For the love of Spock

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
eborr

For the love of Spock

Post by eborr »

Came across this project on kickstarter - thought it very worthwhile, and made a small donation, please take a look,
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Re: For the love of Spock

Post by JewelSong »

Was there supposed to be a link in that post, eborr?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Adam Nimoy wants to make a documentary about the development of the character Spock:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ad ... ntary-film
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
eborr

Post by eborr »

JewelSong wrote:Was there supposed to be a link in that post, eborr?

there was doh

thanks Prim
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
eborr

Post by eborr »

Project has funded - looking forward to seeing the result sometime in 2016

Gwyn A. Williams,
eborr

Post by eborr »

Got my digital bundle today, some great stuff, especially from the 60's sf magazines - a comment from the blooper reel

"this planet is the suppository of the universe"

Gwyn A. Williams,
eborr

Post by eborr »

Just got the link to my early release copy of the film. I have only had time to watch about 30 minutes of a 1 hour, 50 minute documentary. I think it's very good, obviously a work of love, it's well done with interviews with all the right people. I know it's going on a Theatre release in the US, given the quality of filming I have seen it certainly would benefit from the big screen.

Gwyn A. Williams,
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I went to a panel at the Star Trek con in NYC this past weekend where Adam Nimoy introduced the film and discussed how it was made. The trailer made me cry, so I can just imagine the movie. I'll be seeing it this weekend in Denver at an Art House theater. Can't wait!

"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Oh, I DO hope it gets released here in Canada as well! I'd LOVE to see it!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
eborr

Post by eborr »

Seen it through a couple of times the last one with my youngest son aged 11, who watched it right through. Towards the end it becomes more of a personal portrait, which may or may not please people.

Given that it was crowd funded it was clear that Adam was able to retain a very personal control of the film, and it very much became a son's tribute to his father.

The interviewee's were all relevant and the contributions, were almost always good, and often riveting. The reference materials well diverse and well presented

One of my better KS investments. Highly recommended if you care about Star Trek, or have an interest in 20th and 21st century popular culture.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I hope I can see it somewhere soon. I would like that very much!

Thanks for the review, eborr. :)
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Well, I saw this last night and I really liked it. I was glad to see it on the "big screen" (I saw it in an ArtHouse movie theatre, so the screen was not actually all that big...) It was obviously a labor of love. Highly recommend to anyone who loved Spock and admired Leonard Nimoy as an actor or a man.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That's good to hear. :)
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

I almost felt this documentary was far more about Adam, and how he felt gypped as a kid with a famous and distant father, than it was necessarily about Leonard. A moment where Adam got to have HIS story in the spotlight. His sister didn't seem nearly as emotionally torn as Adam did.

That letter that Leonard wrote to his son just about killed me, though. Wow. That man had a lot of love to give.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King