The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Smaug's voice »

This is just a thread for us to share what film we saw and what we thought of it. It doesn't have to be in the theatres.

I haven't had the chance till now, but I finally watched Schindler's List yesterday.
Such a classic movie. And probably my favorite from Spielberg.
The liquidation of Krakow was far more realistic than any film or docudrana I have ever seen. And the girl in the red and the burning candles, were so very moving touches to an already moving tale. 10/10 from me.
Last edited by Smaug's voice on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

OMG THE LEGO MOVIE WAS SO GREAT OMG GO SEE IT OMG SO GOOD OMG
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

You are a bad man!

(:love:)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

:scratch: sorry not quite gettin' it.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

(I'm not sure which man you're referring to. :))
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

(you)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I watched Frozen with the kids. Really enjoyed it. Probably my favourite Disney since Hunchback. (Pixars don't count)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Frozen was the last I've seen in the theatre so far. It was great - but the animated short that preceded it was even better! (I think it was called "Get a Horse")
eborr

Post by eborr »

Thor the dark world loved the vimto references
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:(you)
(why?)

:?

Looking over the past 3 years of Oscar nominees, I've personally seen American Hustle, Gravity, The Wolf of Wall Street, Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Lincoln, The Artist, Hugo, and The Tree of Life and - dead serious - if I were voting for Oscars, I'd vote over The LEGO Movie as best movie over every one of those. It'll never happen but I'd love to see it recognized at this years Oscars outside the obligatory Best Animation. At the very least, it deserves a Best Screenplay Nóm as the writing is crazy-genius levels of goodness.
-The Decemberists

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Well, the LEGO movie has the single most annoying (and catchy) song written ever despite the rest of the film being very good.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Last movie I saw in theatres was DoS...'Nuff said!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

yovargas wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:(you)
(why?)

:?
I thought you were being mocking, with the supersize text and kiddie text-speak. I guess I was wrong.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Supersize text and kiddie text-speak to indicate gleeful enthusiasm. :D
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I get it now. Sorry.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

When I said " I don't quite get it :scratch: " I also thought yovi-bear ( :P ) was being sarcastic.
Sorry here as well!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I saw "Monument Men" last weekend, and came away VERY impressed!
It was SO well done!

It stuck to historical facts, and did not throw in any of the usual American jingoistic flag-waving. There were many very poignant, beautiful moments, and also some very funny ones. I cried several times (and my step-son confessed to tearing up, too, during the Christmas scene.)

They threw in many little things that caught the true horror of the war:
Hidden text.
the Hitler youth sniper, the barrels full of gold teeth found along with other Nazi plunder, and brief shots of the death camps.
(I have blacked out some very minor spoilers that don't give away anything of the plot.)

I also like the way the characters are portrayed 'warts and all'. Some of them are recovering alcoholics, and some of them bungle, with disastrous results. None of them are professional soldiers, and they are not afraid to admit being frightened and feeling out of place on the front lines. All of them share a vey clear vision of what they are trying to do: rescue over 1,000 years of culture from the hands of those bent on stealing or destroying it.

I had not realized until I saw the film that Hitler issued a directive ordering all the hoards of priceless artwork be destroyed in event of his death or capture. :shock:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I'm on a week long vacation at a timeshare in San Diego with my 91-year-old, sight impaired dad and have been having some trouble finding the intersection of movies he'd like to see but hasn't seen yet, movies that don't rely much on facial and other visual cues, movies I'd like to see but haven't seen yet, and what's available in the timeshare's library. So far we have watched Lincoln and Warhorse. Both were mildly interesting, but not up to the hype I'd heard about them. Perhaps they would have been better on the big screen.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The Lego Movie is both great and cunning.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

18-hour airplane ride, so...

1. Captain Phillips: Directed by Paul Greengrass, who I think is great. And he doesn't let me down. This could have easily descended into standard action thrill-ride, but instead it soars. Great film.

2. Gatsby: Thought I was going to hate it (not a fan of the director), but I enjoyed it for the most part.

3. The new Thor movie: *shrugs* Cool to see their version of "dark elves" from Norse myth, but otherwise forgettable.

4. All Is Lost: Saw it a second time. Great film. But I have reversed my previous assessment of it as better than Gravity.

5. Gravity: Yeah, what am I doing on a plane watching two disaster films? It held up wonderfully, even on that tiny screen on the seat back. Just shy of a masterpiece (some of the dialogue doesn't do it for me).

6. Elysium: I went in wanting to like this film. And it was horrible. Egregious dialogue, stupid script and terrible acting from Jodie Foster, that South Africa-accented special forces guy with the beard, and "Spider," possibly the most poorly-acted main character in a blockbuster film in a long time. Much worse than I could have imagined, especially since I enjoyed District 9, the director's other offering.