BBC and Amazon to bring "Good Omens" to the screen!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: BBC and Amazon to bring "Good Omens" to the screen!

Post by Inanna »

How fond are you of the book?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I haven't read the book yet. We finished the mini series last night, though, and now I do like it. :) I've bought the audiobook and will be listening to it next to compare. :)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Glad you like it.

The big deal is because it’s a VERY popular book. :)

I still haven’t watched 4-6. I don’t know why I’m so sleepy in India!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Jet lag?

I finished watching 5, and I'm enjoying it a lot more. I do realize that my complaints are about what they left out rather than what is in. Gaiman did say that they had to leave many things out for budget reasons.

I don't know what it means for the Tolkien fanfic they have in the work. Surely that would have to be a much more expensive production.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I’m over jet lag.... it’s just low entropy in Dun here, I think.

Yes, there was enough material for a full season...
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We are almost done with chapter one, and haven't heard any significant differences yet between book and screen.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Thanks to TV Good Omens, I finally got the "Ciao means food" joke. It made no sense to me on page but when spoken I recognized that it sounded like Chow. :blackeye: Typical Pratchett pun, like a rake in the grass that was just waiting *for years* until I stepped on it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, I loved it!

Props to whoever shoehorned in the Brass Band rendition of Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I've seen till 5 now. I love it too! I just don't like the narrator approach, but it does make things simpler.
Hastur is also *brilliant*. As is Gabriel.

But man, Crowley and Aziraphale take the cake, icing and the writing on the cake.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I think the voice of God (as opposed to Metatron, the Voice of God) as a narrator is a means to include some of the clever bits of the book that would not work as dialog. It kinda works.

I've always known that Tenant would be a fantastic Crowley, but he has exceeded my expectations.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

In other Pratchett-on-TV news, I've given up on The Watch series, especially seeing that Good Omens went from announced to released since I've last seen any news, but apparently it lives.

‘The Watch’: BBC America Series Adaptation Of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld Casts Adam Hugill As Carrot

I can't say I am all that excited for the series, since it's going to be "inspired by" Pratchett's stories rather than adapting existing books. With Pratchett, it's going to be an even bigger problem than Amazon's Tolkienish endeavor.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I've finally gotten around to this, and am two episodes in. I love it.

I'm very curious to hear what people who've never read the book think about it.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Fine. Be like that then. :)
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Be like what? :scratch:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Isn’t it just brilliant? I have to see it again....
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Jude wrote:Be like what? :scratch:
It just implies you don't want to hear what those of us who HAVE read it think! :)
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'd be interested to hear your views - but the real test of an adaptation is whether they made it both coherent and engaging to those who don't have the benefit of already being familiar with it.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I watched it before I listened to the book and loved it. Then I had to watch it again after the book, because the Queen music was a much bigger deal in the book and I didn't catch it in the TV version.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Jude wrote:I'd be interested to hear your views - but the real test of an adaptation is whether they made it both coherent and engaging to those who don't have the benefit of already being familiar with it.
Oh I loved it, but then I also loved the book and the radio adaptation. I'd love the BBC to do a new adaptation of Neverwhere also. The original 90s version is very dated now.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Have finally finally finally gotten around to starting to watch. Through the first disk (half way through) and the absolute best thing I can say is this is a Nice and Accurate Adaptation :love: :love: :love: You can absolutely feel Neil Gaiman's hand in every single scene, ensuring that it stays true to his and Sir Terry's vision.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF