TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Personally right now I'm hooked on ER. I'm pretty behind in the show (season 9 which was released about 2 years ago) because after watching it for a while I stopped and then when I wanted to resume I knew almost nobody from the recent season :shock: so I had to go back a watch the seasons I missed. I might not have told you this but I watched a lot of TV especially last year (my senior year of high school) because most of the stuff I was taking was repeats of the year before but with a bit extra. That gave me a lot of free time during the week and I spent quite a lot of it on the TV :oops: . Some of the shows I watched include Numb3rs (a great show about someone using math to solve crimes-I think its a great idea especially with all those kids who hate math and can't see how it relates to real life), Prison Break (If you haven't seen it and don't plan on watching all of it I reccommend you don't watch even an episode because it is srongly addictive), Monk (a show about an opssessive compulsive detective that solves crime), CSI and many many more.

PS:I have to admit that I did not watch the last season of Angel because I heard that they weren't planning to continue it and I was so mad I decided that I wouldn't watch it because I would be helping those evil people that stopped showing it :twisted:
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Oooh, Monk is fun! :D I really like the concept. I don't understand how he can ever have been married, that seems to me to stretch belief too much - but the rest of it is just hilarious, the situations his condition gets him into. :rofl:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Ahh but Hobby you see you're missing something! Monk was sick before his wife died but he was able to control it. He was a cop and went to cop school (I think that's what its called) and survived it and passed! It was really only after his wife died that he became so obsessed. Before then he was living (relatively) a normal life!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Although, as stated, "Lost" is my only real TV obsession, I am very very fond of "Dr. Who." "Monk" is fun, too.

Swizzy (I've got to try out all the potential names, don't I?), I had never watched "ER" until my husband got cancer. His time in the hospital left him fascinated with the show, so we're working through the reruns. It's pretty fascinating, especially when you recognize some of the terminology or equipment.

He also adores any of the permutations of "Law & Order," so I end up watching a lot of those. When he's not watching L&O or ER, it's usually whatever's on the History Channel.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I forgot to list Babylon 5 among my past obsessions. I share it with my eldest son, who has watched it all the way through three times. We always watch the final episode together, clutching each other's hands and sobbing like babies. Mr. Prim also likes the show but is afraid to watch that episode. :P

There, full disclosure (everything before age 16 is under seal).

Hobby, yes, I do mean the new Battlestar Galactica. It's very different from the old one, but if you watch it with that in mind, you might like it. It is grim, but the writing and acting are very fine. It's much more of a political drama than a spaceships-and-ray-guns story. Edward James Olmos is superb as Adama, as is Mary McDonnell as the President of the Twelve Colonies—a woman who looks and acts her age and kicks serious rear end.

Eru, the new Dr. Who is running on the Sci-Fi channel. They're quite behind the UK, but Season 2 starts September 29th.

Swiz, I'm with you on not wanting to watch shows that don't have endings (or that end badly—which is why I pretend there were only five seasons of X-Files). I couldn't watch the last season of Farscape until I knew they were making a miniseries that would resolve the story. I've given up on Lost because I'm getting that bad X-Files feeling—that they don't really know or care where the story is going or even what the explanations may be for what's happened so far.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Swizzy (I've got to try out all the potential names, don't I?)
That's what they're there for!
Perosnally one of the reasons I like watching ER is because my dad is a doctor and even though now he doesn't work in the ER he once did have to do all that work. Really after watching ER I respect my dad even more than before, knowing that people must have died while he was trying to save them (never asked him about it) was something that never occurred to me!
Actually my dad said that after the show aired the number of people wishing to work in the ER skyrocketed! Its funny how TV shows can influence people so.

PS:No problems Prim :D
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

No, let's not bring up under-16 TV obsessions. I might have to admit to "Man from U.N.C.L.E." "Dark Shadows" and the original "Star Trek."

Prim, oh ye of little faith! "Lost" shall come through. All will be known in good time, and the answers will be well worth waiting for! I believe! I believe! I believe!

If not, I'm going to be really :x
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Mr. Wrong wrote:The single best season of television as a whole, of any show, of any time... is Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 3.
Incorrect. That would be The Simpsons. Season 4.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, I hope so for your sake, Wampus! :D And if it works out that way, I'll go back and catch up—thank goodness for DVDs.

X-Files was just such a bitter disappointment that it warped my perceptions, I guess. All that wonderful creepiness, all those hints at something amazing, ended in a bizarre tangle of wildly inconsistent explanations and the total destruction of both main characters.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

I disagree watch Prison Break and then come back :D

Meant for yov's post
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Last season I enjoyed "Invasion," but just as it was getting truly interesting, it was suddenly slaughtered by the dark forces. The network, that is. Cancelled! :cry:
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

I've watched one episode of Prison Break that a friend sent me, and I enjoyed it...but actually went to the computer four times during the episode to grumble that their portrayal of death row (and particularly attorney/client meetings) was so absurd that it was interfering with my enjoyment of the show. If something is grossly inaccurate about a subject I know, it's going to bug me so much that I can't see the show as entertainment.

