The Classical Music Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Old_Tom_Bombadil wrote:Brass players have to play pretty much every day, don't they, to keep up their embouchure? All instrumentalists have to practice frequently, but I understood that brass players do especially.
It is definitely harder on the mouth. You lose skin on your lips & such so you really do have to try to play as often as possible.

My trouble is that I will find time to practice for a good month or so & then skip a month. Basically have to start all over again. :roll:
I found trombone very easy, trumpet a little more difficult, and French Horn more difficult still.
The horn is supposed to be the hardest of the brass. I really couldn't tell you because I appear to have been destined to play the horn & I really do love it. I played trumpet for 2 years in jazz band and found it annoyingly easy to become a "screamer" and such. My instructor actually asked me to stop because he was afraid it was too hard on my lips! LOL
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Heard an old Ormandy recording of Saint-Saens's symphony number 3 on the radio the other day and have been looking for it since. It may be one of the few pieces in the canon that actually sound better recorded than live as often as not...unless you have JUST the right combination of organ and acoustics.

This one was great. 1959 never sounded so good. :)
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Old_Tom_Bombadil wrote:If I had it to do over again I would have switched to oboe or bassoon, although I think I would have been a good brass player.
I've always wanted to play the oboe along with the french horn. I'm sure I would have been good at either. I still regret not choosing french horn as I love its sound and the music it gets to play in orchestral works. Band music for french horn isn't so great though.
Brass players have to play pretty much every day, don't they, to keep up their embouchure? All instrumentalists have to practice frequently, but I understood that brass players do especially.
I would say no. I have my degree in music education so I went through having to learn every instrument. I remember having a very difficult time with endurance on clarinet since that embouchure used different muscles. My embouchure would collapse after a few minutes. My chin muscles would get tired when playing flute (not to mention having enough air was difficult). I don't think brass players have to practice any more than woodwind players do to keep up their strength. A few days off didn't affect me. Sometimes it helped me because it gave my lips a rest. I remember sometimes having swollen lips because I'd played so much. I do remember woodwind players having more endurance than brass players though.

I've not played for a year but if I were to go try again, I could still play...just not well. It's not like I'd be starting all over again though.
I found trombone very easy, trumpet a little more difficult, and French Horn more difficult still.
Each instrument has their own specific difficulty. A trombone embouchure is fairly easy because the mouthpiece is so large. But it takes a good deal of air(that was easy for you because you were a flute player). Also, getting the slide positions perfect for correct tuning and having to tongue every single note (even slurs) to prevent glissandos can be difficult. Trumpet has the most difficult embouchure out of the brass instruments I think. But air isn't such a big deal as there's a fair amount of resistance. French horn is difficult regarding getting the right notes. It's a squirrelly(sp?) instrument. The intervals between the notes for all the valve combinations is somewhat close together so it's easy to hit a wrong note when starting out. When I was teaching, one of my students was a french horn student. Because I didn't want to have to transpose, I played french horn in the lesson. I was better than her since she was a beginner, but I still found it a bit difficult. I always had what I call burrs on the beginning of my notes because I wasn't used to the instrument. Also my ear has been tuned to the key of Bb and switching to the key of F was difficult. Often my sense of pitch was off. It took me a few minutes to adjust.
We were required to play a scale for the class. For some reason I found it easier to play high notes than low notes on Horn so I played a very high scale. Considering that I'm a tenor and played flute, I determined that I must be treble oriented. :D
Playing the lowest notes on horn is a bit of a challenge. It's a balance between a loose and firm embouchure. Same with trumpet pedal tones. It actually takes strength yet relaxation in order to play the low notes well. It's hard to explain. :P I always found playing extreme low notes to be really fun. :D

ax, I don't know...hearing that symphony live is pretty fun. :) I got to play it with my college orchestra. It was a blast. :)
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Oh, it's fun to see live, no mistake, but generally they use a Hammond style electic organ and amp it up these days.

It needs a PIPE organ for those chords to punch you back in your seat. :D And that limits the optimal live venues. Did you actually get to do it with a pipe organ? :bow:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Eruname wrote:I have my degree in music education so I went through having to learn every instrument. I remember having a very difficult time with endurance on clarinet since that embouchure used different muscles.
I also studied all the instruments. I didn't learn much of the strings, I'm afraid, as the professor was an old, burned out dude who rarely came to class and when he did he only wanted to play tunes and let us guess what piece they were from.

When I say "burned out" I mean quite literally. I recall during one class he spoke about performance enhancing drugs. I have no idea why this guy was still teaching. For the sake of other students I hope he finally retired for good shortly after I had his class.

I didn't have difficulty with the clarinet embouchure, but going back and forth using that register key (or whatever it's called) was brutal. Saxophone was delightfully simple as the fingerings were the same as flute. :)

Although I haven't played recently, I took up penny-whistle some time back. It's fingerings are very much like flute, too.
Eruname wrote:French horn is difficult regarding getting the right notes. It's a squirrelly(sp?) instrument. The intervals between the notes for all the valve combinations is somewhat close together so it's easy to hit a wrong note when starting out.

