Live Music

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Live Music

Post by Alatar »

I just started a Livejournal and posted the following. Dunno if anyone's interested, but here it is anyway.

I went to a concert on Saturday Night. A small gig in a local theater with I suppose maybe 400 people, tops. It really reminded me how much I miss live music. The band scene in Ireland is more or less dead. Musicians in Pubs play with drum machines and backing tracks. You might as well have a DJ, cause it's not live music. When I was in my teens, you could go out any night of the week and see a great three-piece or duo or soloist. One man and a guitar, with a little amplification and maybe a chorus pedal. Nothing too complicated, but what a sound could be produced with a little talent. I used to play in a three piece myself for about a year. Me on Guitar and Vocals, another guy on Bass and Vocals and a girl on Tambourine and vocals. We played a pretty eclectic mix of music, from Housemartins to Dylan, Abba to Paul Simon. A little bit of everything, with emphasis on vocal harmonies. That was our "hook". Of course, as with all good things, it didn't last long. Bass player and Female vocalist got together, then split up and the band went the same way. I don't regret it. We had fun while it lasted.

So Saturday night I went to see Jack L. He's an Irish singer/songwriter with an amazing voice and a great style all of his own. He opened the gig with a solo number on acoustic guitar. That takes balls. Over the course of the next 2 hours he played ballads, rock, a little Jacques Brel and everything in between. A real class act. Which of course means he'll never make it internationally. What a waste.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Not sure why that should be a waste? He's having fun making his music, that counts.
Besides, making it internationally is really a big thing - most names that are great in their own country are not known beyond the borders. So, making it nationally would be a cool thing to begin with. ;)

Pity about the live music in Irish pubs, though - that really is a waste. :(

So, where's the link to your lj? :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I suppose because such talent deserves a bigger audience. he's pretty big nationally, but I thing his music has universal appeal.

AlatarVinyamar.livejournal.com
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Thanks for the link - I'll try to remember to peek! :P :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Well just because they don't make it internationally dosen't mean it's a waste. It sucks but I don't think a waste. There is a fabulous Canadian band called The tragically hip but the can't make it in merica. That dosen't mean that it's a waste. They still make fabulous stuff. (Sorry if I am being too simplistic)

I could always be sneaky an see if I could mention the name to Clip Trip (television program that discusses international music).
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I've friended you! My LJ is MiraLira... :D
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame