RIP Roger Ebert

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

RIP Roger Ebert

Post by axordil »

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ng/245408/

One of the things that always struck me about Ebert was the consummate craftsmanship of his writing. Transparent and subtle by turns as the subject required, whether film or life in general--the guy could make words do what he wanted.
SirDennis

Re: RIP Roger Ebert

Post by SirDennis »

axordil wrote:http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ng/245408/

One of the things that always struck me about Ebert was the consummate craftsmanship of his writing. Transparent and subtle by turns as the subject required, whether film or life in general--the guy could make words do what he wanted.
It takes one to know one apparently. Well said ax.

I'm struck by what an institution he became -- and remained -- even in the age of blog. Achieving a Pulitzer for film reviewing is no light feat. Ebert definitely will be missed; God rest his soul.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I am very sad about this. He was my hero for two very different reasons:

1. I took part in a week-long seminar run by him in 1991 or 1992 (long ago!) in Boulder, where in front of a theater's worth of people he dissected THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, shot by shot. It was an amazing experience and taught me so much that I have used in my teaching ever since.

2. His courage facing cancer--really LIVING with cancer, despite the sort of setbacks that few people have to deal with--has been such an inspiration to me for a long time, but, yeah, especially over the past year.

What an amazing person!
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

And then there are the takedowns...oh my.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/0 ... 17219.html

My favorite may be the one on The Village:
To call it an anticlimax would be an insult not only to climaxes but to prefixes. It's a crummy secret, about one step up the ladder of narrative originality from It Was All a Dream. It's so witless, in fact, that when we do discover the secret, we want to rewind the film so we don't know the secret anymore. And then keep on rewinding, and rewinding, until we're back at the beginning, and can get up from our seats and walk backward out of the theater and go down the up escalator and watch the money spring from the cash register into our pockets.