Movies so good you never have/want to see them again

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

No, 50 is middle-aged. I will firmly believe that until my turn comes . . . next year. :blackeye:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Thats because he is so SHORT, Prim and Trazzie! :blackeye:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Trazúviel wrote:But 50 is still young..... :blackeye:
I fervently agree!!!

And 51 is, if anything, even younger.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, I suppose I must concede your point, Wampus, if only because it allows me to contend that 48 and a half is the acme of dewy-eyed freshness.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

<babbles happily & kicks her chubby legs!>
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<chucks the cute li'l ootsie boo Teremia under her gleeful chin>
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

Youth comes from the inside. I doubt I'll ever get old. ;)
:cheerleader: :horse: :cheerleader: :horse: :cheerleader: :horse: :cheerleader:
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed:
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Yeah, that's what I said, too. creak :)

Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

Oh we don't want to creak, no precious!! :bawl:

*breaks out intensive care lotion and applies liberally*

:banana:
samwarg

old?

Post by samwarg »

My aging problem is especially accute. I've been living with half a heart since age 43 (I'm now 59) but I still think like I did when I was 17. (in most ways, at least) I feel like a Corvette with a lawnmower engine under the hood!
still trying to get it right
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:rofl:
I sympathize, samwarg! But as a 51-year-old who deals with a 17-year-old son every day, I consider the idea of a 17-year-old mind in a 59-year-old body truly scary! :shock:

Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

Samwarg wrote:I feel like a Corvette with a lawnmower engine under the hood
:rofl: A great way to put it...and I can relate!

Wampus, my kids are 22 and 26, and now that they finally passed that, erm, fun stage, I've determined to get myself a t-shirt saying "I survived two teenagers". :shock::D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I have three.

I plan to survive. See, one of them turns 20 in January. Then I'll only have two.

<tries to suppress college memories of 20-year-old guys>
samwarg

mind/body discrepancy

Post by samwarg »

My three sons are all spread out in age from 38 all the way down to a 15(almost 16) year-old who's still at home. When I try to tell the young one that I very much understand what it's like to be his age, he doesn't believe me. (Of course) When I pick him up at school I sometimes say "Oh, she's pretty" or something similar and he gets on to me for being a dirty old man. Then I tell him, "Son, I'm not dead or blind, I'm just old. I've also told him that if I ever stop noticing pretty girls that he should call the morgue because I've passed on.
still trying to get it right
melianndoriath

Post by melianndoriath »

After raising ywo sons to become wonderful young men (thank God for His providence), I HAVE survived and am having the best time of my life.....after age 50 :thumbsup:
And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar harken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I just watched Requiem for a Dream. It was good and somewhat disturbing. I could watch it again, but I'd rather not do so.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I have a lot of respect for directors who can take a topic that has in real life no glimmer of redemption (like drug addiction), cast top stars, and then resist the temptation to redeem anyone. :D

Requiem for a Dream was spot on in that respect.

The other movie that pleasantly surprised me was History of Violence. I rented it while in Ohio thinking my brother-in-law would probably like it, but the person who enjoyed it most was me. It was not what I expected it to be. It didn't make excuses for anyone.

Requiem for a Dream probably comes up to the level of something it would be really hard to watch twice. Trainspotting would be hard to watch twice as well, but I had a lot of trouble following it the first time because of the accents.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

If anyone would have been redeemed in Requiem for a Dream, it wouldn't have been believable....except for the mother I suppose. I was surprised Leto's character wasn't treated at the hopital when he was first there.

History of Violence surprised me too. Very good movie as well, but I could definately watch that one again. It has Viggo in it. 'Nuff said. :P

I've not seen Trainspotting yet. I'll have to put it on my Blockbuster Queue.
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

I've never seen History of Violence, but it brought to mind a documentary I watched over 20 years ago...Faces of Death. It was the most disturbing, horid and disgusting thing I had ever seen. Yet it was so fascinating, I watched the whole thing. I'll never watch it again...but it really was fascinating. :blackeye:

So, Viggo is in History of Violence, eh? 8)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I just saw Bridge to Terabithia with the kids, and unlike Samwarg, I loved it. Very touching and beautifully acted, particularly by the kids. I haven't read the book, but the film was excellent. I was afraid to show it to my kids after Samwargs reaction, but I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. They handled it really well. There were a few tears, but then not all tears are an evil, true?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End