BBC's Sherlock

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Narya, unfortunately, any videos produced outside Canada cannot be viewed on my computer due to legal issues.

And as for the rather shady methods, having had TWO very, very bad experiences with that sort of thing, (viruses and other crud) I shall give that a miss... :help:

However, my birthday is coming up soon, so I may drop some hints to family and close friends... 8)
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I fear that I may be getting bored of Cumberbatch...

I'm not there yet, but the more I see of him, the less interesting he becomes...

Still think he's a fine actor, but there's something missing.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Perhaps the problem is not with Cumberbatch ... .
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Personally, I think BC is an amazing actor with a lot of variance and a certain 'freshness'. He is on my top 5 list for A grade actors! Afterall, how many actors get to play so many classic villains? Freeman of course, is it rank 1.

V - did you see all the episodes upto Sign of Three?
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Smaug's voice wrote:
Hidden text.
I have a few theories for who the "Miss me?" person is at the end of S3 but I will keep quiet unless asked. ;) :D
Do tell :D
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Voronwë the Faithful

Smaug's voice wrote:V - did you see all the episodes upto Sign of Three?
Yup. And I'll watch the last episode soon.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Perhaps the problem is not with Cumberbatch ... .
Good point. I'm probably just watching too much stuff with him in it! I'd get tired of watching myself after a few minutes, nevermind over hours and hours of film.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Sir V wrote:Yup. And I'll watch the last episode soon.
So? Any reactions?
narya wrote:
Smaug's voice wrote:
Hidden text.
I have a few theories for who the "Miss me?" person is at the end of S3 but I will keep quiet unless asked. ;) :D
Do tell :D
Ooh. I thought no one would ever ask :D

My pet-theories:
Hidden text.
1. That is just one of Mycroft's trick. He did it so that Sherlock doesn't have to leave London. With the level of power he has in secret service, it is certainly not impossible for him to hack all screens in London.

2. It was not Moriarty who died. Perhaps there was an actual actor or someone who looked just like Moriarty's twin. Moriarty simplye paid him or, more likely, blackmailed him to do the act and cover his identity. We do know that there was a corpse in Rechenbach Fall which looked identical to Sherlock, which is why the little girl was afraid of him. So if we have a Sherlock-twin, why not a Moriarty-twin? :P

3. The real Moriarty has not revealed himself yet. The Moriarty we have seen till now was actually a fake, an agent of the real Moriarty. The real Moriarty has hacked the scene and is perhaps planning to finally come out.

4. His gun. It was not a regular gun, but rather a watergun? And instead of a bullet, blood was stored in it which came out when he clicked and he just acted along, playing dead.

Of course, all of these have a certain factor of disbelievability, but at this point it really looks more plausible than a case where the REAL Moriarty dies in front of us and JUST LIKE Sherlock comes out alive, unharmed.
Voronwë the Faithful

Smaug's voice wrote:
Sir V wrote:Yup. And I'll watch the last episode soon.
So? Any reactions?
Great fun.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

SV, I like all of them - very creative! :bow:
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

V - favorites?

Narya - I like to ponder. It's the only other "fandom" I have. :P

There are reports on the net saying that there is no confirmation for the season 4 date and depends on MF and BC's schedules. It might even be as late as 2016. :(
Voronwë the Faithful

Smaug's voice wrote:V - favorites?(
I'm not big on picking favorites or making comparisons. I liked all of the episodes of each season. My temptation would be to say "The Last Vow" but that is only because it is the one that I watched most recently. I was pleased that my sense of Mary from the previous episodes was confirmed, and I very much liked the way the built up to the episode through the previous two.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I should start watching this....
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Passdagas the Brown

However disappointed I was in season 3, I loved season 1 and 2, and am looking forward to season 4. Next to Game of Thrones, it's my favorite show currently on TV.
Voronwë the Faithful

Maybe the problem wasn't with season 3 ... . ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. However, I certainly did not find the quality at all reduced from the first two seasons.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

The quality of the story-telling was same. But my main qualms with season 3 are due to some big gapholes and some ridiculous OTTness. But I loved s3 non the less! (and Magnussen was an extremely hateful villian!)
Passdagas the Brown

Magnussen was great, but his plot line was undercooked.

I'm with SV on the OTTness. There was a lot of it in S3, and it grated. I just got tired of the "Sherlock formula" of rapid eye movements, fast-talking and quirky camera trickery being used as a means of displaying intelligence (and in S3, they used it as shorthand far too much). There are subtler and more interesting ways of showing his wit and intuition.

Looking forward to next season, though.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I just got tired of the "Sherlock formula" of rapid eye movements, fast-talking and quirky camera trickery being used as a means of displaying intelligence (and in S3, they used it as shorthand far too much). There are subtler and more interesting ways of showing his wit and intuition.

Looking forward to next season, though.
I agree there are more interesting ways - for instance the "Liberty Inn" in the Baskervilles was brilliant.
But I still love this "Sherlock forumla". As well as the exploration of his Mind-palace, which was one of the most breathtaking things I have seen on TV. The series literally delves into Sherlock's mind and shows us the logic, something that is missing in the books. (which also I love)
Last edited by Smaug's voice on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Passdagas the Brown

Agreed. It just seemed a bit lazily executed in S3.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I think they leaned on the tropes more in S3, but I also think they played with the character himself in many ways...putting him into the dreaded character arc, as opposed to letting him stay more or less static (as the ACD original was). Tricky to get right--change too much and it's not the same character, change too little and it's pointless.