Songs that make you Cry

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Just bumping this cause I saw a lovely video compilation of Kilkelly

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... land&hl=en
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Folca

Post by Folca »

The only song that gets close would be "My Immortal" by Evanescense. I mostly pick music that drives me rather than invoke sentiment. Being sensitive emotionally is a great way to get yourself killed by distraction.
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
"Those who commit honorable acts need no forgiveness"
http://killology.com/sheep_dog.htm
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I too find I get teared up over classical music more these days, as opposed to my teenage years, when I used to sob over Nilsen "Without you" and the like!

Our church choir had us sing John Ireland's "Greater Love" one Remembrance Sunday and I just chocked before the end & couldn't carry on singing. :bawl:

Puccini's "Un bel di" also does it for me, especially because the first time I heard it was in a Deanna Durbin film, sung in English. I'm always a sucker for songs about unrequited/lost love ;)

Al wrote:
I find that songs about losing a child always get to me worst

Ravel's "Pavane pour une infante defunté" is another tearjerker, and definitely Clapton's "Tears in Heaven".

Ax wrote:
Most of the music that makes me tear up does not make me sad. It's an involuntary response to the sound, and in some cases, the juxtaposition of music and words. It's just too beautiful to bear without a physical response.

Definitely, and talking of Gallipoli, as elfshadow mentioned earlier, I can't listen to Albinoni's "Adagio" without seeing the images of Mel Gibson & co being slaughtered on the beaches of Gallipoli. So sometimes the use of a piece of music in a film adds extra poignancy to it.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Alatar wrote:Just bumping this cause I saw a lovely video compilation of Kilkelly

I first heard this song in elementary school. I don't remember being upset by it - my classmates and I were too young to "get" it. But the tune, the subject, and the opening of the at third verse...for some reason I've never forgotten any of that.

And I get it now.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Although not really a fan of country music, there is some of it that I do like. And if you want to reach for the kleenex, no other genre does it better. There are three that come to mind

Dolly Parton ME AND LITTLE ANDY. Even Dolly says this song is outright pitiful. But its beautiful and oh so precious in all the best ways.

Kenny Rogers THE GREATEST. Just a wonderful song, and again with a kid in it.

Martina McBride GODS WILL. Okay, she has better songs, but this one tears me up every time - especially the video.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Awww.... :cry:

I've had a soft spot for Kenny ever since I heard "LADY" :love:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I was taken totally by surprise on New Years Eve, when my husband and I went to see a Cajun band play. My husband's uncle was a rather famous Cajun musician, and I've had to endure listening to my husband's attempts to convert scratchy old LPs into CD format. I can only endure a couple of songs before putting in earplugs. :bang:

However, this band had a woman singing. She was middle aged and wore a weird frumpy dress, but her voice was so beautiful that tears were rolling down my face with every song she sang. She was singing in French, so I could only understand maybe one word in seven, but the sound of her voice really got to me. When the guy sang, his voice was rather irritating- but her's was lovely.

The funny thing is, we bought one of their CDs and even though we have a very good stereo system at home- the songs did not affect me the same way. Some element of her voice does not carry over into a recording. I'm not sure what that something is, but I can listen to the CD without getting my heartstrings twanged.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Maria,

I agree, there are some Cajun songs that make me eekk. Some that are really good, and mostly it's when the women are singing.

Alatar,
KilKelly reminds me of my family. It's hard to remember that people left mom and dad and most of the time never came back only communicating by letters.

I don't listen to sad songs much anymore, too close to the edge to do so, now they just make it almost impossible to do anything, so I avoid them.
Springsteens Devils and Dust will do me in at this point.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

Alatar wrote:Just bumping this cause I saw a lovely video compilation of Kilkelly

I just wanted to say that the feelings evoked by this song are similar to the feelings I get reading the short story "Home Sickness" by George Moore, which covers a similar theme.

Kilkelly is a brilliant song, very moving, very poetic.

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

A Little Night Music. Dame Judi Dench

Not nearly the best version sung out there, but one of the very best acted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rEhOnd8S-8
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.