Who Plays an Instrument?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
samwarg

Who Plays an Instrument?

Post by samwarg »

[I split this discussion off from the thread on samwarg's drawings in the Shibboleth forum - VtF]

That was very well put, Alatar. I have several guitars, including a 1974 Guild d25 that I bought new in that year. Do you prefer electric or acoustic? (I'm getting off the subject, I know)
still trying to get it right
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I much prefer acoustic Sam, mainly cause I don't have enough speed to play electric. I play a 12 string Ovation most of the time, but I also have a Nylon cutaway with pickup, a strat copy and an Aria Pro II acoustic Bass that I never learned how to play. :)

I keep meaning to pick up a decent 6-string acoustic, because I played the Ovation with 6 strings for a long time. The six string nylon doesn't have the "attack" of a steel string, and fingerstyling doesn't work well on the 12 string. Explaining to Mrs Alatar why I need a 5th guitar might prove tricky though. :P

Don't suppose you'd like to send over that Guild?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
samwarg

guitars

Post by samwarg »

I have a Canadian-made Seagull 12-string that I really like. I've been very impressed with everything from that company and also own a Art and Lutherie "parlor", a Simon and Patrick S-6 and two Kamouraska classicals. (Now called La Patrie) For quality, sound, playability and price, I would recommend you check them out. I think the mother company is called La Sido, and they made all the brands I mentioned plus Godin and Norman. I also have a 1968 S. Yairi, a Martin D15, a 1966 Favilla, an old Aria Hummingbird, a Tacoma jumbo, a couple of Alvarez's and a Washburn folk guitar, plus other, misc. guitars. Kind of excessive, huh? Most of the time I just play to amuse myself. I figure guitars are a good investment and will nearly always appreciate in value if they're kept in good shape. You might try and explain that angle to Mrs. Alatar.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well I certainly won't be spending the money on a really good 6 string. If I was I'd almost certainly buy a Takamine, but I expect if I do get one I'll pick up a Yamaha Cutaway. Should be able to get a decent one for about €300. Now that I'm playing a bit again I can kinda justify a decent 6 string, but my days of buying €1000 guitars are not likely to come again in a hurry.
samwarg

ebay

Post by samwarg »

Most of my guitars have come from ebay because I'm a bargain hunter. I have bought some really good guitars on there for about $250. For instance, I paid $235.00 plus shipping for my Simon and Patrick, with hardshell case, new. That was about 3 years ago and I think you'd have to pay about $325.00 for it now. (that would be a rock-bottom, good deal price---they list much higher than that)
I'll probably never buy another guitar from a music store since I discovered ebay and online shopping. There are many bargains out there if you look for them.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I just can't see myself buying a guitar I haven't held and played. Feel is so important in a guitar. A Takamine is no use if the neck is warped, or even if the action is too high as you work up the frets.
samwarg

I know what you mean

Post by samwarg »

I know what you mean. There is a certain amount of risk involved in buying a guitar that you haven't held and played. I have bought a few that turned out to be junk, but luckily none of them cost very much. I try to buy from ebay sellers who have a very high rating, like 98% or so. I don't know if you've ever bought anything on ebay, but you get to grade them after you recieve the item. If you give them a bad grade it hurts them for making any future sales. I also try to find a review on any guitar I buy to see how it's rated. I'm able to do small repairs, make my own bone nuts and saddles, adjust the truss rods, etc, which is often required. I bought the Washburn folk guitar with cutaway and electrics, including gig bage for $200.00, and it listed for $750.00. It appeared to be new but the action was so out of whack that it was nearly unplayable. After some new strings, a truss rod adjustment and custom fitment of a bone saddle, it became one of the sweetest guitars I own.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

sam and Al, would it be okay with you guys if I split your discussion about guitars off into a separate thread?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
samwarg

oops, sorry

Post by samwarg »

Sorry, Voronwë, I didn't mean to stray so far. I wonder if it could just become a thread about musical instruments in general? I know there must be quite a few folks here who play guitar, piano, drums, etc. You could call it "Who plays an instrument?" or the "Musician's corner" or something. I will go along with whatever you think is best.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That seems like a neat idea to me, samwarg, especially if the thread's about actual instruments, not just playing in general. Musicians do like to talk about their instruments!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

As many know, I play African drums. That's my partner Beth, in my current avatar (for Valentine's Day), playing one of her djembes. I play the bass drums in the ensemble, called dunun

Back in the early 1990s, we had a drum building business, but that went by the wayside when I went to law school. When it became a choice between playing 'em or building 'em, it was an easy choice. We still do all the work on our own drums, though, reheading them and such. We have quite the collection. Beth has four personal djembes (which she does not allow anyone else to work on, even me, though it takes huge effort to pull them tight), plus we have an additional six student djembes. In addition to our main set of three dunun (which are called, respectively from smallest to biggest kenkeni, sangban, and dununba), we have another 13 dunun (half of which I built from scratch). We also have a set of congas that sit unused in the corner, and a half dozen or so other drums that also don't get used. We're pretty exclusively focused on traditional Mandingue Djembe and Dunun music.

Well, you did say you wanted it to be about more then just guitars. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
samwarg

drums

Post by samwarg »

How on earth did you get into this hobby? Surely you didn't just wake up one day and say "I think I'll build and play African drums"
Voronwë the Faithful

That's a long story, sam. Fortunately, I've already written it up here
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Ha! I was just seconds away from posting that link myself, V-man. :D

Did I mention that I loooooooooooove that story? :love:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

In the words of Mr. Lennon, I've been known to play the fool now and again. ;)

I have a bass guitar that I plunk at now and again, but which I have mostly because I like how it looks...it's a knockoff of an Epiphone viola bass. It goes with the color scheme of my living room. :D
Voronwë the Faithful

yovargas wrote:Ha! I was just seconds away from posting that link myself, V-man. :D
Well, it was in response to your question at the time. :)
Did I mention that I loooooooooooove that story? :love:
I think you did, but it's still nice to hear again. :hug:
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Sorry to derail a just de-derailed thread, but -
That's my partner Beth, in my current avatar (for Valentine's Day), playing one of her djembes.
I see some red clouds on a black background and star or so in the middle. :scratch:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I think it is Beth. There is light, and beauty up there, that no Shadow can touch. :)

Anyway, I play the clarinet. And after much, like 7 months of asking, I have decided to become a member of the local Symphony.

And because of V-mans high recommendation of the African drums, I have asked the lady who teaches it here to sign me up. She broke her back about 8 months ago and the class is probably not going to happen for a bit of time. She also used to teach belly dancing. And she's from Scotland. So I will be taking African drumming leasons from a Scottish lady in New Mexico. :)
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

So I will be taking African drumming leasons from a Scottish lady in New Mexico.
This would be the upside of globalization. :)
Voronwë the Faithful

hobby, I changed it. For some reason, it seemed strange to me to have Beth be my avatar.

Padme, that's great! Let us know how it goes. Do you know what style of African drumming she teaches?