That's it exactly, although the bore is narrower, too. Since my chops had been built up from playing trumpet earlier in the semester it wasn't so difficult.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Old_Tom_Bombadil wrote:When I say "burned out" I mean quite literally. I recall during one class he spoke about performance enhancing drugs.
Interesting. :shock:

I did my student teaching in orchestra. Bass was the instrument I was best at, but I got along okay with violin. Bass and cello were so much easier to sound nice on.
Eruname wrote:That's it exactly, although the bore is narrower, too.
Do you mean the mouthpiece bore? That depends on the mouthpiece. Look at trumpet jazz mouthpieces and they are shallow and have a small bore. My legit mouthpiece was about as big as you could get on a trumpet...wide rim, deep cup and large bore.

I don't think the mouthpiece bore size is really that different between french horn and trumpet. The main difference is the trumpet mouthpiece is a cup whereas the horn one is conical. Horn mouthpieces always hurt me a bit as I was used to the smoother trumpet ones.
Since my chops had been built up from playing trumpet earlier in the semester it wasn't so difficult.
Yeah, it helps, but still the two embouchures are quite different...in a way opposites of each other.

I know a fair bit about embouchures as it was kind of my private teacher's specialty. He changed mine quite drastically and it improved my playing drastically as well.

ax, no I don't think it was a pipe organ unfortunately. Really I don't know. I'm assuming it wasn't as there were no visible pipes and that's the sort of thing you'd show off.
The_Hutter

Classical Music

Post by The_Hutter »

It alway has a special place in my heart, it alway keep me on top of things, that is what

It something that is sad, but is happy, just added words to a Beethoven 9th and what would it be

lol
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Primula Baggins wrote:Wagner is like getting lost in an apple forest while being pursued by angry demigods.
I must have missed that the first time through this thread! :rotfl:

I very much enjoyed talking music with Erunáme during the San Francisco moot. After the moot I visited Amazon.com and listened to a number of sample recordings of Mahler lieder. (I kinda gathered that Mahler is her favorite composer.) I put a recording of "Des Knaben Wunderhorn" featuring Anne Sofie von Otter and Thomas Quasthoff on my Wish List.

It's too bad Ms. von Otter wasn't around during the time that "The Muppet Show" was on the air. Maybe they could have featured on Otter named in her honor like they did with Placido Flamingo. :D
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Jewelsong and I, and some friends and colleagues of hers, saw The Messiah performed last night at St Martin in the Fields church on Trafalgar Square:

http://www.stmartin-in-the-fields.org/j ... nd=concert

Oh, it was wonderful. :love: Such glorious music, and the spirituality of it is sublime and deeply moving. :bawl:

I also really like a small-ish orchestra and a small-ish choir ... a more authentic sound, closer to how Handel conceived it, and the wonderful conductor took it at a great pace :D beautifully light and airy :) but also achingly profound.

The guy on the piccolo trumpet was a cutie. =:)

At its first performance in Dublin in 1741, Handel remarked on the "Grand, Polite and crouded audience."

And in order to get more people into the hall for future performances, the ladies were exhorted not to wear hooped gowns and the men not to wear their swords. :D Isn't that wonderful. :love:

This, and Bach's Mass in B Minor -- :bow: -- have to be two of my very favourite choral pieces.

I now very much want to get The Sixteen's recording of Messiah:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handel-Messiah/dp/B000002ZEM
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Yesterday evening, I attended a concert of Medieval and Baroque Christmas music.

The concert was in the medieval church close to my home, a place with perfect acoustics for this kind of music. The performers were a female vocal trio specialized in Medieval/Gregorian songs, especially the songs by Hildegard of Bingen, and a recorder quartet whose repertoire ranges from medieval to contemporary compositions. Now, they played the music by e.g. Di Lasso, Praetorius, and Bach.

I love both Gregorian chant and Baroque music, so this concert was a must for me, and I enjoyed it more than I can describe. (Although, having been on a Gregorian chant lesson in that particular church myself, I thought that the trio sang a bit too loud at times, forgetting to communicate with the space. ;) )
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Ooooh, Hildegard of Bingen! :love:

That sounds WONDERFUL, Rowanberry. :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Di wrote:
I now very much want to get The Sixteen's recording of Messiah:

I can't praise The Sixteen highly enough. I was lucky enough to attend a workshop run by one of their members, bass Eamonn Dougan, on Treasures of Tudor England, as part of the Brighton Early Music Festival.
He taught us some lesser-known pieces by Robert White (Christe qui lux es et dies IV and Lamentations) and Robert Parsons (O bone Jesu).

I also recommend their CD of choral music "Renaissance Music for Inner Peace"

http://www.the-sixteen.org.uk/recordings/index.htm

Eruname wrote:
have you listened to any Prokofiev?
I adore Prokofiev, especially his ballet music for Romeo & Juliet, and Cinderella. My other favourite composers are Scandinavian - Grieg, (one of my all-time fave choral works is his "Ave Maris Stella") and Sibelius - any of his symphonies, "The Swan of Tuonela", and the "Karelia Suite."
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My son just sent me a link to the Harvard Glee Club site—men's a capella. At top right there is a whole list of songs you can stream, and the quality is excellent, quite up to the rather good speakers I have hooked up to my desktop computer.

I so love this kind of singing and miss hearing it. David used to be in several choirs, so we were always going to concerts; now he's in college far away and has no time to sing anyway.

I really recommend the Ave Maria, which is what David recommended to me. But I'm going to listen to all of them. Quality online streaming classical music doesn't grow on trees.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King