Gotta love Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher)

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Gotta love Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher)

Post by Alatar »

Wil Wheaton reviews Encounter at Farpoint

http://www.tvsquad.com/bloggers/wil-wheaton/

He's not bitter though ;)

"One of Geordi’s first stops is to visit his good pal Wesley Crusher, who shows off one of his science projects (a mini tractor beam,) and one of his toys, a device that lets Wesley recreate speech from anyone on the ship. Any doubt that Wesley is a complete weenie is removed when we learn that he uses this device to have Captain Picard say things like, “Welcome to the bridge, Wesley,” instead of having Counselor Troi say things like, “Smack my ass, Wesley, I’m a naughty, naughty bitch.” To entirely erase any lingering doubt, Wesley spends the rest of the scene whining that the captain won’t let him on the bridge, even though Wesley is so obviously smart and cool. (On a personal note, I’d like to thank the writers for making such a great first impression with my character. In addition to this spectacular scene, I also got to say lines like, “So you mean I’m drunk? I feel strange, but also good!” In fact, John D.F. Black — who I didn’t realize at the time hated me — also wrote Justice, where he gave me the awesome line, “We’re from Starfleet! We don’t lie!” Thanks for that one, too, Mr. Black.)"
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:rofl:

I've read some of his stuff before. He's definitely risen above his years as The Boy.

I do think the way Wesley came across wasn't his fault. Star Trek has never, in any of its incarnations, had the least idea how to write children or teenagers.

I don't know why that is. Other shows can do it. But somehow on Star Trek children are either complete morons or miniature middle-aged fuddy-duddies, always with that horrible oversprayed plastic hair and the dorkiest clothes imaginable. I enjoyed most episodes of most of the Star Trek series, but somehow any episode that focused on a teenager or a child, even an alien child, managed to send me screaming from the room.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King