that is easily obtained online. When I was a young fellow I would trade a guitar off, not knowing that its' high action was adjustable.

Another thing about getting used to a bad playing guitar is that you're likely to fret to hard on the strings when you pick up an electric guitar or an acoustic with light action.
PrinceAlarming
Interferes With Natural Selection

Post by PrinceAlarming »

Thanks for the kind words samwarg! Can you not also buy a different saddle?
samwarg

saddle

Post by samwarg »

Sure, you can buy a different saddle, but it will need trimming too in order to establish the correct string height. Most cheap guitars come with a plastic saddle, but you can upgrade them by replacing it with a bone saddle. The nut also can be replaced with a bone nut.