The movie I helped make is OUT!!!!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

The movie I helped make is OUT!!!!

Post by Rodia »

Attention all!

I have gotten whispers from the grapevine that, supposedly and allegedly, maybe the anticipated DVD release of Peter and the Wolf...

...is here.

:D

In stores in two days, online NOW.

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp ... e=101804GB

http://www.moviemail-online.co.uk/films ... _The_Wolf/

My name is in the credits for that film, people! I was running around the set for six months, sometimes doing nothing, sometimes doing a lot, but mainly having an awesome time despite all the problems we had.

It was my first semi-big world movie experience, and I can say I'm proud of the tiny part I played in making this happen. It was fun, it was hell, but really, trust me when I say this film is BEAUTIFUL.

Go get it. Tell me how you like it. Let me know if there's a glimpse of me in the Making Of- I doubt it, as I steadfastly avoided the camera when I could, but maybe.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

x-posted to all the boards I go to because I'm that chuffed. :P
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Rodia, that's awesome! :horse:

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

I'll say! :D I forgot to mention it's in the UK only for now...ahem. Sorry. But hopefully in other places soon!
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Congrats, Ro! :clap:

Sounds like you have good reason to be chuffed! :D

What was your contribution, then?
specially made to be screened theatrically in concert halls worldwide accompanied by live orchestras
That would be cool! :D
using stop-frame model animation
Oooh, I love that! :D

I've never been able to warm up much to "Peter and the Wolf", but I'd like to see that one! :) And as it's Naxos, it might be affordable. :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Wonderful! I guess I missed the part where it was a commercial release you were working on.. :oops:

I will look for it over here in the usual places--festivals and the like.
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

My contribution started with keeping track of frames for the animator. Then it was changing lenses and locking up the cameras for the night. Then suddenly I became a combination of IT support, camera assistant, coffee-maker, dailies downloader, translator, office worker, errand-runner....mmm yeah it was fun.

And then at the end I actually got to animate a couple of tiny, almost still scenes, and some background. So in the final credit list I show up as animator :rofl: . Cause they let me pick. :blackeye: Embarrassingly enough, they decided to make the credits alphabetical...guess whose last name starts with a B? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ax, did I really not tout it loud enough? :D :shock:

It's supposed to get a worldwide release, too, but I have no details. But it is supposed to air on the British CHANNEL 4 on Christmas.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

WOW! WOW! and more WOW! Rodia. :) :banana:

Will see it when it crosses the atlantic!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

MY WORD!!!!!! How fabulous!!!

:hug:
Dig deeper.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

That's extremely exciting!

You have every right to be as proud as you are. I hope I'll be able to buy this on DVD someday if it doesn't play in America...though if it's as good as you say, it should turn up here soon.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Ro! Congratulations dear hobbit!

I got a preview when I kidnapped Ro after the m00t so I can recommend the movie with some authority. It's beautiful in an entirely non-Disney way. The puppets realy look alive. Pure magic.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

I posted over at TOB but I'll post here, too. As I mentioned there, it is not yet available through Netflix so I entered a suggestion via their website. I received an automated response:
Greetings!

Thank you for your message. All requests, suggestions, business inquiries and offers will be forwarded to the appropriate person. Due to the volume of messages we receive, we regret that we are unable to personally respond to each one...
I've previously suggested the documentary about John Howe, Lord of the Brush, but it has not yet appeared. Hopefully Peter & the Wolf will have more widespread appeal that they'll add it to their offerings. :)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:)... maybe I should ask our library to get it! ;)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Wow, Rodia! I'm thrilled for you! :hug: I hope it does show up in this country soon!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Sounds like a well-deserved credit to me, Ro! :) You did animate something, and camera-assistent and keeping track of frames and all that is part of the job, too. :D

On the moviemail link it says:
Customers who bought this also bought...

Singin In The Rain
by Gene Kelly / Stanley Donen

Holiday
by George Cukor

Cabaret
by Bob Fosse

The Big Sleep (1946)
by Howard Hawks

The Squid And The Whale
by Noah Baumbach

I wonder what made them compare these movies to Ro's, but number one and two are two absolute favourites of mine, and number four is a movie I love, too - from this it sounds like Peter and the Wolf should be my cup of tea. :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

truehobbit wrote:I wonder what made them compare these movies to Ro's, but number one and two are two absolute favourites of mine, and number four is a movie I love, too - from this it sounds like Peter and the Wolf should be my cup of tea. :D
I haven't seen any of these movies, but I'll be willing to bet that this P&W would be your cup of tea. I can't wait for it to get where I can order it! And then I'll send the jacket to Ro for an autograph.
:love: :love: :love:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

And then I'll send the jacket to Ro for an autograph.
Now, THAT is a brilliant idea! :D
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

I've seen it and it's wonderful.
Channel Four broadcast it on Christmas Eve in the same timeslot they have used for previous prestigious Christmas animations such as The Snowman. Moreover the best TV listing magazine gave it as one of their half dozen choices for the day picked from that day's output from a dozen different channels. So it's not just me being loyal. See it, you will be impressed.
They will repeat it tomorrow Saturday December 30th on MoreFour at 6.25pm.
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

What can I say except :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ?
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Still not listed on Netflix. :(

Ro, do you have any relatives in Canada? I'd swear that you and hockey great Wayne Gretzky look like you could be related. :)

Edit: Now this is interesting. I did a little research on the web and found that Gretzky might be derived from Graczyk, a Polish surname. :D
Last edited by Old_Tom_Bombadil on Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

Uh...

Have I just been insulted?

:shock:
:p

Cause you've not seen me on the ice so I gotta assume you're saying I look like that gentleman? Gee whiz. But he does have something of the family looks in him...looks a bit like the guys from the West of the country...my uncle...mhm.

But, no, sorry. Maybe it's just slavic roots.