Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens—non-spoiler discussion

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm

Post by axordil »

The Phantom Menace remains the only film I have ever seen twice in a theater because I couldn't believe how bad it was the first time and needed to confirm it wasn't just me.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens"
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Such an awful name. I prefer the alleged earlier working title: "Star Wars: Episode VII - The Ancient Fear."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I have to admit that the names of Star Wars films don't bother me anymore - 'The Empire Strikes Back' is a silly name, but it's still one of the greatest-ever films.

As we count down to the return of Star Wars, here's a Youtube video that I quite enjoyed: What the Original Trilogy got wrong (language warning, etc). The Stormtroopers, the Death Star and, for that matter, the Dark Side of the Force always bothered me a bit as well. I've recently re-watched all the SW films, save for TPM, which I still find unwatchable, and it was interesting to have the experience of considering them as a whole.
Passdagas the Brown

True. All the Star Wars titles are pretty terrible (with ESB being one of the worst names, while arguably the best of the films). But that doesn't mean we couldn't get a good one this time!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't particularly like "The Ancient Fear" any better.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Um, guys, the series/franchise/whatever is already named Star Wars. With that sort of base material, there is no hope for anything other than cheese. And, given that the best of the movies had the misfortune to be called The Empire Strikes Back, I'm not going to read anything into the title of Episode VII.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Passdagas the Brown

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I don't particularly like "The Ancient Fear" any better.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
You're wrong.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

You're wrong that he doesn't like it any better?

Technically (and linguistically) you're wrong :P
Passdagas the Brown

A joke. Not a very good one, I admit. :)
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I don't like it because titles should not assume previous knowledge of the story, and that's exactly what you're doing when you include a proper noun from it.* ** ***

*I have the same problem with "The Desolation of Smaug" ("of the dragon" would have been ok)

**"Fellowship of the Ring" is toeing the line

***"The Hobbit" deliberately subverts the rule in order to create curiosity--this is ok. But "The Force Awakens" is just assuming that everyone already knows what The Force is.
Passdagas the Brown

I agree, Dave. However, the original trilogy also suffers from that, with "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi." The former is better, because it's almost generic (as opposed to the "Galactic Empire Strikes Back," "Darth Vader Strikes Back," or something equally silly), but the latter is far too specific. In that sense, "The Desolation of Smaug" is a miserable title, IMO.

That's what I liked about the fan title "The Ancient Fear." It assumes no knowledge of the story, and is far more evocative than "The Force Awakens." However, it was a fan title, and may have nothing to do with the actual story!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I agree, Dave. However, the original trilogy also suffers from that, with "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi." The former is better, because it's almost generic (as opposed to the "Galactic Empire Strikes Back," "Darth Vader Strikes Back," or something equally silly), but the latter is far too specific.
No argument there. I guess they may as well be consistent. :)

Though I barely even conceive of "The Empire Strikes Back" in terms of the meanings of the individual words--it was such a fixture of the world when I was growing up I practically think of "TheEmpireStrikesBack" as a word in its own right (with an odd emphasis pattern).
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That leads to the point I would make, which is that just about everyone in the potential audience for these films knows what "the Force" is. Even if you've never seen the films, you've heard of the Force. It's a pop culture trope, at least in North America. "Use the Force, Luke!" "May the Force be with you" (to which Lutherans reflexively respond, "And also with you").

If you're not connected to popular culture at all, you probably would have no interest in seeing these new movies anyway.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

But when will we get the prequel "The Force Takes a Nap"??
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

yovargas wrote:But when will we get the prequel "The Force Takes a Nap"??
Ask and ye shall receive!

(Actually, despite the Clone Wars style graphics, its like a cross between A New Hope and Firefly.... and pretty good fun!)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Passdagas the Brown

Wouldn't "The Force Eats Breakfast" come before "The Force Takes a Nap?" Or are we suggesting that the 2nd film skip ahead to after lunch?

ETA: I was close! The next two film titles have been announced. Episode VIII: "The Force Reluctantly Goes to Work After a Quick Breakfast, and then Eats Lunch at its Desk" and Episode IX: "The Force Settles in for a Low-Key Netflix Evening, Before Going to Sleep Again."
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I'm thinking "The Force Eats Brunch" would be more appropriate since, as we all know, the Force loves mimosas.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Tcheh! Mimosas are so Dawn of the Republic, I can't even.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

What about The Force Takes a Coffee Break?
When you can do nothing what can you do?