Tuesday Nights

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Sunsilver

Tuesday Nights

Post by Sunsilver »

Tuesday has been my TV evening, ever since I became a fan of NCIS partway through its first season. When NCIS Los Angeles came along, hey, no biggie. I'd usually watch them back-to-back. Sometimes I'd skip L.A., as I am not as big a fan of that series.

Then, I got hooked on Chicago Fire. WOW! As a former Emergency! (Squad 51) fan, I found I enjoyed this series even more. The plots were better, the characters more diverse and interesting (not to mention good-looking) the presentation more polished (we don't really need to see the radio speaker to know someone's talking over the radio!) and it was just better in every way! One channel carried it at 7 pm, the others at 10, so no problem: Chicago Fire, NCIS, NCIS L.A., then Chicago Fire again at 10 if I'd missed it at 7 for some reason.

Last year, I also became a fan of Switched at Birth. It was the first time I'd ever seen a series portray the every day life of a Deaf/handicapped person who wasn't some sort of a superstar lawyer or crime fighter. I LOVED it! I especially loved the season finale, where the writers/directors made a very bold move, and broadcast it from the Deaf students' POV, with no audible dialogue, to give hearing people a better understanding of their lives and culture. The current season is equally awesome, as it shows the problems a Hearing student is having trying to integrate with her Deaf dorm-mates, who have ASL as their first language. They sign at the speed of light, and she has trouble following, and is often left out as a result. It was broadcast Monday nights, and repeated 3 times throughout the evening.

I also fell in love with Call the Midwife, a British series about midwives in London's impoverished east end in the 1950's, before the days of the Pill. Some of the midwives are nuns, others just specially trained nurses. This series brings back fond memories of my own nursing days, when I worked for St. Elizabeth Health Care, a nursing organization that has its roots in the Catholic Church, and was originally staffed solely by nuns. However, the series didn't seem to have a set schedule. It would be on PBS for a few weeks/months, then disappear, then pop up somewhere else. This year, it's being broadcast weekly on Vision TV, after Columbo, at 9 pm. Oh, and guess which night that is??

And oh, Switched at Birth has also been moved to Tuesday, and it's only being broadcast once on that night, at 8 pm..

AUUUGGGHHH!! :rage: :bawl:

WHAT ARE THE NETWORKS TRYING TO DO TO ME?? As all of these series (except Call the Midwife) originate in the U.S., I can't watch them on my computer. Even if I could, captions aren't usually available, and I MUST have captions to be able to understand the dialogue! My cochlear implant did dramatically improve my ability to communicate, but it definitely failed in that one area. I am still very dependent on captioning when it comes to watching TV and movies. :(

What's a girl to do?

[sigh!] Guess I'd better pull out the manual for my old VCR, and see if there's a couple of old tapes I wouldn't mind sacrificing...

BTW, If you're trying to get hold of me by phone, DON'T call on Tuesday night! I won't be picking up! :wooper:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Sunsilver

Re: Tuesday Nights

Post by Sunsilver »

Oop! My server timed out, I think, which resulted in me somehow posting THREE new threads!

Could one of the mods fix that for me, please?

Anyway, forgot to mention the latest addition to the NCIS family: NCIS New Orleans! I find it much closer to the original. Pride is another very strong father-figure, like Gibbs, and the other characters are very well done too. I love their coroner, she's a real hoot, and so is her geeky assistant. It's broadcast right after the original NCIS, and L.A. has been moved to Monday night. I still watch L.A. sometimes, when I'm in the mood. I'd have a hard time telling you just why I don't enjoy it as much, though. Maybe some of the plots just seem a bit too far out in left field? Characters not as believable? It's really hard to put my finger on it!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: Tuesday Nights

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'll tidy up, Sunny!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King