fiber arts and handicrafts

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: fiber arts and handicrafts

Post by Inanna »

Wow!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I've also made a woodpecker that's pretty nice... but I keep forgetting to take pictures of it. :doh: It's made to cling to bark, and I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Once I figure out the display problem, I'll post a picture here.

I asked my other two kids what they'd like for their felt creatures. So a dragon for my son is next, followed by a "trash panda" for my younger daughter. I had to look that up. She's specifically requested a cute raccoon , not a scary snarling one. :roll: So I sent her this image and she texted back, "Awwww!"

I don't think I'll be able to do it justice... but it's something to shoot for. :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Oohh. Dragons! I foresee a Middle-earth line...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Actually, I'm working off of pictures of firelizards from Anne McCaffrey's Pern books for this first effort.

I've been eyeing needle felted dragons online for a while now, wondering about how to do it and saw this one of Smaug: http://www.artprize.org/61884

It's HUGE and very, very detailed. Of course, you have to make them huge to get details in. When I was making the sloth it was really rather upsetting to me that I couldn't get the nostrils in his nose right. There just wasn't enough wool there to work with. There is definitely a lower limit on size with these things. The bigger you go, though, the better you can do the details. :) That Smaug sculpture is magnificent! :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Wow!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

holy cow!

And that raccoon is adorable.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Muaaahaaaa haaaaa haaaaaa!

I've discovered that if I pull out all the coarse fibers in a given tuft of wool and use only the finest, softest bits of wool, I can go much smaller on the details. This is necessary for the face on a dragon so small that can fit on the palm of the hand.

Next purchase: lighted magnifying glasses! I can't accept having the lower limit on detail be my aging eyesight!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The brown dragon is done. :) Or maybe it's a hatchling fire lizard...

My husband took it to work this morning and has it set up on the ball that does flashing lights and holiday music:

I'm really pleased with how this turned out. Pulling out all the coarse fibers left just downy brown fluff to do the skin with, and once I had it felted down, it made a delightfully soft and smooth hide. :)

The wool dye I ordered came in, so the next dragon I make will be a gold one. :)

The clip on magnifying glasses worked great, by the way. :) They are only 3X, but that's enough that I can see what I'm doing better on the fine details.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That is so totally a brown fire lizard.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I need to make the tail longer on the next one, so it can wrap around one's wrist! :D
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Maria wrote:I need to make the tail longer on the next one, so it can wrap around one's wrist! :D
Awesome!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Maybe wire it, so someone could wear it as if it were riding on their arm. I'm sure there are Pern cosplayers who would love to have a fire lizard like that!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That's a brilliant little dragon. So soft and adorable!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The tail does have a pipe cleaner inside it, so it can be wrapped around something-- but it's too short to go all the way around a wrist. The tail is a bit stubby- so making the next one longer makes sense.

My husband tried setting the little creature on my head, and that turned out to be a bad idea. I made the wing claws too curved and they hooked into my hair and it was a bit difficult to get out!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I got the woodpecker mounted! My coworkers paid me a bit for my time and we are giving it to my boss as a Christmas present this afternoon. :)
wp smaller.jpg
wp smaller.jpg (163.62 KiB) Viewed 11551 times
In case it isn't obvious, the chunk of wood is hanging on a nail on the wall.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

So neat! :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Awesome. :)
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

They are both awesome!
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The raccoon didn't turn out cute. I haven't even taken a picture of it yet. It looks like a tiny killer of chickens. I really don't like raccoons.

I made a robin for my mother in law. I'm fairly pleased with it.
20161219_195100 sm.jpg
20161219_195100 sm.jpg (115.24 KiB) Viewed 11434 times
Attachments
20161219_195051 (2).jpg
20161219_195051 (2).jpg (153.38 KiB) Viewed 11434 times
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

Wow!
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".