Not your typical movie

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Beutlin

Not your typical movie

Post by Beutlin »

Every one of us likes or even loves a certain film or two that does not fit into your typical set of preferences (I did not want to label these films as guilty pleasures because I am not a fan of the term.). You saw it with an old friend decades ago and still cannot dismiss it; you saw it in a moment of your life where it strangely touched you; you love it not just despite of its flaws but because of them. It doesn’t have to the bad film (it could even be a great film) but it’s just not your typical film.

Space Jam: One of my favorite films is 1996’s “Space Jam”. It was my first cinema experience, and my brother and I spent the rest of the year frantically playing basketball in our room listening to the soundtrack. Whenever I hear that song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9FImc2LOr8 I feel the urge to slam dunk.

The Third Man: I like to think of myself as a cineaste but truth be told I have hardly watched any films which were shot before the 1970s. 1949’s “Third Man” is a wonderful film, arguably one of the best films of all time, and it is a wonderful portray of my home-city right after the war. Orson Welles is magnificent in it. The music fits perfectly.

Everybody's Fine: I would not say this film is very special to me. It is a rather mediocre American remake of an Italian film. But when Robert De Niro started to cry in that film, I inexplicably began to sob too! Somehow somewhere I sympathized with his character.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Re: Not your typical movie

Post by Smaug's voice »

Other films will come to my mind later, surely.

Meanwhile, I love the Johnny English films involving Rowan Atkinson (I'm quite a fan of his :) ), especially the second one.
They are poorly made with sometimes bad acting as is the case with most spoofs.
But it is just plain stupid fun. Atkinson can make me laugh in almost any role he plays.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Oh boy...this is going to be embarrassing! ;)

My guilty pleasure is Cinderella movies - well, not just any, especially not the Disney cartoon...just two in particular:

The first was the only movie I've seen multiple times in the cinema - when I was 10 years old "The Slipper and the Rose" came out and I fell in love....

...no, not with Richard Chamberlain, but with the whole sumptuous production - the costumes, the scenery, the ensemble cast of the cream of British acting royalty, the expanded Cinderella storyline, and most especially the music (by the Sherman brothers.) I wanted to be Gemma Craven... I loved the fact that the movie made me cry - there was a twist in the tale - and the characters had to work for their "happy ever after". It prompted my first foray into movie memorabilia - on my pocket money, of course, acquiring a souvenir publication (which I still have, tattered and well-read) even a jigsaw or two over the years, and later on discovered some good friends of my parents had the LP of the soundtrack which they let me borrow - I was in heaven! These days I have the pleasure of watching it on DVD with my daughter...

The second is the Drew Barrymore/Doougray Scott "Ever After" - another different take on the age old fairy tale. Set in a different country and earlier, Renaissance time period, the storyline still has the power to bring a lump to the throat - as evil Angelica Houston rips the wings of Danielle's beautiful costume, and burns her father's book - and warm the heart as the prince falls for her feisty, educated and outspoken personality...

<sigh>

Last edited by Elentári on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hmm. Guilty pleasures...

I still love Excalibur and Ladyhawke, and the original Clash of the Titans. In fact pretty much any fantasy I saw as a kid. Even Tom Cruise in Legend!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

My brother and I used to be able to quote the ENTIRE film.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

All the musicals in which Fred Astaire (esp with Ginger) or Gene Kelly dance. All of them. I'll drop just about anything I'm doing to watch.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Other people's guilty pleasures are my typical set of preferences. :blackeye: To name a few

Cowboys and Aliens I did say I can like something even while arguing effectively for why it is bad. :sunny: Talk about paint by the numbers! The alien pops up exactly when you expect it to. When a character is given a knife at the beginning, you know just what he will do with it at the end, and he does. For all that, I had a great deal of fun watching it. Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford do a lot with a little. And I liked that it did not go for the gore and gristle. The aliens are nonsensical bogeycreatures, which allows the movie to focus on the human characters setting aside their enmities and joining forces. Which they do, in an entertaining and surprisingly heartwarming fashion.

Mummy and Mummy Returns OK movies, but dayuuuum, Oded Fehr is hotttt. :drool:

And if I were to dig deep into my youthful fancies... Predator Nuff said.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Frelga, not at all what I would have guessed!

Except maybe The Mummy, knowing your Oded weakness :P .
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Now I am curious. What would you guess? :)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Alatar, I love Ladyhawke, too! It's one of those movies where I promise myself I'll just watch a wee bit, because after all, I DO have it on a VCR tape...and before I know it I've watched the WHOLE thing, commercials and all!

Another movie I can't tear myself away from: Rio Bravo. The chemistry between the characters (John Wayne Dean Martin, Walter Brennan and Ricky Nelson) is just perfect. There are lots of tense moments, but there's also some really funny stuff, mainly between Wayne and the lady gambler Feathers (Angie Dickinson) and a wonderful musical interlude with Dean and Ricky that serves as the perfect tension-breaker. The songs they sing are so nice you are liable to find yourself humming them afterwards. Westerns don't come much better than this, IMO!

Space Jam is another guilty pleasure. Mel Brooks is SO funny! (Robin Hood: Men In Tights is another really good one!)

The Man in the Iron Mask is another film I can't get enough of. That climactic moment, when the musketeers make their death-defying charge (All for one, and one for all!) ...oh, do I ever love that scene! Yes, it may be cornball, it may be clichéd, but I love it just the same!

[the Four Musketeers and Phillipe are trapped by riflemen at the other end of the hallway]

Aramis: D'Artagnan... They're young Musketeers. They've been weaned on our legends. They revere us. It is an advantage.

Porthos: Yes. Why don't we charge them?

D'Artagnan: I trained these men. They will fight to the death. But if we must die - if WE must die - let it be like this.

[He draws his sword and points it at the floor. Aramis, Porthos, and Athos, join their swords with his]

Athos: One for all. All for one.

So many other great moments in that film, too...the secret romance between D'Artagnan and the Queen, and the rose she puts on his grave at the end, Phillipe's despair when he is put back into the mask, the chemistry between the musketeers...great film!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Alatar wrote:Hmm. Guilty pleasures...

I still love Excalibur and Ladyhawke, and the original Clash of the Titans. In fact pretty much any fantasy I saw as a kid. Even Tom Cruise in Legend!
Oh yes, Ladyhawke...I still have a soft spot for Rutger Hauer! :love:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

My guilty pleasure is UHF, the cult 80s comedy starring Weird Al.

Last edited by kzer_za on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Passdagas the Brown

UHF! Yes! Especially Conan the Librarian.

Don't you know the Dewey Decimal system!!??
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

"Supplies!"
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Paul Verhoeven's Flesh + Blood, with Rutger Hauer and Jennifer Jason Leigh. So awful. So perfect.
Passdagas the Brown

Primula Baggins wrote:"Supplies!"
Very few people appreciate that Kramer was a huge star (in my mind) well before he was Kramer.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:UHF! Yes! Especially Conan the Librarian.

Ha! Besides Jackson's LotR movies and a few others things, we have a lot of overlap in our movie tastes.
Passdagas the Brown

kzer_za wrote:

Ha! Besides Jackson's LotR movies and a few others things, we have a lot of overlap in our movie tastes.
A friend of UHF is a friend of mine. :)
Passdagas the Brown

kzer_za wrote:

A friend of UHF is a friend of mine. :)