It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 2:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:13 pm 
Hobbit

Well, our disinterest was probably exacerbated by the fact that we've been re-watching Buffy lately, and it was really a chore to sit through the dreariness that was the first hour of the Blade Runner sequel. When we both admitted we weren't enjoying it, we decided to take a break, went back to Buffy, season 2, the "Halloween" episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. :love:

We might get back to Blade Runner 2049. Maybe. I kept thinking through most of the part we watched that the humans could save themselves a whole lot of trouble and make the robots non-humanoid. You don't need a human form for most tasks. Then the whole "they look like us, are they really humans?" angst would be avoided. Then I'd get to feeling guilty about discriminating about non humanoid intelligences. And I'd think about Star Trek NG and Data and his fight to get recognized as a sentient being- and how I never, ever wondered at the time why Data got so much support in his fight to be recognized and the extremely smart ship, The Enterprise, didn't. Because the ship wasn't even close to humanoid. But it was very intelligent. So, why didn't anyone stand up for its rights as a sentient being? Just because it wasn't humanoid?

And then my attention would get dragged back to the screen and I'd see the brutal murder of an old model replicant. It was just depressing. And I kept getting distracted by the protagonists eyes. If you are going to hire a guy to play a robot, why not get someone whose eyes are the same size and placed at the same level on his face? That was just weird.

And then another creepy replicant murder.

Ick. That's when we dropped out.

Was it really good, Alatar?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:32 am 
of Vinyamar

I thought so, yes. But I didn't overthink it if I'm honest. I just sat back and let it wash over me. Its not serious sci-fi, its more like art.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:10 pm 
Hobbit

Usually I can lose myself in a show like that. But my mind kept jumping and skipping about and being generally dissatisfied with the situation.

The violence in "Altered Carbon" didn't bother me at all, in contrast.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:23 am 

The Death of Stalin

I found it very entertaining, but this is really one of those films where different tastes will lead to wildly different reactions. I was apprehensive about seeing it for fear of a jarring slapstick making light of Stalinism, but the very diverse elements somehow came together for me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:56 pm 
Hobbit

We saw Ready Player One on a giant ultramax movie screen this weekend. It was great! It was also significantly different from the book, but the changes made sense and didn't hurt the story at all. This is the first book to movie adaptation I've seen that I thoroughly approve of. :)

We watched it with my son and daughter in law, who are avid online gamers. Apparently the movie was sprinkled with gaming references that my husband and I didn't get, because I kept hearing giggles from the two of them. And they hadn't read the book, and weren't already fans- so it was cool that they liked it too. :)

So, yeah, we drove a total of 4 hours back and forth to see a movie. Totally worth it! It really does play well on a giant screen. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:17 pm 
Throw me a rope.

Just came out from The Death of Stalin.

Brilliant! Worthy of Monty Python.

Black, black, black comedy, but really, how else to treat this period of history but as farce. The alternative - to treat it with the level of seriousness it deserves would make it too harrowing.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:50 pm 

Finally got to see Black Panther!

Things I loved about it:

T'Challa's snarky, scary smart sister. Her flipping him off near the start of the movie made me fall in love with her instantly!

Andy Serkis does a great job as the bad guy. He and Martin Freeman were both excellent as the Tolkien white guys in the movie... (sorry, couldn't resist...that is SUCH a good joke!) :rofl:

The other antagonists T'Challa faces are people who are not 100% evil. Even the other 'bad guy' is someone the audience can relate to and have sympathy for (unlike Serkis's character, who is deliciously and beyond redemption eeevil.)

The women warriors, and they way they are done. Yes, they are nice to look at, but not presented as eye candy for the male audience. They also remain unfailingly loyal to the King.

The solution presented at the end of the movie - to change things, not by might, and force, but at the grass roots level. When was the last time a super hero movie presented THAT as a solution??

