Daddy's Little Girl

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Daddy's Little Girl

Post by Alatar »

So, most of you know that Mrs Alatar and I met on stage and have been as active as kiddies allow in pursuing our amateur stage passions ever since. For a long time we have suspected that our eldest has more than a touch of the thespian genes, but have put it down to typical "Stage Parent" syndrome. Well, no longer.

Clíodhna was picked as one of the young children for our upcoming show "Children of Eden". This is no great achievement, since it was limited to children of cast members, but she was naturally chuffed, as were we. This week, the director explained to her that Eve was dying and that she must have a sad face when Eve comes to speak to her. Half the cast welled up during the scene. Naturally I assumed this was due to the lead actress, who has a lovely delivery. However, at least a dozen cast members told me afterwards that it was Clíodhna's soulful expression thet had them transfixed. Being a proud Daddy I smiled, thanked them and dismissed it, not wanting to be "one of those parents".

Then, she had an audition for one of the lead roles in the Stage School she attends. There's about 40 in her class, and she had a decent sized role last year, so we expected they would "share it out" a bit. We warned her not to be too disappointed if she didn't get it. She got it. Within a couple of days she had devoured the CD and learned all the songs. At her next class the teachers accidentally left in the backing track instead of the vocals CD and Clíodhna promptly came in, with perfect timing and pitch. A little surprised, they let her finish the number. Then, just to test her, they tried putting on the big duet number. Her co-star, a 16 year old with a broadway belter voice and 10 years experience, was flabbergasted. Clíodhna not only held her own vocally, but also held her harmony line against the older girl. Their reaction "You can't teach that!"

Needless to say I'm :love: . She's only 8. We never pushed her and never will, but obviously she has picked up the love and passion for this from us. You're looking at one proud Daddy right now.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

:love:

So lovely for all of you! :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Wow! I'd be chuffed about that, too! :D

(Chuffed is a good thing, right? :? )
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

:rofl: Yeah. Its a pretty English expression now that I think of it.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I'm chuffed that you're chuffed.

Chuff away, Proud Dad.

(Sung to the tune of Proud Mary. :D)

Only, when I try that, it don't fit . . . :scratch:

More musical Halofirians will know all about that.
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm pretty darned chuffed about it, too, Alatar. That's really great! It's particularly nice that you didn't push her in this direction, and she picked up on her own.

And I learned the word "chuffed" from a nice young woman from the Southern U.S. So there!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Well, with parents as talented as you and Mrs. Alatar, I don't think that it would ever have been a question of talent - rather a question of interest, and yes, she's also got that from you! :thumbsup:
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:love: That is so great! Especially that it's coming from her own drive and talent. You must, indeed, be a very proud dad!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

WOWWWWW!!! :D

Way to go, Alatar!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

:D
That's fabulous that she picked it up on her own and is so good at it. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

<sneaks in quietly>

<crashtacklehugs Wilma>

<sneaks out a little less quietly>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Oh, Alatar, how marvellous for her! :D :D :D And for you and Mrs A, too, of course! But mainly for her!

Talent of that nature is rare, as you know - may she have lots of fun with it, and develop it and do wonderful things!
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

I appreciate to don't want to make a big fuss in front of her or be 'one of those parents' but you have to let the pride out somewhere, don't you, otherwise you just explode! :D I hope she takes as much pride and pleasure in her skill as her parents feel.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Here's a clip of her in action. She's the tiny one in the yellow t-shirt with white cap.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Holy moly, she sure can sing!
That's great! :love: :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

:foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Bravo! What a lovely, confident performance. Thank you for sharing, Alatar.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thanks! Here's another clip, this time of her duet with Horton.

Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Wow!!! Clíodhna's got something very special, and she's still so little! You must just melt when you hear her -- I know I just did.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Alatar, wow! I am speechless.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."