We Will Rock You - Queen (The Musical)

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

We Will Rock You - Queen (The Musical)

Post by Lurker »

I bought advance tickets to this musical since my wife and I has been looking forward to this, so we're flying back to Toronto around mid-March just to watch this.

http://www.wewillrockyou.ca/

Anybody has seen this in London?
I heard from a Merriadoc Brandybuck from Torc that this is way better than Mama Mia so I was looking forward to this.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I haven't seen it Lurker, but reviews aren't great. I have listened to the soundtrack, which I found to be very contrived. The songs are squeezed into a dodgy storyline with some uncomfortable lyric changes. However, I must point out that I'm a huge Queen fan, so I notice every change in Lyric and arrangement.

That said, its had a decent run in London, and Mamma Mia had the same criticisms levelled at it. If you liked Mamma Mia, you should enjoy this too. I suppose the trick is to go in wanting to be entertained. An open mind is half the battle.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Hopefully it will eventually come to the Western U.S. :)

Buddy you're a boy
Make a big noise playin' in the street
Gonna be a big man some day
You got blood on your face, ya big disgrace
Kicking your can all over the place

We will, we will rock you
We will, we will rock you

:music: :drummer:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

and Eastern US...

We will, we will rock you!!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

I saw it in London and didn't care for it at all. It started out all right and then it took a nose dive and never got any better.

However, like Alatar said, it's had quite a run in London (four or five years?) so don't take my word. I'm not a fan of jukebox musicals to begin with. I hope you enjoy it. :)
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
notlistening

Post by notlistening »

Lurker, I have seen this musical both in London and Sydney. I am a Queen fan and really enjoyed what Ben and the boys did. It's silly and fun and you get to clap and sing along in some parts. I'm sure you will like it if you like Queen's music. Even got to see Brian May and Roger Taylor outside the theatre!!!