The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Holbytla

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Post by Holbytla »

The book trilogy has been long published. The Swedish version of the cinematic trilogy has been released for some time. Now comes the English version.

Liked the books and liked the Swedish movies, even with subtitles.
Can it be a trifecta?

The clip looks promising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7awaM0U ... ideo_title
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

It does look promising.
Dig deeper.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Read the books. Only watched the first of the Swedish trilogy. It was so much like the book I didn't feel the need to watch the others. Those books were practically written for the screen.

The clip does look promising.

Trent Reznor's rendition of Immigrant Song ran shivers down my spine. It doesn't beat the original of course, but you know how covers sometimes complement or even update the original? This one does.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

That's not a clip, or a trailer. That's the whole movie condensed into 8 minutes. Why on Earth would anyone do that to a thriller you're hoping people will come to see?

It does look good though. I wasn't hopeful of them improving on the Swedish version, but there's potential there.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Alatar wrote:That's not a clip, or a trailer. That's the whole movie condensed into 8 minutes. Why on Earth would anyone do that to a thriller you're hoping people will come to see?

It does look good though. I wasn't hopeful of them improving on the Swedish version, but there's potential there.
It might have been the whole movie to you - but you know the story and I don't. I thought it was awfully long for a trailer, though.

I can't say I "got" much of it. Actually, the main thing I noticed was Christopher Plummer. Didn't know he was in it.
Dig deeper.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

You may not know the story vison, but I guarantee you if you watch the movie you'll find yourself forewarned about a lot of major plot points. I hate that. But then I'm spoiler phobic.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Alatar wrote:You may not know the story vison, but I guarantee you if you watch the movie you'll find yourself forewarned about a lot of major plot points. I hate that. But then I'm spoiler phobic.
Alatar, I probably won't be. I didn't get much out of that, just a lot of confusing scenes on trains and a bedroom. Really. Maybe it will all come rushing back to me, but I doubt it.

I don't like spoilers, either, though.
Dig deeper.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

The major twists weren't so much as hinted at in the 8 minute thing, but I agree, it showed too much.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm waffling on this one. From what I've heard, this isn't the movie for people who are strongly repelled by cruelty. I may read the book and then decide whether to watch it at home. Cruelty bothers me less on the page, where I can choose not to "see" it. :(

Yes, I am a wimp.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

I did not read the book, but saw the movie. But I did talk to some folks who read the book and said that the book was more disturbing than the movie. The movie was quite disturbing, to me. So I won't read the book.

But it was a good movie, the best of the three, for sure.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

I did not read the book, but saw the movie. But I did talk to some folks who read the book and said that the book was more disturbing than the movie. The movie was quite disturbing, to me. So I won't read the book.

But it was a good movie, the best of the three, for sure.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

There are bits that are hard on the page and hard on the screen. For me, I got through it because I read the book first. When reading, I can just not visualize the bits I don't want to. Movies are more in your face. But, in this case, I could handle the movie because, having read the book, I knew how it turned out in the end. That doesn't make what happens less brutal, but it takes the anticipation/dread out. Also, the movies did lighten stuff up a bit, IIRC. Partly because there's some information that's hard, if not impossible, to impart on film and partly because it would have crossed some lines with ratings agencies. So, while I was watching those bits, not only did I know what was going to happen, I also knew it wasn't as bad as in the book.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Prim, yes there are cruel bits, but the girl kicks ass. You just wait for her to kick ass and feel better. You'll love the books, am sure.

Can't wait for the movie to be out. I loved the trailer - because it made me confident that it is close to the book. The director mentioned in an article I read over the weekend (NYT or WSJ, am not sure) that he was really worried about the people who've read the book, and the changes he has made.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I enjoyed the books enormously - couldn't put them down! :)

I thought the first film - original Swedish language version - was the best of the three.

Both the first book and the film contain a couple of sexually violent scenes -including the heroine's spectacular revenge on her despicable tormentor. I don't like gratuitous violence, but the story is gripping and the heroine's motives understandable.

Noomi Rapace IS Lisbeth Salander. She is fantastic. I don't see how the actress in the US remake could possibly match up to that.

But I will go and see it, sure.

The Scandinavians do great crime dramas! :D. There's also Wallander, the Danish series The Killing ...
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Now that I’ve seen David Fincher’s English language version, here are my thoughts.

Fincher keeps the beautiful Swedish location. :)

I thought nobody could better Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth, but Rooney Mara proved me wrong. :D She is amazing. It shouldn’t be forgotten, though, how good Rapace was in the original film.

Although David Fincher’s film is sleeker and sexier from a stylistic POV, the exposition in the Swedish film is better. Fincher’s film is over-long and, in my opinion, sometimes too slavishly faithful to the source material in a way I feel clutters up the film narrative. However, the key confrontation with the killer is nastier and scarier in Fincher’s version – as it needs to be.

I like the moody, atmospheric score in the Swedish film but the score to Fincher’s film is even more memorable: it’s one of the best film scores I’ve heard for ages.

Maybe it was the cinema I was in, but the dialogue in Fincher’s film was really hard to hear at first. Very annoying.

Note: both the Swedish and the US film are rated 18 and contain a few scenes of sexual violence which are also integral to the plot, including Lisbeth’s motivation. Fincher’s TGWTDT is a lot more palatable to me than his Se7en (a film I loathe).

The first Swedish film is also the best of the bunch, as the murder mystery at the heart of the tale is so compelling: the other two Swedish films feel more like a mini-series than cinema (different director).
Last edited by Pearly Di on Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Potential spoiler:

So "sexual violence" equals "rape"? If so, I won't bother reading it or watching it, so I'd appreciate an answer. And I don't care if she gets revenge for it at some point. That's one of the things, especially on film, that I cannot watch.

Last edited by Lalaith on Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Yes, Lali. More than once, if I recall.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:( Thanks, yovi. But I am glad to know so that I can avoid it.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Sexual violence is, not surprisingly, usually a very big no-no for me as well.

But if I remember correctly, the book is less explicit about it, or at least written in a way that didn't harrow my soul. The tone of the books is not sensationalist, at all. It's also a very feminist fable: the heroine is not just a victim, she is a survivor. And the men she knows aren't all bad. 8)

Both films are more explicit than the book in some instances, simply because a film has to 'show' rather than 'tell'. They have the same feminist perspective as the book. But yes: the scenes in question do not pull their punches. So I think, Lali, you are right to avoid.

Mithluin also saw the Swedish version of TGWTDT, I remember.

I don't like gratuitous violence in films but I will watch war films that of necessity contain a lot of violence, e.g. Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, because I think they are good films with a strong moral message. And you expect films about war and genocide to contain some disturbing scenes at some point, because war and genocide are deeply disturbing.

I actually find suggestion the most disturbing thing of all, because of what your imagination comes up with. :(
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We started to watch the dubbed version a couple of weeks ago because of this thread.... and got bored and quit.

The boredom wasn't the decider about quitting, not for me. I suggested abandoning the movie the moment it became clear that a 24 year old woman had a guardian.

At that point, I looked up the description on wikipedia and we paused the movie and both of us decided it wasn't our kind of thing. Since it was a freebie on Amazon prime streaming, it was no big deal. We moved on to the first episode of season 2 of Dollhouse- another freebie. It made me cry, like all Dollhouse episodes, but at least it was SF. Or maybe fantasy.

Crime shows only interest me if they include Nathan Fillion. Or David Boreanaz. Or other actors I grew fond of in the SF/Fantasy genre. :love: