Nolan's "Interstellar"

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Nolan's "Interstellar"

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Not really. What you consider cheap ways to earn sympathy, someone else might consider interesting and relatable characterization. And they may even be right.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

If you consider a character whose only meaningful character trait is that they love/miss their child/significant-other interesting and relatable then more power to you, I guess. But you'll excuse me if I hope for a little more from my stories.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We watched this yesterday. I'm glad we saw it at home because I had so much trouble understanding what the main character was saying that we had to put subtitles on. That usually only happens with extreme accents for me. There was something wrong with the balance of sound volume of voices vs sound effects and music.

The farm stuff was boring. And people can't live on corn alone- it's not complete protein. And giant dust storms in the middle of green growing things? Seems unlikely.

The space stuff was excellent. I couldn't find a single thing to nitpick about! Plus two alien world scenarios that I've never read about or imagined before. The second half of the movie made up for the first half. :) The ending was kind of maudlin, but adequate.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Maria wrote:The farm stuff was boring.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought so! And that "chase the drone" sequence was weirdly long and pointless.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The bluray actually malfunctioned during that, so we missed an unknown segment of the chase scene. 8)

I've lived in rural places most of my life, and I've never a farm house isolated in the middle of a field like that. There would be barns or machine shops or an outhouse or *something* else besides the house, even if it wasn't used anymore. Old machinery, dog house, fences- that kind of thing. Not even an attempt at a swingset for the child of the house. :nono: Just house, parking area, and fields and fields of corn. There was grass growing at the base of the corn, so they ought to have pastures and cattle and every other kind of farm creature that eats grass. But no. All they had left was Corn and the neighbor's dying Okra. :roll: They didn't even keep chickens to eat the corn and provide eggs. But then, chickens would be pretty sickly on just corn. Not enough protein..... but gee, people do OK?

Nutritional and ecological nonsense.

But I loved the utterly silent space explosions. :)