Rebuilding Lives Through Music

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Rebuilding Lives Through Music

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Some will recall that I mentioned that we put on a benefit concert for gulf coast hurricane survivors. One of the nice surprises is that my father and step-mother happened to be out west that weekend and got to come to the show. It was the first time that they have gotten to see us perform. My dad sent me some pictures, and I thought I put them up at photobucket so that people could take a look (after shrinking them to a quarter the size that he had them :roll:).

Also present at the show was our teacher, Mamady Keita, who was in town doing workshops (also put on by us - it was a very busy time). Mamady didn't perform (he is recovering from some serious health problems), but his wife Monette, who is mindblowing drummer in her own right, sat in with us for one number, which was a great treat. And though it was definitely nerve-wracking to perform for Mamady, I'm happy to say that we played well and did him proud. :D

Here is my favorite of the pictures. Very probably the two most accomplished female djembe players in the U.S. in my oh so unbiased opinion. ;)

Here is the album with all the pictures:

http://photobucket.com/albums/y60/Voron ... show/?sc=1
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Fabulous pics, Voronwë!

That's wonderful close-up of Beth. She looks transported.

I'm all curious about the giant marimba in the background. It's tonal, yes? What material is it made from traditionally?

The woman seem to be having the time of their life and the guys are all serious! What's that about?? :twisted:

Seriously, though, you really have to put your back into those drums, don't you.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Voronwë the Faithful

Jn, it was a great treat to share the bill with not one, not two, but three great Marimba groups playing Shona music from Zimbabwe. Probably the most infectious dance music in the world, in my humble opinion. They play seven different sized marimbas ranging from the lead tenor to those giant bass marimbas, which really get inside you. The keys are made of wood. The resonators were traditionally made from gourds ranging from small to giant, but now they use pvp pipes, as you can see from the pictures.

Beth and Monette are by far the most accomplished drummers on the stage, which probably explains why they look the happiest. Honestly, I usually have a great time performing, but I was working awfully hard that night, because I was pulling double duty, since one of band members had recently left the group, leaving me to play two drums and the bell instead of just one.

I built those stands special for this show. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Such lovely photos!

I so want to hear you all someday. :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë, if you have a performance that has been videotaped, I can help you convert to a web friendly format...
Voronwë the Faithful

Al, you are a mind-reader! The show was in fact taped, and I should be getting a dvd of it soon. I had intended once I received it to ask for your assistance in doing exactly that. Thank you so much for agreeing to my request even before I asked it!

I'll be in touch when I receive the dvd.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:banana:

That's great news! Thanks, Alatar!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Wow, great pics, Voronwë, thanks for sharing! :love:
And may I say that Beth looks gorgeous! :D

:banana: for the upcoming movie-version!
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Voronwë, it does my heart good to see you enjoying yourself as you so obviously do! I am looking forward to seeing AND hearing you.
Dig deeper.
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Thanks for sharing! The pictures are great.

I can't wait to hear/see V playing! :D
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Looks like it was a fabulous show! 8)

I'm also hoping to see your band on film someday.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Voronwë the Faithful

I've posted a link to some clips from an earlier performance in Bag End. :)
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

A friend of mine and I are thinking of joining the local, very small, group of African drummers. Its small about three people, and only one of them knows how to play well, and she is from Scotland and has a really really thick accent so most of the time I am huh? She has been bugging us to take it up and this thread makes me want to. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Voronwë the Faithful

Padme, you should definitely go for it. :)