Batman vs Superman

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Batman vs Superman

Post by Alatar »

I... that was my point... Is my post so badly worded nobody understands me? :help:
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

(I understood you. :kiss: )
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I did too. :)

I had a friend watch it who said he liked it. Eh, it does nothing for me at all. I know there's some kind of underlying story arc there, but all I can keep thinking is, "Why is Batman fighting Superman? That is stupid! They are on the same side. It makes no sense at all." :nono:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Sorry that I misunderstood you, Alatar!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Apparently it's doing well at the box office.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

People seem to like it a lot despite the poor reviews. All 7 of my friends (only two of them are actual comic-nerds) and two seniors said they enjoyed it.
I'll wait for the video though.

ETA: Surprised to see even the critics praising Affleck's turn as Bruce Wayne.

ETA 2: Happy Easter everyone!!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Happy Easter, SV. Nice to see you around.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Oh, I always lurk here. [#Stalker Alert]
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I only saw Affleck in the first half hour of Daredevil. I don't have any particular complaints about his acting because everything else was so dreadful.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Saw it. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Wonder Woman was the best part of it. Though Affleck was pretty good as Bats, he was better as Bruce Wayne.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Haven't seen the film, but for a while I was thinking that it is just so big that the bad reviews (or the fact that it apparently isn't that good) wouldn't hurt it at the box office. Apparently though it's had an 'historic' box office drop off. It's now at over $700 million, and so it'll probably make back its $800 million cost, but it's hard to escape the conclusion that a better film would have made significantly more money.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I knew this is going to happen. I saw 300 and I liked it. I saw The Watchmen and I was in the middle, and then I had the misfortune of seeing...Suckerpunch. :( I have not forgiven Zack Snyder since. I'm fully spoiled for Man of steel and BVS and I'm not surprised that he screwed them up. So many people I knew were not happy with Man of Steel and it seems as if he just did more of what people did not like in Man of Steel in Batman v Superman. On top of that, Snyder can't handle complex, stories so I knew it would not do well. Even though I wasn't going to see the movie, I had hoped it would do well financially as I do want to see other movies in the in the DC universe, such as The Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. I am surprised that the critics rating it's so low and that both fans, hardcore comic fans & critics are consistent in their complaints across the board. That says that there's a lot of weaknesses in Zack Snyder and Chris Terrio and they probably shouldn't be working on Justice League part one, which I was hoping to see. Now I really don't know. :(
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I HAVE NOW SEEN BATMAN VS SUPERMAN. IT WAS BAD. VERY, VERY BAD.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

You poor dear!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
eborr

Post by eborr »

I saw it on Blu Ray my youngest got the directors cut, which is supposed to be a lot better - I am very glad I didn't see the cinema version. I thought overall it was horrible, there were some small pleasures, it was nice seeing Lois not being done up as a glamour-puss, but redeeming features are few.

Looking forward now to Dr Strange by the Seven Suns of Cinnibus I am
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Didn't see it, probably won't see it until it's on cable.

Since this is sorta DC thread, what did you guys think of the Wonder Woman trailer? I walked in in the middle of it, and my first thought was that they remade Captain America with a female lead.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:Since this is sorta DC thread, what did you guys think of the Wonder Woman trailer?
I thought it looked very pretty and she looks very cool as WW, but otherwise didn't have much opinion either way.
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'm with you, eborr. I think Dr. Strange looks intriguing.

(It does not have anything to do with Benedict Cumberbatch.)

(All right, maybe a little bit.)
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I liked the Wonder Woman trailer. Her and the women of Themyscara, look physically intimidating. Considering it's a culture of warrior women, I am glad they got that look down. I just hope it's good. Anyone see Suicide Squad?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Suicide Squad trailer was a firm nope for me, and after I heard about what the director put the actors through, I was even less interested in seeing it. Which essentially put my interest into negative numbers.

I know Wonder Woman is important to many comic fans. I just can't look at her costume without going "Ouchie!" at that sharp-angled metal brassiere. I guess she's mostly bulletproof so she is probably stabby-clothing proof as well. It's just... the underwire bras are bad enough.