The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I had fun watching it and that's all I care about. :3face: :P

Speaking of adaptations, I caught the second half of Stardust, which I've seen before. Talk about changing the story! And Gaiman apparently was involved with the making of the movie, so I guess he must have been ok with it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I watched Amazing Spiderman 2 with the kids. Got great reviews but didn't really pack any punch for me. Despite a major canonical moment which I won't spoil.

Looking forward to Winter Soldier, if I can manage to get to it before it leaves theatres.

Also really, really want to see Calvary. Is that making any waves over in the US?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:scratch: I'm not sure I've heard of it.

Winter Soldier got good reviews from my girls and the other people I know who have seen it. Apparently, watching S.H.I.E.L.D. (TV show) gives you even greater insight into the movie.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I've actually paused in my viewing of Agents of SHIELD because I'm told that events in Winter Soldier happened around where I am in the series and will inform later eps. I really like this expanded Marvel universe they have going on.

Calvary is the new move by the Irish writer/director of The Guard (which you should all see immediately).

The Guard is a quirky Irish turn on the buddy cop movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5pk6s-PRUE

Calvary, despite sharing much of the same cast, is unrelated and much darker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGM5rq_vX4U
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Alatar - what was wrong with the Spidey film? I haven't seenit but hopeful for it (since Garfield is such a brilliant Parker). And I know which key moment you speak of.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

You sound like Galadriel. (I know what it is you saw.)

;)

We've been watching SHIELD, and it's quite good. It took an unexpected turn two episodes ago. My hunch was right, but it was still surprising.

I will check out The Guard. That does sound good.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Smaug's voice wrote:Alatar - what was wrong with the Spidey film? I haven't seenit but hopeful for it (since Garfield is such a brilliant Parker). And I know which key moment you speak of.
In honesty? Nothing was wrong with it, but it just didn't really do much for me. The effects were fab, the story was good, the acting was good... it just didn't fire on all cylinders for some reason. I'd put it on a par with the Thor movies.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Thor definitely didn't do it for me, either. The problem with superheroes is they are so 'super' they lose any shred of humanity, especially when battling huge, non-human villans.

They may be great action flicks for the teenage boys, but they totally miss out involving the audience on an emotional level.

The really good superhero movies avoid that trap.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

@ :rofl: Lalaith
Alatar wrote:
Smaug's voice wrote:Alatar - what was wrong with the Spidey film? I haven't seenit
but hopeful for it (since Garfield is such a brilliant Parker). And I
know which key moment you speak of.
In honesty? Nothing was wrong with it, but it just didn't really
do much for me. The effects were fab, the story was good, the acting
was good... it just didn't fire on all cylinders for some reason. I'd
put it on a par with the Thor movies.
was it better than the first movie, the one released in 2012? I am not too keen on Thor though.

Silver - Spiderman is one of the most humane superhero though. The first two filns from the original trilogy and the recent reboot did show tbat fairly well
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Yes, he is. I was referring to Thor in my post, not Spiderman.

This 'humanness' was one of the main reasons (IMO) that the Marvel universe did so very well. The Fantastic Four comics showed the characters arguing and even fighting with one another, and Ben (The Thing) had a street gang (The Yancy Streeters) who were constantly picking on him, and playing practical jokes.

This was all very new. Previous to this superheroes, such as Superman, were so perfect they hardly seemed human.

Side note: one of my cousins had the first year or two of F.F. I used to read the comics when I went to my aunt's house for lunch. Of course, the comics which would be worth a fortune today, were eventually thrown out. But they did get me interested enough in the F.F. that I purchased 2 copies at a school rummage sale. The are not at all in good condition, but since one of them covers the introduction of The Watcher and the Red Ghost, and the other features Dr. Doom, I think they would still be worth something...

I hope to go to a comic con sometime soon, and get Stan Lee to autograph them, then get them evaluated! :D I think they are issues # 11 and 13.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Providing insulting and dismissive remarks based on preconceived notions about someone's likely opinion on a subject doesn't seem to be a good M.O. Just sayin'.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Neighbors. Funny. :D
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Vertical Limit. Bad, but not quite bad enough to end up being good. I did end up screaming at the movie a couple times. I think that's why S Netflixed it for us, actually. Just to watch me watch. :help:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Saw The Grand Budapest Hotel on the weekend. Loved it! Quite bizarre, with some gothic grotesque characters intermixed with whimsically sweet ones, a storyline that runs apace, some outright hilarity and some dreadful cruelty, a Who's who cast that was just wonderful - Ralph Fiennes is perfection! - and the most appropriate drawn-on moustache I've ever seen.

I recommend it wholeheartedly. I will have to get a copy of this film of my very own as soon as it is released to DVD.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

I've seen The Grand Budapest Hotel some weeks ago and enjoyed it from the first to the last moment.

Last weekend I saw The Help. I haven't yet read the book. It was a good movie, although I thought the characters were either a bit too good or too bad.
How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it.
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

The book is awesome, a lot better than the movie. I read the book first and was a bit disappointed with the movie afterwards.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The new X-men is quite good, I highly recommend it!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Saw Twelve Years a Slave about a month ago. Very powerful film, but not the easiest to sit through.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Well, at the risk of being plebeian, I want to see Godzilla. Has anyone else seen it?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I didn't end up seeing Godzilla, but we did go see Edge of Tomorrow. It was very good!