Varekai

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
TIGG
ta'veren'

Varekai

Post by TIGG »

2 more sleeps

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

as TIGGeressette keeps reminding me :bow:
da TIGG is back and bouncin'
Face Book ID Kathy Roper ( New Zealand)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
TIGG
ta'veren'

Post by TIGG »

after seeing it...

one word

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

:love:
da TIGG is back and bouncin'
Face Book ID Kathy Roper ( New Zealand)
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

This must be the least wordy thread on this board! :D

Glad you enjoyed it, TIGG! :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm glad you had fun, TIGG! I would love to see them someday. They performed at the opening ceremonies of the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984, but though I was living in L.A., I saw them on television!

hobby, I keep meaning to find a place to thank you for posting the mp3s of your choir with the links in your sig. I have downloaded them and so enjoy them, especially knowing your voice is in there! :)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

:hug:

(It's a tiny, little voice. :blackeye: But, you know, I don't even know if you sing yourself, but I have this fantasy for if we meet that we would sing a little Bach choral together - we'd just have to get a couple of guys to help with the men's voices. Probably silly, but I like the idea. :) :oops: )
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I love the idea! I wish. . . . Only I can't sing (I studied viola for ten years and so can clearly hear my dreadful intonation, and let's not even talk about tone)—and if I sing anyway, as in church, my natural range is tenor. :P I drop an octave and sing with the men.

However, we could get together anyway and you could sing. :love:
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

We saw Saltimbanco 7 years ago when they were in Melbourne - an astonishing theatrical experience that touched all the senses!
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I saw this in Boston...it was astonishing. That's the only word I could find for it.

I'd like to see the new one, with the Beatles music.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Primula Baggins wrote:I drop an octave and sing with the men.
I can probably sing higher than Prim! :P

Part of my audition for the Sacramento Opera Chorus many years ago included scales. I got up to E above high C before the chorus master halted the audtion saying, "We better stop there. We're not insured for damage to the building." (He meant that as a compliment. :D )
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You sure can sing higher than me. :P Yikes.

My son sings bass, and he can sing higher than me (he's got some vocal training, though).

I wish I could really sing! To have your instrument with you all the time, and ready instantly—in, say, the dome at the Palace of Fine Arts. . . . :love:
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Tenors with ranges like mine are pretty rare, Prim. The drawback is that most pieces, like hymns one sings in church, are too low. I recall having to transpose a couple of Bellini concert arias up a third because the tessitura lay too low.

I'd love to be able to do the comic stuff for baritone that Mozart wrote, characters like Leporello in Don Giovanni and Papageno in The Magic Flute. Of course those same baritones would probably love to be able to roll out of bed and hit high C's. The grass is always greener as they say. ;)

You, on the other hand, must be a contralto. I think contralto's are even more rare than tenors. It's great to have an uncommon instrument, but it limits your repertoire. Still, you should cherish your voice. It's one of the things that makes you unique. :)

Best of luck to your son. How I'd love to be a bass and sing "O Isis und Osiris" from The Magic Flute! :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, right now his ambition is focused on being cast as Audrey the Carnivorous Plant in the school production of Little Shop of Horrors. :D We shall see.
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Primula Baggins wrote:Well, right now his ambition is focused on being cast as Audrey the Carnivorous Plant in the school production of Little Shop of Horrors. :D We shall see.
Oh, then he should talk to Alatar. Alatar performed that role and, judging from the clips I saw, was FANTASTIC!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

FEED ME SEYMOUR! FEED ME ALL NIGHT LONG....

=:)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

=:)

Auditions aren't until next month. But he would do a great job, I think. And as far as I know he's the school's only bass who can act, or actor who can sing bass.

How funny is it that this year my daughter is also in a school production—The Wizard of Oz? (She's the Wicked Witch of the West.)

What show is your group doing next, Alatar? :D
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Alatar wrote:FEED ME SEYMOUR! FEED ME ALL NIGHT LONG....
Right on cue! :rofl:

Primula Baggins wrote:She's the Wicked Witch of the West.
So what is this, Prim? Raising your children to become villians? :shock:

(Yeah, yeah, I know, it's ACTING! :D )
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Check out my sig for my next production, Children of Eden.

The real production is in April. I get to play Sweeney in a production of Sweeney Todd with some of the finest performers in the region, including our Mrs Lovett, who just returned from seven succesful years on the West End, understudying Fantine in Les Mis.

No pressure so...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Wow, another juicy role for Alatar! I'd love to see you peform live. :)

If I were to perform in Sweeney Todd I'd probably best be suited for the role of The Beadle. (I'm thinking in particular of the stuff he sings while playing around with Mrs. Lovett's keyboard instrument.)

I could do Toby, too, but would have to shave, cut my hair, and lose quite a bit of weight.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Wow! :shock: Yeah, no pressure. Congratulations, Alatar!

I didn't realize your sig was the poster for your next show. When is it?

Yes, Tom, I'm bringing up a couple of Snidely Whiplashes here. It's so satisfying for a mother. :love: