Life of Pi

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Life of Pi

Post by Dave_LF »

I never would have thought this book could be made into a film. And if it were, I wouldn't have thought the plot and themes would survive intact. And if they did, I wouldn't have expected it to be good.

Shows what I know. :)
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Did you see it in 3D?
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

No; unfortunately the 3d showtimes didn't line up with babysitter availability. I figured it wouldn't matter since from what I remembered of the book, I expected it to be rather barren visually. But boy was I wrong on that count too!
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Just got back from seeing it. :shock: Ang Lee did a good job translating it and my eyes are full of eye candy.

Between Pi, Lincoln and Skyfall, I'm having a great few weeks of movie viewing and I still have The Hobbit to go.

Sadly I haven't seen the last Twilight movie .....but I haven't seen any of the other Twilight movies all the way through yet either. :tumbleweed:
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I just saw it and am gobsmacked. The book truly came to life. Glorious, terrifying, intense life. The tale of this gentle soul's fight to survive was more than I had hoped to see. And there is scene after scene of such beauty and wonder... it made me sorry I didn't catch it in 3D, even though I generally dislike 3D.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

This is 100% worth seeing in 3D, Wampus. :) Best film in 3D I've ever seen, bar Avatar. Life of Pi is one of the most gorgeously beautiful, astoundingly beautiful films I've ever seen!

Loved the soundtrack, too. :)

The story ... well, I certainly found it very engaging. I like survival stories. :)

Yes, it engaged me. But I wasn't bowled over or deeply moved. (I've not read the book.) This is how I'm like these days: it takes a heck of a lot, in cinema or literature, to move me. The PJ treatment of Tolkien, for all its flaws, has simply spoiled me for anything else. 'Tis true.

And, I suspect, recent life-events which are far more intense than anything cinematic, have spoiled me too.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

The theological depth resonates with me just as much as the visual and musical beauty. The more I think of it, the more I am drawn into the need for a narrative of meaning. I can't say more without giving away too much, though.

I'm so glad I saw it on the big screen.

Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I agree Wampus, the narrative meaning is why I want to read the book now.

I am just so happy it got several Oscar nods. Sad The Hobbit didn't get more.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I found the book kind of creepy and manipulative, so it's odd to read all these descriptions of the film as uplifting! I even saw some claim somewhere that the film was good for the whole family, and that took me by surprise, considering what the book's about. Maybe the creepiness of the book doesn't translate into film? I haven't seen the film because I so disliked the book, but perhaps I should . . . .
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I found the book hard to read in places because of the sheer suffering involved, although I still was glad I read it. But the film was a much better experience, in part because it was condensed. More importantly, I knew where it was going and saw themes weaving through it more clearly.

And although I'd have never predicted a movie could even be made of this book, Ang Lee actually improved it. I have a vivid imagination, but this vision surpassed it, over and over.

Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I certainly didn't get creepy from the film, but I didn't get it from the book either...
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Just saw this and I thought it was a stunningly beautiful film. Wonderfully cast. It is rare that I think a movie improves on a book, but in this case, it does. I saw it in 3 D, which is how the film was conceived.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame