The Expanse

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: The Expanse

Post by Alatar »

That was an anomaly Jude, I'd even say a misstep. Its not representative of the series.

BTW, don't forget the short stories. The Churn is particularly strong, but I'll say nothing for fear of spoilers!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It is a misstep. It's a flaw in her character—she is far from perfect. She develops throughout the series, in the book and TV show. If you were to watch, you would see her husband and others arguing against the tactics she displayed in the first episode. The ethos of the story is very much against this kind of thing. You see terrible people doing terrible things, but you also see good people struggling and often succeeding to do what's right.

One of the new characters introduced this season is an Episcopal priest. She's not perfect, either, but she's a voice calling for peace and hope. The show has a range of characters and a range of beliefs, and it certainly does not advocate for torture.

The novellas are pretty much wonderful. The most recent one I didn't quite get the point, but it's late in the series. "The Churn" is brilliant—it's about what made Amos who he is. It's not an easy read, and sometimes it's heartbreaking, but it's what made his character real for me.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Okay, maybe I'll give it another try.

I've been reading the books, though, so I think I know the priest you're talking about.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, she's the same, although the story has been tweaked a bit to make more of it fit into this season.

I have and have read all the books and novellas and have preordered the eighth one, which is coming out in December. There will be a ninth, and that's it. The authors are launching another, entirely different series—I believe it's fantasy, which I'm sorry about, because there's very little fantasy I enjoy much. Spoiled by LotR, of course, but also by N. K. Jemisin's "Broken Earth" books.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

The torture scene was painful to watch but I disagree it was a misstep. Avasarala is implacable, and that scene also made real the significant (for the narrative) divergent evolution of humanity: the torture of that Belter is achieved simply by exposing him to gravity.

That scene is also the only one in which the Belters' almost alien height - the body stretched beyond earth proportions - is brought to the screen.

The effect of gravity was brilliantly highlighted by the heavy earrings Avasarala wears, which pull her lobes earthward - so subtle yet so telling!

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Prim, you also owe me half a night's sleep. And not doing my Python course.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Inanna wrote:Prim, you also owe me half a night's sleep. And not doing my Python course.
Awwwww, sorry, Inanna! :D
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

And my 110 students their grades.
;)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

*dons sackcloth and ashes*

*abases herself*
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Just started Book 2. Great work here. Really enjoying the books.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Can I just say that Ep 11 of Season 3, the aftermath of the sudden change in speed limit, is one of the best uses of special effects I've ever seen on film. The facts of emergency triage in zero-g, the billowing flame in Nagata's shuttle, the spin up of the drum...

Awesome.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

And can I say that the final two episodes, which I just finished watching, are—I'm going to say it—the best series television episodes I have ever seen. Packed solid with character and incident. Every scene a turning point for a major plot or a significant character. Scary, moving, startling, suspenseful. And all of it clear, inevitable. It sounds exhausting; it was riveting.

And humane. Characters making the unexpected choice. Moments of understanding and forgiveness, or just plain love. Yes, violence (they're in an incredibly dangerous situation) and yes, fear—but also connections between characters I would not ever have expected if I hadn't read the books.

So good. Sooooo good. :love:

And I can only try to imagine how gutted I would be feeling right now if those had been the last-ever episodes. Instead we wait for season 4 on Amazon Prime instead of Syfy. Same production staff, same writers, same cast.

In the meantime, starting right now, seasons 1-3 will be streaming on Amazon Prime. If you get it, if this sounds interesting, give it a try.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I just started re-reading the whole series last night after taking a two week break (after finishing it).

I need to check how well Amazon Prime works on my new TV (YouTube just keeps loading. :(). Else I’ll make the effort to change that damn thing.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Just finished it, and I agree with all of the above Prim. i might also add that this is one programme where the series has actually improved on the books in many ways. Its a much tighter, more streamlined experience. The new Ashford and Drummer are like Bull, Pa and Ashford rolled into two characters.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I have no problem with the relative sprawl of the books—the whole story is going to be nine huge novels, after all, literally spanning the galaxy.

But in the context of the show, I agree that the editing and tightening have been perfectly done. I like the “new” characters very much.

I need to reread the books myself!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I just saw Ep 1 and 2 last night of season 1.

WOW! I am completely blown.

Alex, Naomi and Amos are just PERFECT. Holden hasn’t grown on me yet. The belters’ bodies.... amazing.

Avasarala - perfect!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The Expanse

I was put off at first by how pretty they made Holden, but after three seasons I think it fits; his character flaw, after all, is being a little whiny sometimes at how unfair everything is, and it fits that he’d be a pretty boy (and the only child of EIGHT genetic parents, which means his good looks were by their choice and also explains why he might be a little spoiled).

Glad you like Avasarala. I do, too.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I'm finally going through the books and can no longer picture Naomi as she was in the TV series. To me, she seems more like the belter woman who is teaching Havelok belter language in the first few episodes.

A lot of the changes have me really scratching my head... especially in Season three. For a while I thought Drummer was a character made up by the script writers, but now she's appearing as a bit part in the book "Nemesis Games."
:scratch:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I actually think the TV series is tighter, better paced and structured.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I do like how they've done the TV series, but I really don't understand the necessity for most of the changes from the books. Some are obviously simplification issues, which I do understand. But lots are just seemingly arbitrary and if they have a purpose, I just don't get it. And some are just cheap gimmicks meant to horrify. Those I despise.

And some good parts got left out completely. It just doesn't make sense to me.