I've heard that Law and Order, though, is really good - and actually is a great way to study for criminal procedure exams. The few episodes I've watched have been fun. I've also been urged to give Boston Legal a try, and I might.

It's really hard for me to get into a new TV show, though - even Angel, which became my favorite show ever, took months, as I said. Buffy also took me around six months to get through the first season. Queer as Folk may be the one show that I was hooked on right from the pilot, on the first night I watched it - and people who have seen the pilot understand why it could catch one's eye. ;)

I've tried to get into the West Wing and House but felt not much interest in watching the second episode after seeing the first, in both cases. Started watching The L Word, but turned off the TV on principle when the FIRST big thing in the pilot was this couple running around trying to have an IVF baby (:roll:) Everyone seems to swear by Lost, but it hasn't struck me as "my thing." I am not a science fiction person at all, which rules out BSG, Farscape, X-files, possibly even Firefly, and so on. (But, here's something bizarre - I've read a fair amount of X-Files slash, despite normally disliking fan fiction AND never having seen X-Files.) I vaguely want a new show, but am not sure what I want to watch, especially because I'm skeptical that anything will rock my world like BtVS and AtS.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

:rofl: :rofl: I know nothing about pretty much anything to do with law (most of my knowledge comes from 48 hours :shock: ) so I had no problem with it. I do know however how annoying watching something you know to be incorrect is. Try getting over it though- the show really is very good.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Ummm, people, why are we talking about non-Simpsons TV when Season 8 just came out two days ago? Jeez, people where are you priorities? :roll:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

yovargas wrote:Ummm, people, why are we talking about non-Simpsons TV when Season 8 just came out two days ago? Jeez, people where are you priorities? :roll:
I know yov's going to kill me but I don't like The Simpsons :help:
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

The Simpsons is about the only TV I ever watch and that's not very often.
I did watch DaVinci's Inquest a bit but it petered out in stupidity. I would like to know, though, did they ever get Brian?

I cannot, for the life of me, see anything profound in ANY other TV show I ever watched. I guess I'm missing that gland or something.

My husband likes CSI. I can scarcely bear to think that David Caruso even exists, never mind have to actually LOOK at him. Ugh.

William Peterson is okay, but the show is awful.

Sorry to rain on your various parades.

Um, and I tried "House" once.

Omigod.

Sorry, sorry, sorry.

It was rude of me to even enter this thread and I'm backing out NOW....
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

To each her own, vison!

(I totally agree about David Caruso, he makes me go eww eww eww. . . . Watched the show once.)
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Primula Baggins wrote:Eru, the new Dr. Who is running on the Sci-Fi channel. They're quite behind the UK, but Season 2 starts September 29th.
Darnit! Here I was waiting for BBC America to hopefully air it...and it has been aired....elsewhere. :rage:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Ice hockey. Specifically, San Jose Sharks ice hockey. I watched a ton of Olympic hockey last February, too. The new season will be starting soon. :)
Primula Baggins wrote:I love Firefly, from the same writer/producer, but have never really had the chance to get hooked on Buffy.
My wife and I went to a picnic last October and bunch of folks were talking about Firefly and Serenity. We'd never heard of them. Well, I put the DVDs on our Netflix cue, and we just started watching them last week.

We've seen five episodes now. I have to admit they're pretty decent, if predictable. Like a lot of shows, it's the character's personalities that make the show.

So what's with all the characters speaking bits of Chinese? (I think that's what they're speaking. I couldn't say whether it was Mandarin or Cantonese.) My guess is that it's a clever way for the writers to sneak in some cussing. :roll:
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I don't watch anything obsessively. Well, obsessively is maybe the wrong word...there isn't a show that I make a point of seeing to ensure I don't miss an episode.

I (we) occasionally watch Law and Order (the various permutations); House sometimes; Dr Who...(hmmm...what else?).

Oh, an Aus that non-Aussies won't have heard of, The New Inventors, in which Australian inventors show off their inventions, three a week, some really clever ones, to compete for the final to win backing for developing that invention for the market. Some truly left-field people, and the kids really enjoy the ideas showcased. It's very inspiring too; some inventors are as young as 16 and have produced ground-breaking products, often with an ecological consciousness.

Also a program from the UK, Star Portraits with Rolf Harris, in which each week, three different portrait artists paint a portrait of the same celebrity. It is fascinating, seeing the different approaches, techniques, media used by the artists, and the finished portraits are so disparate! Admittedly, we watch it mainly for the kids to be exposed to art from an entirely different perspective. At the end of the show the celebrity gets to keep just one of the portraits - and we, at home, debate as to which we would have chosen and why.

Yes...it's not terribly exciting...our lives do revolve around the kids, possibly too much so.

I've managed to watch only two episodes of Battlestar Galactica - it's on at 11 pm here, and by that time of night I feel like a shag on a rock - no way I could watch it and get up at 6:30 to make school lunches!