Oh, and I do love Stan Lee's little cameos in the Marvel movies. They always give me a good chuckle! :love:

Beefs? You could aim some of the usual criticisms at it that are common to all superhero movies, but even T'Challa's solution for winning the Big Battle between the two bad-ass invulnerable superheros is unique. And yeah, the fact he started his program to help other Blacks in the United States and not Africa could come under criticism, but I saw it as a way of honouring his cousin, who was born in that country, and wanted to bring change, too.

There. I think managed to do that without doing anything too spoiler-y! I would definitely give the movie an A, if not an A+ !

Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:14 am 
not something I would recommend

In preparation for the giant cinematic mega-event that is Infinity Wars, I have been gradually rewatching all 17 (!) of the previous Marvel movies to date. Because I know how deeply everyone is interested in my opinions on such things, I present to you now my super duper official rankings of all of these movies, listed from my personal favorite to least favorite.

Captain America: Civil War (THE BEST)
The Avengers
Thor: Ragnarok
Iron Man
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Doctor Strange
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Black Panther
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The First Avenger
Thor
Ant-Man
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Iron Man 3
Iron Man 2
(THE WORST)

And now - bring on Infinity Wars!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:54 am 
Living in hope

I notice you don't list Wonder Woman? Why not, yov?

That aside, I've only seen about half of these, but I would definitely rate Black Panther near if not at the top. So gorgeous, so funny, so groundbreaking. Yes, a superlong fight (yawn)—but there was enough wit, humor, and gorgeous visuals in the rest to keep me pulled in.

Maybe near, because Civil War is awesome. I have yet to see Spider-Man: Homecoming, but I thoroughly expect to like it; I love Spider-Man (he irons his costume!), and what I've read about this film is that it has a real sweetness to it. Rare in superhero movies.

And Iron Man (I) was great. Haven't seen the rest. I get worn out by superhero movies; the giant battle sequences do very little for me, whereas a quiet, well-written scene where we see inside these characters brings a film straight to the top for me. I'm much more interested in what possessing unimaginable power does to a person than in which one of a particular pair would win a bash-fest.

I guess I like flawed characters. Yet I still love Captain America . . . because his perfection is his flaw.

Oh, and Wonder Woman would definitely be near the top for me as well.

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:26 am 
of Vinyamar

Wonder Woman is part of the DC Universe Prim!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:02 pm 
Feeling grateful

I haven't seen a single movie on that list! (Though I do want to see Black Panther at some point.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:44 pm 

Prim lost some serious nerd cred points with that WW comment. :D

(But if you are curious, I would probably put Wonder Woman maybe one or two notches above the first Captain America. While I loved Gal Gadot and Chris Pine's characters and their wonderful chemistry, everything else about the movie was fairly average/ordinary to me.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:59 pm 
Living in hope

Ooops! :oops: As penance, I shall immediately go to the Closet of Shame and kneel on beans.

(Does show what a far weaker movie list DC has.)

And, nerd cred? I was reading Wonder Woman comics when I was five. However, by the time I was seven I had already decided Marvel was better—they had more humor in them, and the superheroes seemed more like people.

Also, just pointing out that as a published science fiction author my nerd credit limit is about as high as it can get, thank you. *tilt* *sniff* *flounce*

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:33 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

*Wafts in the wind left by Prim’s flounce*

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:39 pm 

Silly me, how could I ever doubt your nerd credentials! :oops: :oops: :oops:
All hail the queen! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Now I'm off to see some people get Avenged! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:29 am 

My initial review of Infinity War:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:53 am 
Meanwhile...

No spoilers!!!

‘No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts.’
Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:51 am 
Living in hope

Inanna wrote:
*Wafts in the wind left by Prim’s flounce*

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

And give us some spoilers, yov!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:14 am 
Meanwhile...

‘No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts.’
Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:32 pm 

SPOILER ALERT - Thanos teams up with Voldemort to finally kill C3PO!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next