The Beatles Threadology

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Now that I think about it, Earth, Wind & Fire's cover of "Got to Get You into My Life" was passable.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Yeah.

At this point the discussion is futile.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Although I will say that EW&F had the 2nd best song.
Though it pales.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

My problem with the Aerosmith cover of Come Together is that I can't extricate it from the movie setting, which was, ah, silly? Stupid? Pointless?

I promise to track it down and listen, now that the movie has more or less faded from memory. I hope I don't get flashbacks.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Listening to the mono remaster set, courtesy of a sale at B&N's website (and a early Merry Christmas to you too, dear!). The early stuff is a vast improvement on the 80s mono releases (through Beatles for Sale). Punchier, crisper (especially in the percussion), no contest. I can't listen to the fake stereo remaster releases, so I can't compare those.

Into Help! now, and comparing to the remastered Stereo set. So far I'm not missing the stereo separation. There are subtle differences in the renditions, but the whole mono/stereo thing seems to shift the vocals in particular up and forward, if that makes any sense. Paul's mouth sounds like it's right behind my monitor on "Yesterday."
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I responded to this post a long while ago with an insightful thought or two, but it got eaten by the cyberspace gremlins and I haven't had an insightful thought since.

To the best of my remembrance, the post was something along the lines of saying the early Beatle albums were just on this side of stereo. There wasn't a ton of depth or separation, since the first two albums were recorded with 2-track technology, hence I'm not sure any of those recordings would gain or suffer much being reproduced in mono. I am sure the sound is a lot cleaner though.

The middle albums were so perversely separated and "stereoed" that I can't imagine the mono remakes not being vastly superior in every way.

The mono "suffering" could tend to appear in the later albums. There are a number of songs on their later albums that I think benefit from stereo. Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run is technically in stereo, but I have heard that it would take a sound engineer to notice the difference. The song comes across as a wall of sound, which works for that song, but could be detrimental to some of the Beatle's later releases.

I have the remastered stereo version of A Hard Day's Night, and on most of the tracks there is a noticeable difference from the original recording. I would love to compare that to the mono version. Heck someday I wan't all versions, if for nothing else, then comparison reasons. My goal is to continue assembling the various versions of each album.

On another train of thought, will there ever be a US dvd release date for the HBO/Scorsese Harrison documentary? I know it is out in other countries, but have yet to hear anything about a US release.

And for that matter, when will they ever rework the Let It Be movie and release that on dvd?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Let it Be will show up on DVD and Blu-ray when there are no living Beatles.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

There are some tracks on Revolver, and especially Sgt. Pepper, which are noticeably different from the stereo, not just in sonic landscape, but in having audibly different things played or not. The reprise of Sgt Pepper is almost a different song.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

John has been dead for over 30 years. George almost exactly 10. Paul and RIngo are 70+. I blame the whole Apple thing.

Random factoid. George, the youngest Beatle, was 26 when the Beatles broke up. Ringo, the oldest, was 29, John 28 and Paul 27.
Amazing.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:shock:

I do NOT believe that.

Of course, at the time, those ages seemed pretty middle-aged to me. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Yeah pretty tough to believe. And yet they seem to have condensed a couple of decades of music and work into a bit over seven years that they were together. It almost seems as if their time flowed differently, like they were in Lórien or some such place.

Here is a link to one of my favorite Beatle sites. I love being able to see what song was recorded when, and who played what instrument on it. There are also a ton of pics and loads of other stuff.

http://www.dmbeatles.com/pictures.php

Way back when, I was in the process of constructing Beatle albums, based on recording dates. My hard drive died, and subsequently so did the project. I may recreate it one day soon. After I do that, I will probably arrange my mp3's/iTunes files to correspond to that and come up with a more historically accurate set of "albums".

I admit to being a Beatle's geek. Which is another way of saying cool. :P
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If you haven't yet cheked out The Sunday Sweets on Cakewrecks, you should. :)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!