Much Ado about Whedon

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Shakespeare-hating? How can you put up with this man?
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

English is his second language. Elizabethan English just doesn't work for him. He doesn't even get the sex jokes. Also, the ex before me was a theater nerd who dragged him to the local Shakespeare festival and wouldn't shut up about the technical details of the productions, so, in addition to impenetrable language, Shakespeare comes with bad memories and emotional scarring. I can't blame him as I have an ex who totally ruined anime for me. Every time I try to watch it, I get hit with a wall of bad memories from that relationship. Sucks.

Our literary tastes typically run more or less in sync so I forgive him for this. He did, after all, drop a reference to 100 Days of Solitude in a casual conversation once. For that, I gave him my phone number.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It opens this Friday in San Francisco. Any chance of using it as moot bait? Sunday?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

River wrote:English is his second language. Elizabethan English just doesn't work for him. He doesn't even get the sex jokes. Also, the ex before me was a theater nerd who dragged him to the local Shakespeare festival and wouldn't shut up about the technical details of the productions, so, in addition to impenetrable language, Shakespeare comes with bad memories and emotional scarring. I can't blame him as I have an ex who totally ruined anime for me. Every time I try to watch it, I get hit with a wall of bad memories from that relationship. Sucks.

Our literary tastes typically run more or less in sync so I forgive him for this. He did, after all, drop a reference to 100 Days of Solitude in a casual conversation once. For that, I gave him my phone number.
Does he know about Forbidden Planet or Ten Things I Hate About You or She's the Man? :D
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Probably. He doesn't hate the stories. Just the delivery. If Much Ado About Nothing were to be done in modern English he'd be fine with it. Sort of like how if someone made a movie of the Odyssey and all lines were delivered as epic poetry, he'd most likely run away screaming even though he thoroughly enjoys O Brother Where Art Thou.

Sad really. I saw Twelfth Night at the Boulder Shakespeare Festival last year. I think he would've gotten a kick out of the staging as they did Illyria up like a city on the Adriatic coast and dressed the characters accordingly.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

AH!! JUST SAW IT!! SOO LOOOVED IT!! :D :D :D
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Anyone knows how long it will be playing ?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I didn't know a thing about Much Ado before seeing this. Going back and re-reading this thread, this comment now strikes me as somewhat...ironic:
Frelga wrote:I got quite into his Castle series, despite my usual aversion to plots in which a couple are drawn to each other despite their initial bickering.
:D

(I also have developed a strong distaste for this cliche so I understand. ;))
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Ha! I forgot. Well, Shakespeare can pull it off. :rofl:

I don't so much hate the cliche as the typical execution, in which the male lead treats the woman with smug contempt, and yet somehow she falls for him. (I'm looking at you, Han Solo.) At least Benedict and Beatrice meet as equals. If anything, he gets the worst of it.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

The closest theatre showing it around here is over 40 miles away. :( I could manage that, of course, but sheesh.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I'm off to brave the heat to see this.

By brave the heat I mean sit in a nice Air conditioned theater for a few hours.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

It was an awesome movie. I don't know if it was Whedon or Shakespeare, but it got to me like it always does :).
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I especially liked the part where that really witty, funny thing happened and then somebody said that really great line. So, you know, like, the whole thing? :D
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

indeed :).
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Finally got to see it. Absolute genius.