It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:19 am 
Throw me a rope.

Thank you. That means we may have it in Jan-Feb next year.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:30 am 
of Vinyamar

There are ways and means! ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:50 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

And I would be looking into those!

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:17 pm 
of Vinyamar

Attachment:
Norrell.jpg
Norrell.jpg [ 75.86 KiB | Viewed 5197 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:11 am 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

Ooooh.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:02 pm 
Living in hope

And, it's coming to BBC America on June 13.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/jonathan-stra ... r-norrell/

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:41 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

Yayyy. Have to see how I can see it. Don't know if BBC America has on demand.

---------------

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:50 am 
Throw me a rope.

Alatar wrote:
There are ways and means! ;)

With the Dallas Buyers fracas in Australia, any ways or means other than paid or free to air are increasingly risky.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:28 pm 
of Vinyamar

Well, I finally got round to starting this! Ep one was very promising. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:36 pm 
Feeling grateful

I don't recall whether you read the book, and if so, if you were a fan. Either way, I am pleased to hear that you find it promising.

I recently reread the book yet again. The only book that I have ever gotten as much appreciation out of rereads of is LOTR, and I don't think I was moved to reread it as often as JS&MN as soon after first reading it. It is a book that almost seems designed with me in mind.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:47 am 
Living in hope

:bang:

I have got to figure out how to break through into this book. This and the Silmarillion (probably the Silmarillion most) are the most frustrating reading experiences of my life. Why don't I get it? What am I blind to? I can read and love frigging Islandia, plus Trollope, plus Dickens at his most annoying . . . why can't I bust through into receiving and enjoying this book so many of my intelligent, perceptive, wonderful friends love, and love discussing? :bawling:

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:55 am 
of Vinyamar

I think I may have been the first on these boards to read it actually. I remember picking it up blind, having heard nothing about it and recommending it here. However, I haven't read it since, so its like rediscovering the story anew while watching. That said, everything I'm seeing rings true. I don't think anything so far has strayed from the books.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:17 am 
Meanwhile...

Prim, this intelligent person was not into this book, either, so don't feel too bad. ;) I don't. :P

I know why it did not capture me - I never lost the sense that I was reading a book, never really got my head into the world. It just felt like the author was showing their work throughout. Which actually makes me think that the story may benefit from the adaptation. What little I saw of it looks great.

‘No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts.’
Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:49 pm 
Feeling grateful

Different stokes for different folks. I tried to read Islandia and couldn't get through that, and I think I would not be able to get through Trollope if you offered me a million bucks to do so (maybe). And, of course, I was never able to appreciate Sir Terry, despite the best efforts of my friends.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:19 pm 
Living in hope

I can totally understand why people don't go for Islandia. It is a weird book, oddly structured and slow. Its author wrote it for his own pleasure, not for publication, and what's published is actually greatly trimmed down by his daughter, with a lot of historical and geological (!) detail removed. Yet to me it feels like a vivid journey through a real place, filled with real people—not every leg of the trip is fascinating in itself, and actually not a lot happens in this story; but it's all very real and beautiful to me. But if you don't or can't catch the spell of it, it probably seems endless and aimless. And the main character starts out pretty thick-headed. For me, though, re-reading it is like taking a vacation in a uniquely beautiful country.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:34 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

So I missed the premiere on TV but just went to the BBC America website & they have it posted online. Muwahahaha.

I will try & watch it this weekend. :)

---------------

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:26 pm 
Feeling grateful

I'll be curious to hear what you think of it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:47 am 
Meanwhile...

It's on demand on Xfinity, free.

I think I'm the only person in the world who adores Comcast.

‘No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts.’
Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:48 am 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

It's also on demand on Verizon free. Not in HD (the free one).

I started it & had to stop as irika woke up with an ear pain again. :(. Will try on the iPad now.... Because I loved loved all that I saw, and don't want to postpone it till tomorrow. Plus the SD was annoying.

ETA: dammit, the website has posted episode 2, and taken down episode 1.

Episode 2 it is, I saw half of episode 1, so shd be fine.

Eta2: it's not the whole episode! Just the trailer. Boo hoo hoo.

---------------

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:15 am 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

Saw it. Loved it. The acting is superb, the characters well chosen. So impressed.

Will see Episode 2 soon.

---------------